Question PC random black Screens while gaming

Mar 19, 2019
Hello,

So my PC is about 2 months old now, and while playing games the screen may go black for 2-3secs then come back on like nothing had happened. At first I thought it was RAM. And sure enough, memtest threw a bunch of errors on one of the 2x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX sticks. So, i sent the kit back to amazon for a replacement, installed the new ram, and all was working fine memtest displayed no errors. I also replaced my RX 580 for a GTX 1070 and got a new evga 650w G3 PSU to replace my evga 500w which i thought was may be failing. I also replaced the dp cable for a vesa certified club3d cable, tried HDMI cables aswell but still get black screens, and it's starting to become annoying.

I've Checked Temps and everything, CPU barely gets above 50c, gpu under load around 71c, Could it maybe be the monitor? full specs below:

Ryzen 5 2600 stock.
2x8GB DDR4 2400mhz
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
1TB 860 EVO SSD
120gb crucial bx500 SSD
Corsair 270r with 3 intake fans, 2 top 1 rear
EVGA 650W G3 Fully Modular.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the "black screens".

Likely to be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond to the "black screens".

That said, another thing that you can do is power off the computer, unplug, open the case, and check that all cables, cards, jumpers, RAM, etc. are fully and firmly seated. They can and do wiggle/creep loose over time.

Likewise, if the problem continues, use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. You may discover some bottleneck or other issue that ultimately results in the "black screens".

did you repair install windows? if not do so by running the win10 installer off microsoft and just do a fresh install keeping only your personal files.
1s done
go to the motherboard manufacturers site and download there chipset/ethernet drivers.
then go to nvidia and get there latest gtx driver.
install the games you know crashed and play to see if you fixed the issue...

repairing windows will replace the base drivers to run the gpu without a gfx driver so you can have a display to install real drivers.
if you installed windows with the amd gpu attached it would try and run its base driver when it should be running the nvidia 1 for the nvidia replacement card.

you should always do a minimum repair install when you change the gpu or motherboard as it will improve system stability on upgraded systems..

Mar 19, 2019
Ok well i re-seated everything (all the cables, including the RAM, GPU, and CPU as well) and it seems my issue has disappeared. I also nuked the old video drivers by using DDU, then doing a clean install of the nvidia driver, including my Mobo chipset drivers and LAN drivers.

it seems it was either a loose cable somewhere or bad drivers.

Thanks for your help guys!

Mar 19, 2019
It seems i'm going to have to revive this thread as it has happened again, but this time i managed to catch the error.
Here it is:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff9c8bb6cc5460
Parameter 2: fffff8028cd9eb24
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 2d68
OS version: 10_0_17763
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also noticed it only seems blackscreens happen when chrome is open, and a Youtube video is either paused or playing.