Question PC Randomly crashing

Dec 2, 2021
I need some help, when I am playing warzone or Battelfield 2042 my screen randomly goes to standby but it seems like my pc keeps running (fan's keep turning, mouse and keyboard light up). When I try to restart my pc, I have to shut it down by longpressing the power button on my case, it seems like it is starting up but my screen stays in standby but all fans start spinning and everything lights up. The cpu light on my mobo flashes a few times and then the VGA light stays on permanently. I only get my pc started by taking out the cmos battery a couple of minutes and then booting up again. When I get booted up the reliability monitor gives "Hardware Malfunction" as a LiveKernelEvent 141.

At first I tought this was a warzone only thing but now it fails on BF2042 as well so if anybody has a guess which it could be I would be glad to hear it as it is getting really annoying not being able to play.

Thanks for reading.

My specs are:
Mobo: MSI b450 tomahawk max
Ram: Corsair LPX Vengeance 3200 C16 2x8Gb
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Gpu: MSI RTX 2060 Super
Psu: Corsair VS650 (gold rated)
HDD: Seagate barracuda 2tb
SSD: Kingston 440Gb
Nvme2: Samsung 980 1Tb

I need some help, when I am playing warzone or Battelfield 2042 my screen randomly goes to standby but it seems like my pc keeps running (fan's keep turning, mouse and keyboard light up). When I try to restart my pc, I have to shut it down by longpressing the power button on my case, it seems like it is starting up but my screen stays in standby but all fans start spinning and everything lights up. The cpu light on my mobo flashes a few times and then the VGA light stays on permanently. I only get my pc started by taking out the cmos battery a couple of minutes and then booting up again. When I get booted up the reliability monitor gives "Hardware Malfunction" as a LiveKernelEvent 141.

At first I tought this was a warzone only thing but now it fails on BF2042 as well so if anybody has a guess which it could be I would be glad to hear it as it is getting really annoying not being able to play.

Thanks for reading.

My specs are:
Mobo: MSI b450 tomahawk max
Ram: Corsair LPX Vengeance 3200 C16 2x8Gb
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Gpu: MSI RTX 2060 Super
Psu: Corsair VS650 (gold rated)
HDD: Seagate barracuda 2tb
SSD: Kingston 440Gb
Nvme2: Samsung 980 1Tb

VS650 is not "gold rated", BTW.

And while the VS650 isn't a PSU I would use with an RTX 2060, the problem is probably not PSU related. If it were, the PC would reboot or shut down.

How old is this build? Did it work previously and just started doing this?

Reactions: rgd1101
Dec 2, 2021
VS650 is not "gold rated", BTW.

And while the VS650 isn't a PSU I would use with an RTX 2060, the problem is probably not PSU related. If it were, the PC would reboot or shut down.

How old is this build? Did it work previously and just started doing this?
This build is from april last year and I din't have any issues. Now that I recall my dog bumped into my desk a couple seconds before, could that have something to do with it?

Yes that's the ram model
And what's the version number of the RAM?
e42corsair_modelsticker.jpg.54d6157e4368d400e741be10eedc7357.jpg

but why is that a bad thing
It's about compatibility. Every version use a different Memory IC. Not every MIC is compatible with Ryzen. That's why MSI listed the version number behind all Corsair RAM at the QVL.
and isn't corsair one of the better brands?
It's not about the brand and it's not about the wattage. It's about what's inside the box. Platform, quality, voltage regulation, protections etc. Your system runs flawless on a high quality 450w.

Dec 2, 2021
It's about compatibility. Every version use a different Memory IC. Not every MIC is compatible with Ryzen. That's why MSI listed the version number behind all Corsair RAM at the QVL.

It's not about the brand and it's not about the wattage. It's about what's inside the box. Platform, quality, voltage regulation, protections etc. Your system runs flawless on a high quality 450w.
but it ran fine on that ram and psu for over a year. Is the psu a reason for the VGA light going on when it crashes?

Dec 2, 2021
That's massive. It's still properly mounted after the dog bumped it? Remove the cpu cooler, reseat the cpu and install the cooler again with fresh thermal paste.
Yes I've reseated it afterwards, but it wasnt a big bump, my pc barely moved, but I think it is coincidal with when the crashes started