[SOLVED] PC randomly crashing, restarting, then fails to fully boot. Doesn't even make it to BIOS after self-restart. AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, ATI Radeon RX 580.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zavelin

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Hi folks! Mind helping me with some troubleshooting sleuthing? This issue has been going on for over 6 months, and it seems to be worsening.

System:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 62 °C (7/2/21: User "Skrybe" noted concerns that this temp is high for an idling computer. Currently using stock CPU cooler. Ordered Noctua CPU cooler on 7/2/21.)

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1499MHz (16-17-17-35)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (AM4) 32 °C (7/1/21: User "artk2219" advised checking for motherboard BIOS updates. Found BIOS firmware was almost 2 years outdated. Updated BIOS from version 8/1/2019 to version 6/15/2021.)

Graphics
HP 24yh (1920x1080@60Hz)
ASUS VN248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Unknown) 35 °C

PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 120-GP-0650-X1, 650 G+, 80 Plus Gold 650W

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Issue: My custom-built AMD PC constantly does the following almost daily. Sometimes multiple times in a day.
  1. Computer crashes and shuts itself down. No indication of overheating according to temp monitoring software. No BSOD. No error codes.
  2. Computer boots back up. Only the computer tower lights up—attached peripherals are unresponsive and do not light up (backlit Razer keyboard, Anker mouse with color-changing lights, etc.)
  3. Monitor powers on but only show black. System doesn't even make it to the BIOS after crash+reboot.
Attempted Solutions:
  1. Replaced PSU.
  2. Updated AMD drivers.
  3. Rolled back AMD drivers.
  4. Integrity-checked all hard drives with Hard Disk Sentinel. All HDs showing no errors or bad sectors.
  5. Reseated RAM.
  6. Tried running MemTest86 twice. Computer did the crash+reboot+black screen routine during both tries.
I appreciate any and all help, and will respond to every solution I'm advised! Not just for my sake, but for those that can use and learn from my PC issues to save time, money, and frustration. Topic Creators—don't abandon threads! Share what solutions worked for you. One user's problem thread can be a hundred users' solution thread.

Last edited:
Solution
I couldn't guarantee it, but that does sound like a heat problem to me. At least that's the first thing I'd be checking. Especially when you have to wait a few minutes before you can boot again.

If you haven't got quality thermal paste I'd get some of the Noctua NT-H1 paste. It's relatively cheap and works quite well. Lots of people recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but it feels like spreading melted cheese on your CPU. It works well, but it's super thick and stringy and hard to work with. If you've got decent thermal paste now you could even try redoing your CPU with that while you wait for the new cooler to show up.

As for the PSU; fair enough. The 650W from EVGA should be enough for that setup. Was just checking to make sure the...

Zavelin

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Let us know how that goes, it should drop your temps at idle down to high 30s or low 40s if you've done it right. Once you're seeing that it's time to run through your stability tests again and see if the problem is gone.

The install went great, any problems I ran into were "user error". A missed screw here, a totally-forgetting-to-plug-the-CPU-cable-back-in there...clearly I should never be a surgeon. The instructions for the cooler basically beg you to use the pea/dot in the center method of applying the paste, so I went with that.

Those temps are looking way lower! Let me try running Memtest.

Zavelin

Honorable
May 25, 2015
MemTest came back clean. We're good to go!

ISSUE:
  1. Computer crashes and shuts itself down. No BSOD. No error codes.
  2. Computer boots back up. Only the computer tower lights up—attached peripherals are unresponsive and do not light up (backlit Razer keyboard, Anker mouse with color-changing lights, etc.)
  3. Monitor powers on but only show black. System doesn't even make it to the BIOS after crash+reboot.
  4. Every time the computer shuts down, I have to wait a few minutes before it will boot up into Windows instead of just a black screen.

TROBLESHOOTING IN ORDER OF COMPLETION:

1. Updated BIOS and chipset drivers. Double checked for other out-of-date drivers using Driver Genius.
  2. Disassembled PC. Removed stock AMD CPU cooler and installed Noctua NH-15 cooler with NT-H1 thermal paste.
  3. Before reassembling PC, dusted with compressed air, wiped dust off fans, and used 91% isopropyl alcohol clean other areas. Allowed to dry overnight before reassembly.
  4. Reassembled PC. Idle temperatures as much as 34°C (93.2 °F) cooler!
DIAGNOSIS: OVERHEATING DUE TO AMD STOCK CPU COOLER PROVIDING INSUFFICIENT COOLING. RESOLVED BY INSTALLING AN UPGRADED CPU COOLER.

@Skrybe @artk2219 @ohio_buckeye @Danra @dorsai THANKS EVERYONE!

Reactions: dorsai and Skrybe