[SOLVED] PC randomly shutting down when idle (new components except PSU and 2 storage drives) ?

Reydelta

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2015
Around a month ago, I built a new PC, with new components after having my old PC completely shutdown. I had all new components except for an old SSD, and old HDD, and the PSU. It went without issues until just today. I had just bought a new keyboard, and plugged it in. Because my PC is located under the table, I had to pull the PC out from underneath when I was trying to plug the keyboard USB in. While I was pulling the PC, I accidentally pulled off the power cord from the PSU. Also, I accidentally touched the PSU before the power cord pulled off, and I felt a slight tingling sensation. Note that when I touched the case, there is not the same jolt sensation, like when there is not enough good grounding.

When I turned on the PC and do light tasks or even just idling for 3-6 minutes, the PC would just suddenly turn off with no warning. No blue screen or anything. There was even time where it would turn on, and off again suddenly before even going into POST. I had an experience of RAM failure, and it had blue screen, so I didn't think this is the issue. Did scan for virus with Windows defender, and no virus. Boot into the BIOS, but the sudden shutdown is still there, so it isn't an OS problem. For now, I have plugged the power off, and I am waiting for next week as the computer store is closed on Sunday.

I suspected my PSU is the problem. While I was using my old PC, we lived in a house with one of the worst electrical problems. I changed like 4 monitors in less than a year, and it blew up one of my laptop's charging cable. My old PC had a problem of really hard booting up, just on and off, while the PC case would often shock me when I touched it. Didn't use that PC for a long time, and when I moved to another house (with no electrical issues) , and turned on the old PC, it wouldn't even boot. So that's why I had the new PC. Now adding the accident of pulling off the cable from PSU, maybe it made it worse.

When I asked the computer store, I asked them what can be salvaged from the old PC, and when they tested out the PSU, it was still usable, so I used it to cut cost. Now that I think of it, it was a stupid decision, and should have just buy a new PSU, but I still want to make sure for the last time. Do you think this is a PSU problem? It's a Seasonic fully modular PSU, rated for 750 watts, and gold plus from what I can remember. The PSU would be around 8 years old, as I bought the old PC in 2014. From what I remember, the warranty was 7 years.

And I do wonder, PSU problems can actually destroy other compenents, right? How often does that happen? I read somewhere in the forum or internet (I forgot exactly where), that nowadays, it is not often a PSU problem will destroy other components. Especially worried since this is a completely new PC even though it is still in warranty.

Solution
If you are feeling tingling sensations, you need to start from the , no pun intended, ground up. Always buy a new psu for a new build if you have experienced any problems with the old one, or in your case it is 8 years old. The psu is the heart of the pc and starting with an old worn-out heart is not the way to go. Also revisit your motherboard to make sure the standoffs are all in place and that the board is not touching any metal or part of the case. If you do buy a new psu make sure to use the new psu wiring that comes with it.
If you are feeling tingling sensations, you need to start from the , no pun intended, ground up. Always buy a new psu for a new build if you have experienced any problems with the old one, or in your case it is 8 years old. The psu is the heart of the pc and starting with an old worn-out heart is not the way to go. Also revisit your motherboard to make sure the standoffs are all in place and that the board is not touching any metal or part of the case. If you do buy a new psu make sure to use the new psu wiring that comes with it.

Reactions: Reydelta and KyaraM
Solution

KyaraM

Admirable
I would also switch out the PSU and hope it didn't take anything with it. Iirc, how likely that is depends on how many and which protection features it has, and a good spoonful of luck. But I wouldn't use an 8 year old PSU in a new build no matter how long the warranty or how good it still seems to be. Not worth the risk.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch

Reydelta

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2015

Thanks for the tip. But yeah, I will switch out for a new PSU on the weekend for sure.