[SOLVED] Pc Randomly disconnects on Internet (LAN) and prompts to restart afterwards

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Hi! I have been noticing a problem of my PC. Sometimes the internet / ethernet (LAN) disconnects randomly and cannot be fixed by windows network diagnostics unless the pc is restarted. The Network diagnostics says that the problem could be solved by networking reset hence; restarting the pc. I also checked at the back of the pc and the LAN or RJ 45 lights aren't lit up). I also checked if my wifi is working (my phone didn't get disconnected as well as the other PC that we have that my mother use for work, so definitely not a router problem). I also tried changing LAN ports and it's still the same, I also tried changing the LAN cable itself from a new one and the problem still persists.

Basically everytime it disconnects, windows network diagnostics prompts me to restart the pc in oder to fix it. After windows boots, it always asks me everytime to "allow this pc to be discovered by devcices etc" and then the ethernet starts working again.
I tried several basic fixes such as flushing the DNS cache, netsh winsock. The only thing that I haven't tried is to try to reinstall windows as a whole (clean install). I do not know if this is a hardware problem by the motherboard (ethernet port not working maybe? because my motherboard is about 7 years old now.) (ASUS h81M-D haswell) or a problem with my OS (also tried chekdsk and sfc /scannow).

Is there anyone that could help me identify what the problem is or anyone that has encountered a simillar problem? dunno whats wrong and its always annoying to have my pc restarted everytime it disconnects to the internet.

PC SPECS:
CPU: i5 4570s
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-D
RAM: HyperX Fury DDr3 1866mhz DDR3 8gbx2
SSD: ADATA 120gb
HDD: Seagate 1TB

Solution
My guess is no. The device you list takes a fiber optic connection directly. These type of devices tend to not be standard...ie like a cable modem would be. They vary quite a bit between ISP. Then even if you could find one the ISP may prevent you from connecting it to their network. This tends to be even more true if you have telephone service on the box also.

What should work is to buy another router that has a ethernet wan port unlike your current one that has DSL. When you plug into the wan port of a new router you are in effect treating the ISP router as a modem even though it is a router.

Then you would need to check that the lan was not using 192.168.1.x and if it is change it to something like 192.168.0.x...
Hi! I have been noticing a problem of my PC. Sometimes the internet / ethernet (LAN) disconnects randomly and cannot be fixed by windows network diagnostics unless the pc is restarted. The Network diagnostics says that the problem could be solved by networking reset hence; restarting the pc. I also checked at the back of the pc and the LAN or RJ 45 lights aren't lit up). I also checked if my wifi is working (my phone didn't get disconnected as well as the other PC that we have that my mother use for work, so definitely not a router problem). I also tried changing LAN ports and it's still the same, I also tried changing the LAN cable itself from a new one and the problem still persists.

Basically everytime it disconnects, windows network diagnostics prompts me to restart the pc in oder to fix it. After windows boots, it always asks me everytime to "allow this pc to be discovered by devcices etc" and then the ethernet starts working again.
I tried several basic fixes such as flushing the DNS cache, netsh winsock. The only thing that I haven't tried is to try to reinstall windows as a whole (clean install). I do not know if this is a hardware problem by the motherboard (ethernet port not working maybe? because my motherboard is about 7 years old now.) (ASUS h81M-D haswell) or a problem with my OS (also tried chekdsk and sfc /scannow).

Is there anyone that could help me identify what the problem is or anyone that has encountered a simillar problem? dunno whats wrong and its always annoying to have my pc restarted everytime it disconnects to the internet.

PC SPECS:
I would try to do a fresh install of all these drivers windows may have over ridden Asus drivers with windows basic driver because "they're newer driver that ""support"" Asus product when they don't really"

Generally if the light go out it is a physical failure. Also since pretty much everything other than a power cycle does not fix it also means it is more likely some hardware issue.

In most cases this is a ethernet cable issue. Be very sure the cables you tried are quality cables. There is a lot of fake cable being sold, the ones you see very commonly are those flat cables that have wires too small to meet the standards for ethernet cables.

