Question PC random crashes and restart loops - need help - much appreciated!

Dec 10, 2020
Hello,

Recently I have been very frustrated with the seemingly random hangs, crashes, and even (more recently) restart loops that I have been experiencing with my system (1-month-old system). I have tried to do some research but with no success, likely due to not understanding which direction to look into. For this reason, I request any and all help that might help me sort this out!

PC specs:
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 cores @ 3.6 Ghz

Processor coolers for AMD Processors:
Cooler Master TX3

Motherboard:
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi + Bluetooth

GPU:
AMD Radeon 5700 8GB

The memory:
Corsair Memory (3200Mhz)

Corsair Vengeance (3200Mhz):
16 GB Memory

PSU:
Seasonic Core Gold GC 650 Watt

Startup Disk:
500 GB Samsung 970 Evo

Hard drive storage:
1 TB Normal storage

Operating System:
Windows 10 Home English

Description:

Since the first time the system began crashing, I did a clean installation of windows. From there it operated fine for a day or so. However, it then randomly hanged yet again. I have noticed that in the motherboard the debug LEDS are RED sometimes but they are very inconsistent. They will always trigger on a crash. On some boots 2 LEDs are Red, on other boots only 1. Usually rebooting gets rid of them however, the system will seemingly work fine with any of these scenarios (that is until a crash which might take minutes, or even hours).

I have run strain tests, and CPU tests, and the system performed fine during the roughly 10 to 15 minutes that it took. However, I have noticed ever since I switched the power profile to high performance it has begun to have hangs more often. Although its weird because I can be playing a very demanding video game and the system will not crash, and then when im simply browsing Firefox it will crash.

Today I had a system crash followed by a restart locked loop that I only managed to break after a forced shutdown. Please find attached a screenshot.
I would really appreciate any technical input and guidance on how to proceed to attempt and solve this issue.

Thank you all for reading.
Kind regards,
Pedro

1364714525_eventlog.jpg.6c87d2248ad5315caea7d8173b3bc5cb.jpg

REDLEDmotherboard.jpg.1c12a6c2678e4bd34ca0b46e09f9e297.jpg
index.jpg.2029eeffad47b21c0fd4b4a408a1a672.jpg
index2.jpg.f5b943866568d3dbcd740c1486a933d1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
I would replace the TX3 , it's a much older cooler - doubt it was ever designed with AM4 in mind. The randomness points more to bad RAM so reseat or try only 1 stick at a time

So I am in the BIOS right now.

It seems I have installed both RAM sticks in the A1 and B1 ports on the board.

the DDR speed is reported at 2133 MHz while they are both 3200 MHz rated. Is this a problem?

Also I had a recent crash where the system display just lost signal and the RAM LED on the board light up. After reboot it is working fine again (for now).

image.png.7dcc2df133bff3292f09c539cc38b9ca.png

Last edited:
So I am in the BIOS right now.

It seems I have installed both RAM sticks in the A1 and B1 ports on the board.

the DDR speed is reported at 2133 MHz while they are both 3200 MHz rated. Is this a problem?

Also I had a recent crash where the system display just lost signal and the VRAM LED on the board light up. After reboot it is working fine again (for now).

image.png.7dcc2df133bff3292f09c539cc38b9ca.png

Hi Unperceived.

You have to use A2-B2 with 2 sticks. After that try using the XMP/DOCP profile to 3200MHz.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jdkj33c

Dec 10, 2020
Hi Unperceived.

You have to use A2-B2 with 2 sticks. After that try using the XMP/DOCP profile to 3200MHz.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jdkj33c

Sorry!!! I for some reason wrote down A1 and B1, I have in fact the sticks in the correct slots A2 and B2.

I have tried XMP in auto, rebooted into Bios but with no change to the DDR speed. Should I manually set it to 3200 MHz in the XMP settings for the profile?

OC explorer mode - Normal

D-RAM Settings

A-XMP - Profile 1
DRAM Frequency - 3200 MHz
FCLK and UCLK - Auto
Memory failure Retry - Enabled with 2 counts
Fast Boot - Enabled
Didn't mess with advanced settings

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
Yes, try that. Use the XMP profile and choose 3200MHz instead of auto. Try 2933MHz too.

That seems to have fixed the speeds! Thanks,

What's weird about it is that yesterday I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 a quite demanding game on the system for hours without a problem. Come this morning and I have a crash in the desktop with no apps open other than the start-up ones. The crash lit the VGA LED on the EZ debug LEDS section of the board.

What could have caused this?

Since the recent chains of bad crashes, I did update the BIOS to the latest version and all I have changed now is correcting the RAM speeds (crash happened before this change).

Edit: Question - Is it normal for the CPU frequency to oscillate every 5-10 seconds from 3200 to 4200 MHz while idle? (just with the monitor app open) The gpu usage is 1% and then spikes to 40-50% as well.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
The following plot is of the CPU at idle (no apps running). The region indicated by the blue circle shows when I open firefox and browse something.

cputest.png.09f9ad2a0947b4297f537fb5be86217c.png

Is this normal operation? Any insight would be fine. My CPU is rated at 3.6 GHz

Dec 10, 2020
running idle a single core can boost significantly to get a task done. it could be a background update of Windows or antivirus so yes it's normal. 1 or 2 cores can definitely run above the base clock. glad the RAM issue is solved

The system seems more stable however I'm still having a few crashes every now and then (for example now). They seem to all be identical and as follows:

1. System will be working fine for hours.

2. After a restart, shutdown or sleep-wake the system will crash after a few seconds.

3. The display will lose signal, and the VGA EZ DEBUG LED will light up. The keyboard and mouse still have power, the board and card leds are on, it just seems to hang.

81-F9267-F-B48-F-4-BEF-909-B-AE3778696-B14.jpg

Above is the LED in question. (not my picture couldn't get a clear picture with good contrast without moving the unit, using a similar thread I found for clarity)