PC RANDOM RESTART pls help

Calem

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello! (be in mind when replying im not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers)
I have had this random restart problem for over a year now however it goes away then comes back. At first i thought its my GPU for as the driver updates. but i have the current driver and it still persists on restarting. this happens during watching youtube and or playing games (eg.CS). here are my specs.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03790101
(however i have changed the GPU to a GTX 750TI and the PSU is a 500 watt.
and im running windows 10 64bit)
i have recently fully restored my pc however that hasn't helped either (deleting all the drivers)

if it is however any of my hardware, please feel free to suggest any to me! :)

thank you very much to anyone that assists to help me with this issue! thanks!

-Calem

Solution
Lol, didn't expect to just test ram again. I didn't suspect hdd was reason either.

I wonder if its heat, you say it comes and goes, i wonder if its based on the ambient temperature. The hotter it gets, the more likely PC will crash. Takes me back to power again, some power supplies work better in cold temperatures and warmer it gets, the more likely they will hit trip a power safety and turn itself off.

it could be graphics card as well, but you haven't mentioned any weird colours or anything on screen, just PC restarting itself.

There are only so many parts it can be and we are running out.

I think you need to get PC looked at by someone with spares who can work out true cause. All they need to do is run benchmarks to figure out...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what brand name is the power supply?

do you get any errors when it restarts or it just happens without any messages from windows?

have you cleaned inside PC? removed dust from fans and the heat sinks as if its too dusty the PC can overheat and restart. Especially in games

Calem

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hi Colif!

My Power Supply is a cooler master b500 ver.2

and my pc doesnt give me any signs that its going to shut down. the screen goes black and the HP logo comes up as its starting up.

and im attempting to clean it as we speak.

Calem

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
okay, so could/is that the problem?. i was more revolved around it been the motherboard or something, considering i just bought that from a computer store not to long ago.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't say one way or other as I don't have enough info on PSU, many of the review sites aren't in a language I understand.

run this on ram and see how it goes. need to do 1 stick at a time if you have more than one: http://www.memtest86.com/

restarting randomly isn't a windows trick, it would show errors. I don't think its the hard drive, it wouldn't cause this behaviour

Power and motherboard are the hardest things to test, so you normally check everything else first

Calem

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
im very sorry im not sure i understand, when i boot the application do i select the d:\ drive? because thats the only one showed, also do i either write an image, create an image, zero or reformat? like i said im not very knowledgeable when it comes to PC's.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that means ram is fine. one thing off list.. (Note, I spent 20 minutes trying to work out why you couldnt see all ram just to realise i confused you with someone else who couldn't see all ram... lol)

Try going here, choose win 8.1 (since that last os this has drivers for) and download HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI from under Diagnostic, and see if it helps. http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-500-000-desktop-pc-series/5358992/model/5373561#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930C7

annoying the page has the HP Support assistant videos but I cannot see it listed in your downloads - that program would be handy as it auto updates drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Lol, didn't expect to just test ram again. I didn't suspect hdd was reason either.

I wonder if its heat, you say it comes and goes, i wonder if its based on the ambient temperature. The hotter it gets, the more likely PC will crash. Takes me back to power again, some power supplies work better in cold temperatures and warmer it gets, the more likely they will hit trip a power safety and turn itself off.

it could be graphics card as well, but you haven't mentioned any weird colours or anything on screen, just PC restarting itself.

There are only so many parts it can be and we are running out.

I think you need to get PC looked at by someone with spares who can work out true cause. All they need to do is run benchmarks to figure out the cause since it happens if PC is working hard.

Solution

Calem

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Okay thanks for your help. i'll try and hand it into a store for them to have a look at. ill report back what they say regarding the random restarting. again thanks for your help :)