PC random freezes gradually mouse still moves

Jul 19, 2018
So i've been dealing with a lot of random freezes on my pc lately. It started when i got back from a vacation last week and have been happening since. Sometimes I can run the pc without any lockups for a whole day but sometimes it fails twice within 30 minutes.

However, when it freezes I've realized it happens gradually. With that I mean when the freeze occurs the mouse is still movable and when I hover over something it shows but after a short amount of time the "hover-over" info freezes as well. And after 5 seconds everything is frozen including the "ctrl+alt+delete" option. The final solution is to do a hard-reboot by pressing the physical button.

I've run memtest86 and chkdsk without any failures and I have no idea what could be the problem. The desktop is almost 2 years old and has been running flawlessly until now

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k 3.50 GHz

Memory: 2x8 GB

GPU: Nvidia Gefore gtx 1060 6gb

Disk: NVMe Samsung SSD

Motherboard: MSi MS-7995

PSU: Corsair cx550m 550W

Any form of help is much appreciated!

Solution
If it works perfectly in Safe Mode, then it's likely a software problem (because windows is in its raw form)
If it still happens in Safe Mode, more than likely hardware, but still doesn't mean windows is 100% working right.
Jul 19, 2018

Yes, I have one SSD in it.

I'll try Safe Mode the problem is I have to spend some time in it to be sure nothing happens. But if nothing happens in Safe Mode what to do? Do you think the problem is in the drive or is it something else?

Jul 19, 2018

Sorry, I forgot to put it in, but I got a "corsair cx550m 550W". So you think it's PSU or motherboard bios related?

Jul 19, 2018

I've had "Safe Mode and networking" on the whole day without any freezes. So I'm starting to think the cause is software related. Do you have any suspicions?

If you are going to use anti malware - I would recommend ZHPCleaner as I think it is a 10/10 product and I would give malware bytes 8/10

So yes, because it works with safemode maybe you need a complete reinstall of windows, you can practice this on a spare/second hard disk while disabling the first one, if that then cures it, you defintely know windows is at fault.

Anyway, that would be my next step - new windows install on a DIFFERENT hdd

Jul 19, 2018
None of my antiviruses caught one to something. I still haven't had a single freeze since I disabled all auto-startup programs and my best guess is that it was "razer synapse" that was causing it. Thank you all for helping!