Question PC Random black screen and freezes - monitors don't lose signal - nothing in reliability history

Jun 1, 2020
I've been having an annoying issue recently which I'm hoping to get some help with! I have an issue which happens seemingly randomly in games (often when loading into games) where my PC screens go completely black, and my PC freezes and I have to turn off the power switch in order to get out of this crash. The monitors do not lose signal - they just display a black screen. All sound cuts out. When I check reliability history, nothing shows up other than "windows did not shut down properly", and the issue happens so infrequently and randomly that I can't get it to happen reliably so I can check to see if any fixes have worked.

My suspicion is it's a gpu issue. I've updated windows and my GPU driver but this seems to have had no effect sadly. I upgraded to a 5600xt a couple of weeks ago. I never had anything like this on my old r9 380 (but this problem seems to have only started in the last week or so)

My specs are
RX 5600XT
i7 9700k
Gigabyte Z390 UD
Corsair TX650M psu
2x Corsair Vengence LPX 16gb
1TB NVME SSD
1tb SSD
2tb HDD
120gb C Drive SSD

Any help on how to figure out what's causing the crashes or how to fix would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS