PC Randomly Crashing / BSOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sparkythegrea

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
So ever since I bought my pc it has been having issues. I do not know when I started to get BSOD I think it started to happen a couple months after I built it. I would read the code and look it up after, which lead me to nothing, the code seemed to change every time. But some of the crashes lead to a freeze, where it would instantly freeze and make a solid noise, very loudly out of my speakers, which lead me to a driver issue. But even with this I still solved nothing, after months of research I finally gave in wiped my ssd, and reinstalled windows. The freezing with loud noises stopped, but now I get more frequent BSOD. From what I can tell there is no pattern, I can be doing nothing all the way from playing League of Legends, to CoD AW. Recently I noticed CoD was causing more BSOD so this lead me to thinking it has to be a hardware issue. I downloaded Open Hardware Monitor, most temps looked ok except for my motherboard.
Temp #2 = 122 degrees Celsius
Temp #4 = 113 degrees Celsius
Temp #5 = 112 degrees Celsius

At first glance I thought it was a mistake, that the software wasn't reading it correctly, but then I installed pulseway, which is another pc monitor. But it came up with the same readings, now I know either something is seriously messed up, or I'm stupid and that component is supposed to be that hot, or the sensor is giving false info. I have also been monitoring my GPU and nothing seems to be out of wack, on hardcore games, I run max settings no problem, it runs at its optimal 80 degrees Celsius. I have also done a windows memory test, whcih came up with nothing. I would greatly appreciate any help, I really want my PC to stop crashing and be able to run games with no problem. I will also give you my specs, I am running windows 8.1.

CPU Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz
GPU GTX 760 Super Clocked 2gb GDDR5
Kingston Hyper X Beast 8gb DDR3 24000 MHz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-LX V
Corsair Builder CS 600 W
Corsair 120 gb SSD 2.5 in SATA
WD Blue 1 Tb HDD 7200 RPM
ASUS Xonar DG Audio Card 5.1
WiFi Adapter ASUS PCE-N15

Sorry for the incomplete specs, I I will look up the parts in a little bit, and update them completely.

Edit 1: Alright the specs have been updated.

Solution
Test the RAM by MemTest86 http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm I recommend to set the RAM to 1600mhz all the time, and you can change to other speed only after you find out the problem.

You are better to go "event viewer" in computer management> " custom views" > " administrative events" to check out the error logs to see you have same error or other one.
Audio driver http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs
LAN driver too http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

But you can skip this, try use the PC to see it is still Crashing / BSOD randomly or not. If your PC still has that problem, try scan the malwares /virus by Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ because these malicious intruders may corrupt or damage dxgmms1.sys-related files, resulting for errors to occur.

sparkythegrea

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Ok it has been 2 days. No crashes of any sort pc is running great. I am not 100% convinced yet gonna give it a week, try to stress it as much as possible. If its still good im gonna bump my ram back up.

sparkythegrea

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

Ok, I don't see how a different browser will fix my computer. This is just one incident, my pc has crashed many times while chrome has been closed. I would like troubleshooting not involving my browser, because that should not be the issue, unless there is something that could be fixed with the browser, I am not going to use another browser besides chrome. There has got to be a reason my pc is crashing, I posted on this forum because I have done everything in my power to solve it on my own. A simple browser wouldn't be causing these issues.

sparkythegrea

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

Up early I turned the MHz down to 1600. Even with or without that change would I still run into crashes at idle speeds?

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
You mentioned it worked fine until a couple months went by, I would suspect the motherboard , maybe RMA that thing , its a pain but sometimes you get faulty products , it did work fine. Driver conflicts maybe , but thats rare , check device manager. Some one also mentioned a direct x related crash, reinstalling direct x should fix that , make sure you get the direct x version for what your gpu supports. I cant really think of anything else .
Would help to see the crash report from the event viewer . start menu . all programs/administrative tools/event viewer . once open , on the right select "windows logs" then select "system" look for red icon , should say system error. click that , take a screen shot of both tabs expanded, general tab . and on details tab click + next to system and screen shot that to see all data during crash .

TRENDING THREADS