If it would fail more often you could test using a USB linux image to prove it is not software but when you have to wait randoms times for a failure it is hard to test unless you can actually use linux for more than just simple boot and speedtest.

At some point the only thing left to try is a replacement ethernet port. They are not real costly. Internal PCIe cards tend to perform best but it depends on you case layout if that is a option. You can also use USB3 devices.

Generally if the light go out it is a physical failure. Also since pretty much everything other than a power cycle does not fix it also means it is more likely some hardware issue.

In most cases this is a ethernet cable issue. Be very sure the cables you tried are quality cables. There is a lot of fake cable being sold, the ones you see very commonly are those flat cables that have wires too small to meet the standards for ethernet cables.

If it would fail more often you could test using a USB linux image to prove it is not software but when you have to wait randoms times for a failure it is hard to test unless you can actually use linux for more than just simple boot and speedtest.

At some point the only thing left to try is a replacement ethernet port. They are not real costly. Internal PCIe cards tend to perform best but it depends on you case layout if that is a option. You can also use USB3 devices.
As much as you are right on a lot of this, you forgot the factor of bad drivers can also cause this issue

PC SPECS:

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

I see. Yeah when I check when the ethernet goes down, the light turns off (the green and orange one).

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
H

About the cables, the new cable that i got was sealed and it came with the PC that the company of my mom sent, (their office LAN cable) surprisingly, we already have a bunch of LAN cables so it was just an extra, I tried using it to see if it was a cable problem but yeah, the disconnects are too random, sometimes every morning/midnight or even in the afternoon but no consistent time / patterns so i figured it also wasnt the isp or router auto resetting cause everytime it disconnects, I always check the other devices too if they get disconnected , and they do not.

Ralston18

Titan
Just a couple of questions and suggestions.

First - "I also tried changing LAN ports and it's still the same, I also tried changing the LAN cable itself from a new one and the problem still persists." By LAN ports you mean on the router - correct?

You are using a direct PC to Router wired Ethernet connection - correct? No wall network jacks , switches, or other devices of any other sort along the path.

Did you try any other known working Ethernet cables that did not come from work?

Second - Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that precede or correspond with the disconnects.

Third - make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some event that precedes or corresponds with the disconnects.

Forth - Turn off all power savers etc.. Determine if the network disconnects continue or not.

Reactions: white.a.drew

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Just a couple of questions and suggestions.

First - "I also tried changing LAN ports and it's still the same, I also tried changing the LAN cable itself from a new one and the problem still persists." By LAN ports you mean on the router - correct?

You are using a direct PC to Router wired Ethernet connection - correct? No wall network jacks , switches, or other devices of any other sort along the path.

Did you try any other known working Ethernet cables that did not come from work?

Second - Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that precede or correspond with the disconnects.

Third - make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some event that precedes or corresponds with the disconnects.

Forth - Turn off all power savers etc.. Determine if the network disconnects continue or not.

1.) Yes, The LAN Router ports, and yes I do use all Wired connections. Both PC's in the house use RJ 45's

2.) There is something between the path, basically, Main router->secondary router -> my pc, and my mom's pc are both connected to the secondary router. When I disconnect, she doesn't.

I meant that I switched/swapped out everything from the 2nd routers ports, including my mom's pc LAN slot and my own lan slot) again, I think if it was the problem then my mom's wouldve been disconnected everytime that i do too right? and if it was the ports, My Pc wouldn't have been disconnected and she wouldve been disconnected instead if i switch. (but that's not the case).

3.) Router is umm, the standard one provided by our ISP. It is a PLDT router (don't know the exact model) both a fiber router (main router) and the 2nd router (a dsl router), I basically use the 2nd router as a hub because the company doesn't allow 2 or more LAN ports to be connected on their routers at the same time.

With the logs, i don't think I am allowed to access it since the company doesn't allow it (as far as I know).

4.)I noticed that my power savings are set to "balanced". I was sure i set it to high performance before since I game a lot but ill check again if it was the cause.

