[SOLVED] PC Randomly crashing into EFI shell

May 12, 2020
For about a week or so (not related to any event or installation I can recall), my computer started to periodically freeze, blue-screen (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED), and then boot into EFI shell saying that it cannot find required map name. It would then count down from 5 to 1, at which point it would stop responding to keyboard inputs and I would have the manually press the power button to boot into windows again. Snooping around the internet I have found that this is probably related to the HDD's power supply being cut off/not getting enough power in the first place.

I tried Turning off fast boot, changing boot priorities through BIOS, changing the SATA cable and the port it's connected to on the motherboard, and using the second SATA power cable my computer has but to no avail.

I was thinking about buying an SSD and moving the windows installation to it, but that seems a bit expensive and I wanna see if there are any other options I can expend before spending that much money. Thanks in advance!

Specs:
windows 10 pro (OS Build 17763.1158)
Intel Core i5 4570
MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate
Seagate st1000dx001-1cm162 SSHD
Kingston ValueRAM 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (x2)
AMD Radeon R9 270X

Last edited by a moderator: