Question PC randomly crashing after playing Cyberpunk 2077

Jun 28, 2022
Last month, I built my very first PC. It has the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF (w/ Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD watercooling)
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3080 10GB OC
MoBo: MSI MAG Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4
RAM: 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz C16
OS Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2
Secondary storage: Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA
PSU: Corsair HX1000
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW

Last night I bought Cyberpunk 2077 on the Steam Summer Sale.
Tonight I ran the game for the first time, first thing after booting my PC up. Spent about 40 minutes in the character creator, as one does, but before I was able to get done with creating said character, the PC just suddenly shut off (with an audible cut-off in the audio through my earphones, too), before trying to turn on again automatically.
The lights would turn on, but only my second DP screen would power up and get a feed, which was only a black screen with a small white stripe a little left of the middle of the screen.
I forced it to reset and reboot a few times, before then unplugging it and plugging it back in. Eventually, it would actually boot Windows again.

I tried Cyberpunk 2077 a few times more, but from that point on, it would just crash sporadically 5-10 minutes in max, sometimes immediately upon loading the menu, and every time I'd go through this process of trying to get Windows to boot, first getting that black screen with white stripe on my second DP screen, and usually it working after I re-plugged it and reset a few more times.

Fine, I thought, I will refund Cyberpunk 2077 and go play something else, something that I know has run stable (or as much as it can) during the month I now have had my PC: Star Citizen. This game, even with how big of a mess it is, has worked flawlessly for hours on end since I got this PC, running at max settings. So, I go and play it. Guess what? About 40 minutes in, the exact same hard shutdown.

I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary in terms of temperatures on any of my parts (through the iCUE dashboard & MSI GPU Tweak II). I am not doing any overclocking, or at least, I didn't touch any of the sort. I also have the latest BIOS and drivers I could find, have had them since I built the PC. Nothing changed, apart from me having run Cyberpunk 2077 now.
I am now very worried this means something has gotten irreversibly damaged in my brand new PC. Does anyone have any idea how to diagnose the potential issue, what I can do, or what the actual issue might be? It's honestly stressing me out extremely, this beast wasn't cheap...

For some background, I have read this might have to do with a faulty PSU finally getting tested enough to falter, and now being stuck like that. I have noticed from day one my PSU did "chirp" considerably, so might that be related.

Jun 28, 2022
Update: I've compiled a few reports in this dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umoy6m6r1sklz5b/AABut0cn1MSvppV1cwpO1mj-a?dl=0
If there is anything else you guys may need, I'll gladly share and add them there as well.

I've also contacted the store I bought my components at in regards to the damage of the PSU packaging while the rest of the components in the same box were fine, and the chirping I have had since day one plus the issues I'm running into now. I'll keep you updated on what they say.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Temperatures of CPU and GPU during gaming would be interesting.

Load down hwinfo, start it, then play CP 2077. After crashing, post a picture of hwinfo. There you can see the max-values.

Switch off all sensors in hwinfo but CPU, GPU, VRM, DRAM voltages, clocks and temperatures.

edit: Oops, sorry, just read, that PC crashes. What I wrote above does only make sense, if just the game is crashing and not the whole PC.

Jun 28, 2022
Temperatures of CPU and GPU during gaming would be interesting.

Load down hwinfo, start it, then play CP 2077. After crashing, post a picture of hwinfo. There you can see the max-values.

Switch off all sensors in hwinfo but CPU, GPU, VRM, DRAM voltages, clocks and temperatures.

edit: Oops, sorry, just read, that PC crashes. What I wrote above does only make sense, if just the game is crashing and not the whole PC.

I no longer have Cyberpunk 2077, I immediately refunded it after the few attempts last night when I made this post, because I am worried I'd damage things further. And yeah, the whole computer reboots, so I tend to not have access to any logs...

If you unplug one of your monitors, does it crash, too? Sometimes there are problems with 2 or more monitors, if not same resolution and/or refresh-rate.

Haven't tried that yet, so far I've done it with my two monitors in, both at the same refresh rates but at different resolutions. Also, at the time of the crash, I would have Discord open while running a stream in it, and watching a friend's stream.

Jun 28, 2022
So as eluded in my previous comment, I have tried Star Citizen again tonight, while streaming it in Discord to friends, and watching a friend's stream.

I did so after first updating my BIOS and turning off XMP (it did so with the BIOS update actually, it seems). I also reinstalled/updated all drivers I could find.
What I have not tried yet is deinstalling the GPU driver completely with DDUninstaller and reinstalling it, so I'll be doing that next.

I also just ran a number of benchmarking software. All completed without issue or reboot-shutdown. These include Passmark, Furmark, Unigine Superposition, a number of in-built MSI stress tests and Unigine Heaven for about 15 minutes.

At this point I am completely lost as to what the issue is, and have contacted a number of PC repair groups in my region, as well as the seller.
The seller just gave me a template response about how to do returns, so I asked them for further help through email, but I'll call them tomorrow as well.

If I have any further updates, I'll let you know. Keep the ideas coming though, please :(

alexbirdie

Respectable
For now I do not have any other idea. Cyberpunk crashed, and now star citizen crashed, too.

There should be some dumps from the crash. But I am not fit with dumps. Hopefully somebody else can help you.

Just now, it could be everything.

I do have cyerpunk , too, and did not have any severe problems. At the beginning some few crashes, but only the game and not whole PCs.

Sorry to be not more helpful.