[SOLVED] PC random reboot during playing any game

Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys, as the title says I'm having a lot of problems as of lately with random PC shut downs, only during playing any game. It started probably a month ago and it happens around 8x a day in any given time, sometimes during loading other times i can play for hours.

My setup is: ASUS ROG strix z370-h, Intel core i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, EVGA 850 G3 and bunch of storage drives.
Games that I've tried and caused PC reboot: AC Odyssey, Rocket League, League of Legends, The Sims 4, Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves.

So far I've tried:

• - installing WhoCrashed to see if it's a driver problem
    - updating all the drivers and BIOS
    - reinstalling windows
    - switching power socket (just to test if it's not the plug or extension cord problem)
    - cleaning inside of the case (get rid of the dust)
    - reseating all the cables just in case
Unfortunately none of it helped and I've run out of ideas what might be wrong, I even put my setup under 8h of heavy load and it worked all the time without any reboot and temperatures were all stable and normal. I also work with UE4 for the most part of the day and it never rebooted during usage.
Most of the topic related posts were about drivers and faulty or old PSUs but I don't believe that's my case but I don't rule out the faulty PSU. I just don't have spare to test this theory and I would like to be sure it's a faulty PSU before purchasing another.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew.

Solution
The reason for the "drives question" was to get a sense of the load being imposed on the PSU.

Would expect 850 watts (established under ideal conditions) to be sufficient but if the PSU is underperforming then all the components - drives include may just be too much.

Something gives and the GPU suffers.

Try disconnecting the larger drive to start with. Determine if gaming stabilizes with fewer random reboots.

Do not forget Task Manager and Resource Monitor. They may now prove helpful.

Jul 31, 2018

No, at that time graphics driver was out of date as was windows and most of the drivers. I don't really update them so often, mostly once every 3 or 4 months. And unfortunately I can't test any other card i would need to purchase one to do so.

Jul 31, 2018

Event manager got me nowhere, it's records only displays error 41 Kernel-power and that it has unexpectedly shutdown.
PSU is EVGA 850 G3 purchased in april/may 2018, it's 850W and it's completely rid of dust, haven't smell any burn and all the cables were reconnected.
Also sorry I didn't thought that listing of drives was important, so I have 2x M.2 Samsung 950 PRO, 2x WD Blue 3 TB 3.5" in RAID 0 and WD Blue 6 TB also 3.5"

But Reliability History recorded some hardware error thanks for the tip it recorded this:
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: ffff85020d7925c0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_17763
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Ok as google pointed me it seems there is a problem with my graphics card although I don't really understand how this can cause a reboot of my PC I will try to download old driver update and test it. I hope this was the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
The reason for the "drives question" was to get a sense of the load being imposed on the PSU.

Would expect 850 watts (established under ideal conditions) to be sufficient but if the PSU is underperforming then all the components - drives include may just be too much.

Something gives and the GPU suffers.

Try disconnecting the larger drive to start with. Determine if gaming stabilizes with fewer random reboots.

Do not forget Task Manager and Resource Monitor. They may now prove helpful.

Solution
Jul 31, 2018

Good idea will try right away unfortunately the reboots are damn random so i will test it for a day or two and then come back hopefully just to thank you and mark as solved. Task manager runs constantly on my secondary monitor since those crashes started to happen so far business as usual. However since my post here I'm running world of tanks in background (this game caused me most of the crashes) with an October's graphics driver and I'm surprised that it hasn't crashed so far.

UPDATE: So I've removed the 6 TB drive and PC ran quite well for a while but now it rebooted again with an old graphics driver so that's a dead end. Also removing the drive didn't helped it either. Event viewer again reports kernel power error 41 but this time reliability monitor hasn't registered anything.

Jul 31, 2018
Looks like it was faulty PSU after all. I've got refund for my psu and went ahead with EVGA 1000W (same price so why not) and so far no reboots after 2 days. Still not sure why the reboots happend only during playing but never mind. Thank you guys for helping me.

TRENDING THREADS