[SOLVED] PC randomly crashes - tried new mobo, vga, memory and power supply

amiltonpueljr

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Hello,

I built this rig in sep19, it's a Ryzen 2600x, gigabyte B450 DS3H, 2x8GB 3200MHz, sapphire rx570 and a Crucial p1 1tB nvme.
The other parts are from my previous pc, a 10year old 550W OCZ fatality power supply, dual fan 212 CM and case.
Case is well refrigerated, front, bottom, rear fans and two on the top, all 120mm. Also with it I have another ethernet card, one SSD and one HDD and a dvd burner (never to be used).
Everything worked fine in my previous base build, no problems whatsoever (phenom 2 555, 4x2GB kingston and corsair, gigabyte UG-880GMA-UD2H and a ATI HD 7870).

Just right after strapping the new hardware it would randomly crash, sometimes with a BSOD and sometimes not, I thought it was odd but didn't pay much attention to it at the time.
I tried replacing componentes (one at a time) with a corsair RMx power supply, Asus motherboard, Kingston memory, my old HD 7870 card and it keeps with the same behavior, randomly crashing. Also tried disconnecting all non essential stuff (fans, dvd burner, monitors, etc) and nothing. Tried poking with settings in bios, on and off XMP, new windows installation, no clues. Once I was installing windows and it crashed through that as well. Tried new timings for memory, tested it and cpu for hours and no errors came up. Also tried updating bios and drivers, no good luck there. And when there's no hope, also tried a 240V wall socket and also same freezing there.

Well I actually have no idea what to do next, but try a new cpu and a new nvme. Under testing they don't show any anormal behavior, so I was hoping to avoid that.
Besides BSOD, it will also just freezes , it's weird because sound will continue to my bt headphones from spotify or whatever for a few seconds and anything that I type the pc will receive it just won't show up on screen (I can see that when coding because VS Code will do auto saves and after rebooting the pc, whatever I typed in those seconds will be in the file). Sometimes when freezing the screen will show some artifacts (attached picture, sorry for flash) that seems to point to a problem with video card, but since I tried another one and got the same results, I've got no idea whats up. I can't find patterns as to when it crashes, sometimes is just after windows login/computer turned on, sometimes hours later, sometimes after hours of gaming, sometimes the pc is just idle and I hear the beep from the motherboard speaker and know it rebooted.

picture of frozen screen:
https://ibb.co/jkCnZbK

Do you have any idea as to wtf is going on? Thanks !

Solution
Yep, old rig was running on SSD, I did a fresh install on the nvme.
On Nvme I also tried formatting it and reinstalling windows, same problems.
If you don't mind clean installing windows again:
- download windows 10 .iso

- update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, turn Launch CSM and any legacy option off, save and exit.

- boot to windows and rufus the win 10 .iso on GPT and UEFI (non csm)

- plug the flash drive to top rear usb motherboard slot, and proceed clean installing windows from booting the usb drive

- when you about to install, choose custom instead of upgrade, then delete all the partition of C: (or the whole nvme if you only use nvme for windows)...
Yep, old rig was running on SSD, I did a fresh install on the nvme.
On Nvme I also tried formatting it and reinstalling windows, same problems.

- update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, turn Launch CSM and any legacy option off, save and exit.

- plug the flash drive to top rear usb motherboard slot, and proceed clean installing windows from booting the usb drive

- when you about to install, choose custom instead of upgrade, then delete all the partition of C: (or the whole nvme if you only use nvme for windows) until you only have 1 thing: unallocated space, click on that unallocated space and click next

- don't connect to any internet during installation untill you've done the OOBE

- after you get into windows, install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose ryzen balanced and connect to internet. then proceed by installing the chipset driver.

- go check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

if you don't, try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

amiltonpueljr

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

- when you about to install, choose custom instead of upgrade, then delete all the partition of C: (or the whole nvme if you only use nvme for windows) until you only have 1 thing: unallocated space, click on that unallocated space and click next

- don't connect to any internet during installation untill you've done the OOBE

- after you get into windows, install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose ryzen balanced and connect to internet. then proceed by installing the chipset driver.

- go check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

if you don't, try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Did the second option, I'll follow up here if it goes bad or if some time passes and no new freezes.
Also for good measure I changed the pci-e cable to vga with a spare, they are both direct but in this situation I can't discard any ideas.

Out of curiosity, are these steps common for a lot of problems? How did you came up with it?
Many years ago I had a problem with local network if I'm not mistaken, and the solution was to delete some hidden repeated network adapters from device manager, made little sense at the time but solved the problem

Out of curiosity, are these steps common for a lot of problems?
Not always, sometimes it worked sometimes it does not.

How did you came up with it?
Well usually for memory is bios related most of the times, and sometimes for the chipset driver is often not installed automatically on windows or it is buggy or outdated. for uninstalling the cpu is sometimes when a user upgrade their cpu, their core and threads are stuck on the previous cpu spec, or sometimes the processor didn't perform well, so yeah the software and firmware related steps are basically trying to refresh/reinstall the drivers itself, making functionality on the firmware, cpu drivers, chipset drivers, etc. why i advise doing it all offline is that the windows update wont automatiaclly install the drivers, and make sure that you're using the latest drivers.

Reactions: amiltonpueljr