[SOLVED] PC randomly closes games (no error message) and BSoD when watching Youtube

Towern

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Hi there! So this is going to be a long one...
A few months back I built a new PC mainly for music production but also with a bit of gaming in mind. I personally go for performance and stability not minding downgrading the graphical side a bit, plus I don't play very graphics intensive games. Here's the specs:

-ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3,60GHz (Stock Cooler)
-NVIDIA GTX 950 Strix ---» From my previous build, from 2016
-Kingston HyperX 8Gb 3200Mhz (x2 4 Gb modules)
-Samsung SSD 860 1 TB
-PSU 650W Cooler Master ---» From my previous build, from 2012

The first time I turned it on I was a bit desorganized with how I was updating the drivers, wasn't rebooting in order and was installing multiple things at the same time so when the first and second BSoD happened when watching Youtube at a random point, I re-installed Windows 10 to clear everything and do it properly.
Back then the only thing I was tweaking in the BIOS was the Memory speed from 2400Mhz to 3000Mhz, I don't recall exactly what happened when changing to 3200Mhz but the system wasn't stable, I'm not sure if it was Youtube that crashed but after trying to run it at 'Auto' 2400 Mhz or in between speeds and not improving, I left it at 3000 Mhz to this day (which I think is the best purely based on 'feeling' so yeah...). Here's some pics of my BIOS settings, I didn't mess with anything else: View: https://imgur.com/a/eeJejOq

The BSoD only happens when watching Youtube (I can't recall if it ever happened when watching series in VLC, if it did probably a single time) I'll add that the crashes are REALLY random, there may be days/weeks where everything is just fine but then... boom. Here's yesterday's crash Minidump log:

"
On Sat 06/07/2019 22:53:08 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070619-13812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32kbase.sys (0xFFFFEA061A45CEBD)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFEA061A45CEBD, 0xFFFFEB87412F3FE0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32kbase.sys
product: Sistema Operativo Microsoft® Windows®
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Controlador de Kernel Base Win32
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
"

At first glance it appears to be a driver's issue but since I re-installed Windows a second time back then and updated everything again so I'm not quite sure what to thing.

Then, also yesterday, I finally found some time to play games (throught Steam), the last one I had played was Rocket League and never had a problem. I played 2 matches in CoD MW2, third match the game just stopped for a second and exit it itself, no error message, just like I had killed it in Task Manager... I boot it up again and there it went again in the first match.
Tried Rising Storm 2 Vietnam which can be pretty demanding. Played for about 10 min. and also took the exit.
Now I'm starting to think that it's not just Youtube... Browsing the web, music production (which I tested with some heavy projects), listening to music, everything looks absolutely fine.

Today I fired up MW2 again while 'monotoring' in my second monitor. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff, never needed to monitor anything... but I was running Task Manager and CPUID HWMonitor. Played for +30min. without crashes. I know it's not a very intense game but it did crashed the day before so yeah, the CPU temps averaged at 54ºC (Max 64ºC) and about the same for the GPU.
So then I started a Civilization 5 game which happens to be a bit more demanding, after about +2h it just exitted itself (lost a pretty cool f-ing game to ...) and managed to take a screencap like 3 seconds after, here is the info: View: https://imgur.com/a/Mgm5om1

At first I thought it was my RAM because that was what I was tweaking at first. Then, because I read about compatiblity issues with Ryzen CPU with all different sorts of things I thought it was a combination of both... The temps seem fine, although not great I know and will invest in a propper cooler in the future, but now I'm turning against my GPU. I don't know what to think about that graph in the moment of the crash... Maybe my PSU is just too old now and a connector isn't stable?
But again, when it comes to music production, even with demanding plugins the PC handles it pretty well, never crashes. Am I being to naive to think it's a GPU problem because it only happens when it's needed? Compatibility issues between Nvidia and AMD CPU's? Also heard disabiling SMT in BIOS could help (in the youtube front).

Anyways thanks for reading! Thoughts?

P.S.: This is really embarasing but my GPU is humm... curved. I bought it of Amazon.uk (I live in a different country) and didn't want the hassle of sending it back, plus it worked (until now I guess) but the board is definitely not straight, that's why I wouldn't be opposed to get a new one. Just saying in my previous Intel system (i5) never had these problems.

Solution
I have completed the debugging of the DMP file and you can view the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/LLn9.html

Summary of Findings:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, ffffea061a45cebd, ffffeb87412f3fe0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( PAGE_NOT_ZERO )

*** Memory manager detected 2 instance(s) of page corruption, target is likely to have memory corruption.

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module
IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.

Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: ffffea061a45cebd, Address of the instruction which caused the...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
At first glance it appears to be a driver's issue but since I re-installed Windows a second time back then and updated everything again so I'm not quite sure what to thing.
Did you do this debug through WhoCrashed per chance? If so, any third party software are not accurate at identifying the cause. If you can post a link to the dump file here, then we can help debug it for you.

Third party software tends to blame a Windows driver (which is what crashed) but actually it was because the Windows driver was forced to crash usually by a third party driver (or hardware failure).

Have you removed all overclock entirely and restored BIOS back to complete defaults to see if the issue persists?
Remember CPU individual core temps are important, not just the overall package.
Also what is the exact model cooler master you have?

Am I being to naive to think it's a GPU problem because it only happens when it's needed? Compatibility issues between Nvidia and AMD CPU's?
Not at all, it could well be, it's just a case of elimination. But we should always look at software first.

Towern

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Did you do this debug through WhoCrashed per chance? If so, any third party software are not accurate at identifying the cause. If you can post a link to the dump file here, then we can help debug it for you.

Yes I did, I didn't know how to do it any other way, thank you! There you go: https://we.tl/t-Ghm7yyCL09

Have you removed all overclock entirely and restored BIOS back to complete defaults to see if the issue persists?
Remember CPU individual core temps are important, not just the overall package.
Also what is the exact model cooler master you have?

I didn't overcloked anything just changed the memory frequency, not even tweaked the voltages (I did try running standard 2400Mhz).
The first fresh instalI I did I had not updated the BIOS and the BSoD happened, I actually thought it may had been because of it since at the time some B450 boards with an older version (like mine) reported having issues with the newer Ryzen models and it was advised to update the BIOS. So after another fresh install of Windows I flashed the BIOS and updated every driver I could think of. Troubleshooting is really not my strength but if you think it'll help to do it now I'll sure give it a try!

Here's the model: Cooler Master RS650-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 650W 80 Plus

Thanks for the quick reply!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I did try running standard 2400Mhz
I haven't looked up the QVL or standard for your RAM, but often the standard is 2133 (as per JEDEC).

Here's the model: Cooler Master RS650-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 650W 80 Plus
Not a great quality PSU admittedly.

I'm currently looking through the dump file to see if anything else can be pulled through - it may end up in the same result, but usually we can find more information through proper debugging.

Towern

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
I haven't looked up the QVL or standard for your RAM, but often the standard is 2133 (as per JEDEC).

Sorry, when I said Standard I meant the 'Auto' value it gave me at first. I checked QVL when chosing RAM for the build and I was a bit worried because the 16Gb version of the HyperX Predator is registered but not the 8Gb version (mine) both at 3200MHz. When the issue first appeared I thought it was maybe because of it but found it wierd if it's actually that. But again with Ryzens I don't know, maybe it works better with 16Gb??

Not a great quality PSU admittedly.

I'm currently looking through the dump file to see if anything else can be pulled through - it may end up in the same result, but usually we can find more information through proper debugging.

Yeah, maybe there's a power issue of some sorts as the crashes are pretty random but then again, everything worked fine before, but if that was it it would be great...

Thanks for the attention!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have completed the debugging of the DMP file and you can view the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/LLn9.html

Summary of Findings:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, ffffea061a45cebd, ffffeb87412f3fe0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( PAGE_NOT_ZERO )

*** Memory manager detected 2 instance(s) of page corruption, target is likely to have memory corruption.

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module
IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.

Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: ffffea061a45cebd, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: ffffeb87412f3fe0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

A memory access violation occurred. (Parameter 4 of the bug check is the address that the driver attempted to access.)

Some things to consider:
  • You are running 3000MHz (which I know you stated before) - it may be worth resetting CMOS and verifying if the issue persists.
  • There is a new BIOS update available for your board by the looks of it: V2406 BIOS B450-F Gaming
  • As with any memory violation - if there is no obvious third party driver, it is best practice to run memtest86 and verifying the integrity of your RAM modules.
  • Various Antiviruses can cause similar issues - just to consider. How long have you had the antivirus?
  • If I am not mistaken, it looks like your NVIDIA GPU drivers are out of date? Have these been updated?

Solution

Towern

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
  • You are running 3000MHz (which I know you stated before) - it may be worth resetting CMOS and verifying if the issue persists.
  • There is a new BIOS update available for your board by the looks of it: V2406 BIOS B450-F Gaming
  • As with any memory violation - if there is no obvious third party driver, it is best practice to run memtest86 and verifying the integrity of your RAM modules.
  • Various Antiviruses can cause similar issues - just to consider. How long have you had the antivirus?
  • If I am not mistaken, it looks like your NVIDIA GPU drivers are out of date? Have these been updated?

Wow thanks a bunch!
Yes I knew about the new BIOS version but though it wouldn't really change anything since the previous 2 versions kept with the issue, I'll be sure to update the GPU driver as well!
I've had this antivirus since the beginning of this build, didn't had issues previously but yeah, it may be causing something in this system.

I'll run memtest86 and let you know the results, but if the memory is really corrupt does it invalidate the other options above? I guess we won't know until I swap them but can it be the most likely cause for both the BSoD and Exiting games randomly? Shouldn't it BSoD when games crash as well?

Sorry for the multiple questions! But thanks alot seriously!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wow thanks a bunch!
Yes I knew about the new BIOS version but though it wouldn't really change anything since the previous 2 versions kept with the issue, I'll be sure to update the GPU driver as well!
I've had this antivirus since the beginning of this build, didn't had issues previously but yeah, it may be causing something in this system.

I'll run memtest86 and let you know the results, but if the memory is really corrupt does it invalidate the other options above? I guess we won't know until I swap them but can it be the most likely cause for both the BSoD and Exiting games randomly? Shouldn't it BSoD when games crash as well?

Sorry for the multiple questions! But thanks alot seriously!
No problem at all my friend - glad I can help, I never mind questions.

A BSOD will only occur when it needs to, it's not a "everytime" situation. Effectively a BSOD will occur when something in the system occurs that could violate or damage the core OS, so it effectively freezes the system and goes to a BSOD to prevent damage. A crash is when this doesn't occur, it simply just freezes or exits an application. So a third party driver could cause a game to crash if it misbehaves, but then if it really misbehaves and then tries to access memory where it shouldn't for example , then it can cause a BSOD.

I would try the other options first, then try the memtest - the system service is usually driver related, as it is effectively a driver that is accessing memory when it shouldn't or in a location where it shouldn't. So I would actually say this is more likely software, but there are no guarantees.

Basically, if it is driver related, it will be from one of the modules that you will see in the report. I've just pointed to a couple that may cause the problem from experience.

but if the memory is really corrupt does it invalidate the other options above?
Regardless, if memtest returns an error, it is a sign that the RAM should be replaced regardless as to whether it was the direct cause of your problem.

As I said, go through software first - if we have to, we may have to run Driver Verifier to try and push to surface the driver causing the fault.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

@Colif can also advise and help on these issues!

Towern

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Ok so I ran memtest86 and it came out clean. So like you said, is most likely a software issue.
Just to make sure I left all BIOS settings 'as is' after the BIOS update, so now I'm running at 2400Mhz (although maybe RAM is no longer the problem).
I guess I'll run a game again and see if it still crashes after all the updates? (with youtube, again, it's not consistent enough although I could just leave it running for whatever amount of time and see if it still goes BSoD)
Even though, with all you said I'm starting to think it's the Antivirus which was there since the beggining all along! Do you think I should just push for Driver Verifier? Never really done it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok so I ran memtest86 and it came out clean. So like you said, is most likely a software issue.
Just to make sure I left all BIOS settings 'as is' after the BIOS update, so now I'm running at 2400Mhz (although maybe RAM is no longer the problem).
I guess I'll run a game again and see if it still crashes after all the updates? (with youtube, again, it's not consistent enough although I could just leave it running for whatever amount of time and see if it still goes BSoD)
Even though, with all you said I'm starting to think it's the Antivirus which was there since the beggining all along! Do you think I should just push for Driver Verifier? Never really done it.
I would run Driver Verifier last - as it can sometimes cause issues, as the whole point of it is to force your computer to "break". So you'll want to be thorough with it - Colif has made a good guide here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Towern

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Ok so I didn't have that much time to test it. Played last night consistently without problems. Should a problem arise, I'll take off the antivirus and see if that works.

Regardless I think we were able to pin point more precisely what kind of issue we're dealing with so I'll mark it as solved.

Thanks again PC Tailor for all the help!

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok so I didn't have that much time to test it. Played last night consistently without problems. Should a problem arise, I'll take off the antivirus and see if that works.

Regardless I think we were able to pin point more precisely what kind of issue we're dealing with so I'll mark it as solved.

Thanks again PC Tailor for all the help!
No problem at all my friend, I'm just glad you've got it back up it would seem.
Obviously feel free to post again or follow up on the other options should the issue reappear.