Question PC randomly crashing and possibly dying

Sep 3, 2020
Hey all, been struggling with a really frustrating issue the last couple months that I could use some help with. Let me know if this is the wrong forum for this.

Parts List:
CPU
| AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard | Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage | Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card]
Case | Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply | Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Problem and some details:
  • PC has been relatively good for about a year now. Previous freezing issues with Manjaro, but I don't think that's related. Very occasionally, I would get a random reboot. As of the last few weeks, I've been getting pretty much daily but random crashes to black screen. The screens will go black and the PC might reboot. However, now sometimes after going black, I can hear the fans spin up and see the motherboard lights come on as if it's rebooting again but the screens will remain black. The power and reset button don't work when this happens and my only option is to unplug the PC. After any of these incidents, there's a chance that when I boot up my PC, it will boot straight to a black screen without even getting to the BIOS screen with the power and reset buttons again not working.
  • Occurs on both Manjaro Linux and Windows 10
  • Getting Event 41 errors in Windows 10 event log
  • No meaningful error messages in journalctl on Manjaro, but I occasionally on reboot I get this MCE hardware error but I'm not sure if it's related as I've gotten this before my PC started crashing all the time.
  • Can go hours without an issue and sometimes, it will keep happening back to back in a span of a single hour within a few minutes of each reboot.
  • Can happen at any moment. Could be web browsing, watching a video, gaming, doing text editing, etc.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
  • Monitored temperatures. Temps are within expected ranges during reboots.
  • Updated to latest BIOS
  • Turned off Memory XMP profile and running RAM at 2133
  • Turned off "Core Performance Boost" in BIOS
  • Tried plugging directly into wall outlet instead of surge protector
  • Reseated GPU and RAM sticks
  • Tried "not running hardware monitoring software"
  • Checked if it was maybe PSU failing under load by running OCCT's power test. Ran CPU and GPU at 100% usage for 1 hour (Have had reboots occur in much less time than an hour while doing less) without any issue.
  • Ran memtest overnight through 4 passes without any errors.
  • Ran HCI memtest overnight to 800% without any errors
  • Unplugging almost everything from the PC
Last night, it crashed again and when trying to reboot it, even the motherboard lights wouldn't come on (however, the fans still spun). Tried to reboot it for an hour and the lights never came back so I assumed the motherboard might have died. But this morning, I decided to try again after leaving it unplugged overnight and it just booted up and works like normal again (until the next crash).

If anyone has some insight on what might be going wrong here I'd greatly appreciate it. It feels impossible to diagnose this issue and I'm probably going to bring it in to Microcenter for at least a diagnosis at this point.

TRENDING THREADS