Question PC PSU capacitor replacement help needed.

fiRe_p0weR

Prominent
Jan 13, 2020
Hello people! So how it all started:
Before a week i woke up for work, started the PC and went to make a cofee. I decided to watch an episode of "Supernatural" till its time for work. I watched half of it and i had to leave for work so i put it on pause and left for work. The work day then was over so i came home. The PC was as i left it, paused on the episode. I didnt feel like watching it, i wanted to play a game of HOTS so i decided to restart the PC for a fresh gaming experiance. THEN then problems started. After the restart i got "No signal" on my monitor... I was shocked! I usualy keep my PC open for better cooling and easier to periodically clean. The PC specs are:
MB - INTEL DG31PR
CPU - Im not really sure the exact model, some dual core CPU on 2.4 ghz
GPU - Radeon R9 280X (PowerColor)
RAM - 4GB DDR2 (2X2GB ADATA)
PSU - CoolerMaster GX 750W 80 Plus Bronze
HDDs - SSD 128GB ADATA and a regular (non SSD) SeaGate 256GB
Monitor - CROWN LED TV/Monitor 24"

I have to mention that before the accident occured i havent had problems with that PC for more than an year. So my first action was to clean the GPU, make sure the fans are spinning perfectly well and re-attach it to the mobo. No effect, still "No signal". At that point i could hear the windows login sound so i knew my PC boots up just fine. Then i thought that my HDMI cable had gone bad. Luckily i had 2 more spare tossed around. Tried both of them to no effect... still no effect. No signal. That got me really upset. At this point my fears were that eighter the GPU or the Monitor is dead. I was wrong. I had my old GPU laying around, Radeon HD 6570, so i gave it a try, i connected it via VGA cable and VOILA! The PC started perfectly fine. I was shocked! I thought "Gaming GPU my ass...". I couldnt accept that such expensive and advanced GPU would just die like this outta the blue... So i hooked it up again and wooof the PC started perfectly fine! You guys cant imageine the relief i got... Until 2 days ago when the nightmare repeated. I really got worried this time so i decided to solve the core of the problem this time. I took the GPU out, dismantled it, replaced the GPU chip thermal paste, re-heated carefully the solder points of the HDMI, DVI and the 8 and 6 pin power connector. Sprayed the same with "G-20 Dry contact cleaner" and waited 30min before inserting the GPU in the PCIe slot. So i started the PC and voila! It started perfectly fine and stable (no BSOD, no failed gpu driver message), it was working like nothing ever happened! The next day i bought a new monitor - JVC LED 32. No problems until this morning... I woke up, started the PC and the cursed "No signal" message appeared again. At this point i had no idea what could be the root of the problem and suddenly it hit me! It has to be the PSU! Took it out, dismantled it and guess what i found... Bumpy bad guy capacitor, 16v/2200uf. Weird thing was that it was just one capacitor and nothing else (atleast visually). So i desoldered it, went to the shop and bought a replacement (exactly the same ratings and low ESR) and i wanted to get a new HDMI cable, but they were out of stock so i got a DVI-HDMI one. On the way back home i thought "Idiot! Why didnt you took a picture of how the Capacitor was soldered?!?". I had a bad experiance long time ago on an old PC - A sloppy CPU replacement caused it to "explode", loud pop with a bright flash. I learned my lesson. I dont want an exploding PSU in my face. What can i do to prevent that? Please guys n gals, shed some light on my poor gamer soul! How do i solder the replacement? I successfully replaced caps before on other machinery, but the factory soldering on this PSU was nothing i've seen before. Please help me with the soldering of this cap! What are your thoughts on the "No signal" problem? What can be causing this? Here are some pictures i took:

https://ibb.co/YB0VJv5

https://ibb.co/L9N6Wj2

https://ibb.co/2jzStLx

https://ibb.co/6BmtJxg

https://ibb.co/1vGypL7

Let's start with that "expensive and advanced GPU".

That GPU is technologically 7 years old. I don't know for long you been having this card but this is now considered pretty old.

I must assume that PSU is old too and it's a Tier 4 PSU which mean it wasn't very good quality to begin with.

Please save yourself the troubles and buy a new good quality PSU.

Do you have any experience opening power supplies? You know it can be very dangerous right? Just asking.

fiRe_p0weR

Prominent
Jan 13, 2020
Thank you for replying! I have never worked on a PSU before. Altho i got SOME experiance with soldering stuff, couple of stuff successfully repaired, but im well aware of the dangers of working on PSU, that is exactly why i turned my head towards this forum :)) Sadly the option of new PSU is not available since i recently got unemployed and little short on cash. Plus as you said, the whole configuration is a bit old and for change (altho the GPU was the best thing there was AT THAT time, still playing alot of 20-50GB games on 60fps on low-med settings!)

fiRe_p0weR

Prominent
Jan 13, 2020
Update: Ive replaced the cap, connected the PSU to the mobo and put inside the PC, connected with old monitor via VGA cable and turned it on. I was really really scared at this point, yeah it may sound funny, but its electricity 😁. I saw the BIOS screen then the windows logo and loading and i turned it off cuz i got happy and scared haha. Now i dont know if i can leave it like that for some more time just to make sure it can keep handling it? Any thoughts? :p