[SOLVED] PC randomly crashing, restarting, then fails to fully boot. Doesn't even make it to BIOS after self-restart. AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, ATI Radeon RX 580.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zavelin

Honorable
May 25, 2015
Let us know how that goes, it should drop your temps at idle down to high 30s or low 40s if you've done it right. Once you're seeing that it's time to run through your stability tests again and see if the problem is gone.
The install went great, any problems I ran into were "user error". A missed screw here, a totally-forgetting-to-plug-the-CPU-cable-back-in there...clearly I should never be a surgeon. The instructions for the cooler basically beg you to use the pea/dot in the center method of applying the paste, so I went with that.

Those temps are looking way lower! Let me try running Memtest.

Jun 22, 2021
Low 30s, even better! Fingers crossed that solves the problem entirely. Even if it doesn't running your CPU 30 degrees cooler is definitely a good thing.

Zavelin

Honorable
May 25, 2015
MemTest came back clean. We're good to go!

ISSUE:
  1. Computer crashes and shuts itself down. No BSOD. No error codes.
  2. Computer boots back up. Only the computer tower lights up—attached peripherals are unresponsive and do not light up (backlit Razer keyboard, Anker mouse with color-changing lights, etc.)
  3. Monitor powers on but only show black. System doesn't even make it to the BIOS after crash+reboot.
  4. Every time the computer shuts down, I have to wait a few minutes before it will boot up into Windows instead of just a black screen.
TROBLESHOOTING IN ORDER OF COMPLETION:

1. Updated BIOS and chipset drivers. Double checked for other out-of-date drivers using Driver Genius.
  2. Disassembled PC. Removed stock AMD CPU cooler and installed Noctua NH-15 cooler with NT-H1 thermal paste.
  3. Before reassembling PC, dusted with compressed air, wiped dust off fans, and used 91% isopropyl alcohol clean other areas. Allowed to dry overnight before reassembly.
  4. Reassembled PC. Idle temperatures as much as 34°C (93.2 °F) cooler!
DIAGNOSIS: OVERHEATING DUE TO AMD STOCK CPU COOLER PROVIDING INSUFFICIENT COOLING. RESOLVED BY INSTALLING AN UPGRADED CPU COOLER.

@Skrybe @artk2219 @ohio_buckeye @Danra @dorsai THANKS EVERYONE!

Reactions: dorsai and Skrybe

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS