Question PC Random Reboots

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 3, 2019
Hello for the past month I have been having random reboots while on my pc. Sometimes it's a few hours before it shuts down and other times is every 5 min. I have a Thermaltake 600w smart series psu that I thought was the issue so I RMA'd it. They sent me a refurbed one and my pc ran fine all day until tonight when I started gaming the reboots came back. This is frustrating the heck out of me...

I have checked the motherboard and do not see any capacitors fried. This computer is only a year old.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x
GPU: ASUS 1070ti
Mobo: Gigabyte (Not sure of model will get tomorrow)
PSU: Thermaltake 600w 80plus white

It ran fine for a year but am thinking maybe that Thermaltakes psus are crap and can't handle the power draw? I ordered a EVGA 650W G3 that comes in tomorrow to see if that solves anything. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also isn't there a way to make sure the hdd and ssd are all working correctly? Maybe an over heat issue with the storage drive? It's so random though. Sometimes it's 5 min sometimes 6 hours. Maybe the switch for the restart button is shorting out when a bit of heat gets near it? Wish there was a way to diagnose without trying 15 million things. Appreciate you responding though!
Overheating storage drives can cause issues, but usually you'd encounter a BSOD or similar.
You can sue HD Sentinel to verify storage drives. Much less common for storage drives to cause restarts (without BSOD), Which is why it would be towards the end of the list.

Jul 3, 2019
Overheating storage drives can cause issues, but usually you'd encounter a BSOD or similar.
You can sue HD Sentinel to verify storage drives. Much less common for storage drives to cause restarts (without BSOD), Which is why it would be towards the end of the list.
Alright that is what I was thinking is id see BSOD. Wouldnt it just shutdown and not restart? So far so good with power and reset switches unplugged. Fingers crossed that is my issues but not calling this solved until a few days. If not this might just rma my motherboard after trying an update to the bios.

Jul 3, 2019
So played a bit last night with power switches unplugged and it happened again. I will try bios update tonight and maybe do an RMA on the board. Not sure what else to do. Could it be my case causing this? or is that just not a possible solution?

Jul 3, 2019
So this is an odd test I did. I moved my pc from my office to my kitchen on a different breaker circuit. And I ran csgo for 6 hours yesterday with no random restarts. It is possible the outlet or the breaker is unstable and unable to keep a constant voltage to the pc so that it shutsdown. Ive only tested one day but thought id update.

Reactions: PC Tailor
I'd say it's a very good test. I'd also say if you can do that 6 hours for 5 days without any reboots, you have your answer.

I think it's certainly possible that the power through the original breaker isn't 'clean', which I'm presuming could cause disruptive ripple in the supply to the more electrically sensitive components.

@jonnyguru

You know your stuff Jonny, does my theory above have legs?

Jul 3, 2019
I'd say it's a very good test. I'd also say if you can do that 6 hours for 5 days without any reboots, you have your answer.

I think it's certainly possible that the power through the original breaker isn't 'clean', which I'm presuming could cause disruptive ripple in the supply to the more electrically sensitive components.

@jonnyguru

You know your stuff Jonny, does my theory above have legs?
Im thinking a failing outlet. Might replace today and see what happens. I have had this pc on the same outlet for a year and a half and was not doing this before. The outlet is original to the house in 2001 so maybe failed

Jul 3, 2019
Not with the new PSU, no. If it was something like a brown out causing a major voltage drop, the Thermaltake wouldn't have handled it, but the EVGA should.
Also noticed on this plug I have an external hd and a sec cam running that sometimes has issues. I will boot a game on the external drive to my xbox and it will freeze. The xbox is connected to a different outlet thought 5 feet away. the security cam sometimes goes offline for a period of time too.

Im thinking a failing outlet. Might replace today and see what happens. I have had this pc on the same outlet for a year and a half and was not doing this before. The outlet is original to the house in 2001 so maybe failed

That's definitely possible. Either way, you're going about your troubleshooting in a good way. I'd do the 5 day test, if there's no reboots then, I'd say that's pretty conclusive.

@jonnyguru

Cheers for the answer! I've always followed your advice over the years when it comes to power supplies and as a consequence, have had many, many stable systems.

Reactions: stiveralex
Jul 3, 2019
That's definitely possible. Either way, you're going about your troubleshooting in a good way. I'd do the 5 day test, if there's no reboots then, I'd say that's pretty conclusive.

@jonnyguru

Cheers for the answer! I've always followed your advice over the years when it comes to power supplies and as a consequence, have had many, many stable systems.
Unfortunately my issues returned. Not sure what else to do here.... I have tried mostly everything. I just do not get why it ran so long last night and within the first 45 minutes today it randomly restarted.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Sounds like a PSU issue. What PSU do you have now? How do you know it is a quality PSU?
Overheating the 1700X can cause a reboot but only when it reaches 85+ celsius.
Did you run a memtest on each RAM stick separately?
How hot is the VRM on the motherboard? They should be rated for 105 C max. For a couple thousand hours.
I doubt it is the GPU, usually it crashes gracefully and shows some error message in Windows.

RAM error is usually 'Page fault in non-paged area'
IRQ not less or equal is common too IIRC.

Jul 3, 2019
Agreed. It's usually always PSU, GPU, or RAM. With and without BSOD.

I'd taken OP through RAM tests earlier in the thread, all RAM were swapped and tried one at a time in different slots reboots persisted in all configs.
Bought some new RAM today and the problem is still occurring. Also am seeing it happen more frequently now every 20 minutes or so. Gigabyte accepted my RMA for my motherboard if I want to go down that route. I really do not know what else to do. This is stressing me out to the maxxxxxx...... Also tried different RAM slots as my MOBO is a dual channel. No luck. So basically ruling out the RAM and the PSU.