Question Pc random shut down

Sep 5, 2021
So I was just loading up a game one night and then all of a sudden my PC just completely shut down on me. No BSOD or freezing, it was as if the plug had been pulled out.

I could reboot just fine, turned off my Gpu OC and I could continue playing the rest of the night. However I'm concerned this could be the sign of a deeper problem that's just beginning to surface.
What would be the possible reasons for this?

PS. My computer ran fine for weeks at these clock speeds on my CPU and GPU
Specs:
GPU 6600xt @ 2800Mhz and 2050 Mhz memory
CPU i7 4790k @4.6 Ghz
PSU 850W
RAM 16GB Ddr3 1600Mhz
STORAGE 1TB WD blue HDD & 120GB SSD boot drive

Sep 5, 2021
It's usually the power supply that behaves this way when it's defective. It could also be the processor but usually it would lock up pretty quickly if it was. I have my fair share of dead Hassell processors....
I hope its not the PSU as i only just got it about 3 months ago, im definitely looking to a new CPU in the near future anyways though. what would other signs of a failing CPU be? it is getting a bit old...

I hope its not the PSU as i only just got it about 3 months ago, im definitely looking to a new CPU in the near future anyways though. what would other signs of a failing CPU be? it is getting a bit old...

At least with that Gen, I has issues where usb ports would stop working and maybe I month after the cpu could only stay 30 seconds at a time. It was in 4770 and Intel xeon 1220 v3.

Reactions: MugsE

maxtechniche

Reputable
May 10, 2018
www.youtube.com
So I was just loading up a game one night and then all of a sudden my PC just completely shut down on me. No BSOD or freezing, it was as if the plug had been pulled out.

I could reboot just fine, turned off my Gpu OC and I could continue playing the rest of the night. However I'm concerned this could be the sign of a deeper problem that's just beginning to surface.
What would be the possible reasons for this?

PS. My computer ran fine for weeks at these clock speeds on my CPU and GPU
Specs:
GPU 6600xt @ 2800Mhz and 2050 Mhz memory
CPU i7 4790k @4.6 Ghz
PSU 850W
RAM 16GB Ddr3 1600Mhz
STORAGE 1TB WD blue HDD & 120GB SSD boot drive
Maybe windows event viewer has some info?

Sep 5, 2021
Maybe windows event viewer has some info?
Thanks for the idea. I just checked and saw 2 critical level events mentioning a HID-compliant headset (Source: Driverframeworks-usermode) roughly at the time of the shutdown. i guess something to do with the USB amp/dac/soundcard (whatever its called), i only plugged in a few hours prior for my gaming headset. Unsure about how a sound driver could cause a total system shutdown though?