P.S. now that i noticed, before, the internet of my pc goes down every 12:53 AM before (this happened for like 3-4 days), but I stated above that it was random because this time, the pc disconnects every 1:03 AM now. I don't know if it will continue doing this at a set interval / a set amount of time but I always watch it when it disconnects and I take note when the patterns / intervals change. The most accurate interval / average that i took note of it that it disconnects at least every 24h, there is not a day that the internet of my PC does not go down even at least once. (before it was 12:53, now its like past 1:00AM-ish)

I also forgot to add that sometimes that it disconnects and prompts me to restart before it gets fixed. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and the ethernet goes back live after 2-3 seconds. (It's just such a hassle to get disconnected for 2-3 seconds to have me relaunch my game again).

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
This router perhaps?

https://setuprouter.com/router/pldt/speedsurf-504an/

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/router/pldt/SpeedSurf 504AN v2/10379/

Make and and model second (DSL) router?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) using the Command Prompt on your pc and on your Mom's pc.

Post the results here.

Be sure to indicate which pc is being shown.

The results can be used to troubleshoot the network's configuration settings.

Umm not that router. I'm afraid im not able to run commands on my mom's pc since it is locked by their company / administrator (cannot access control pannel etc.)

The 1st router model is.

fiberhome hg6245d

The 2nd router model is

baudtec rn243r4

Ipconfig results on MY PC:
View: https://imgur.com/uCwZekQ

View: https://imgur.com/lZEiQSX

Ralston18

Titan
Okay - things have narrowed down a bit:

Based on what you have posted thus far, the ipconfig information that you have provided, and a bit of research I believe that there is a network configuration issue. Also noted a couple of other potential issues. However, will focus on what seems most immediate.

1) Do you or your Mom use VPN?

2) If your Mom's computer is company owned and locked then we cannot and should not touch that.

3) If the fiberhome hg6245d router is also locked by your ISP then there is little or nothing that can be done there. Admin rights are needed if configuration changes are needed for the fiberhome router.

As I understand your network environment I would expect that the ISP provided fiberhomehg6245d router would be configured to be a modem only (DHCP functions disabled) and the baudtec router configured to provide DHCP to connected wired/wireless devices. Those devices being your pc and your Mom's computer. Plus any other network devices: printers, network storage, guest devices, etc. if any.

[Note: No wireless devices other than your phone connecting to the network - correct? Are you able to post the phone's network configuration settings? Do not include passwords or any personally identifying information. Redact personal information as necessary.]

The other immediate configuration being that the ISP router being left as is (combination modem/router) and the baudtec router configured to be a simple non-managed switch.

So who installed and configured the second (baudtec rn243r4 ) router? Who has full admin rights to at least that router?

Help is needed from that person.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Okay - things have narrowed down a bit:

Based on what you have posted thus far, the ipconfig information that you have provided, and a bit of research I believe that there is a network configuration issue. Also noted a couple of other potential issues. However, will focus on what seems most immediate.

1) Do you or your Mom use VPN?

2) If your Mom's computer is company owned and locked then we cannot and should not touch that.

3) If the fiberhome hg6245d router is also locked by your ISP then there is little or nothing that can be done there. Admin rights are needed if configuration changes are needed for the fiberhome router.

As I understand your network environment I would expect that the ISP provided fiberhomehg6245d router would be configured to be a modem only (DHCP functions disabled) and the baudtec router configured to provide DHCP to connected wired/wireless devices. Those devices being your pc and your Mom's computer. Plus any other network devices: printers, network storage, guest devices, etc. if any.

[Note: No wireless devices other than your phone connecting to the network - correct? Are you able to post the phone's network configuration settings? Do not include passwords or any personally identifying information. Redact personal information as necessary.]

The other immediate configuration being that the ISP router being left as is (combination modem/router) and the baudtec router configured to be a simple non-managed switch.

So who installed and configured the second (baudtec rn243r4 ) router? Who has full admin rights to at least that router?

Help is needed from that person.

1.) Not that i know of no, my mom is not that good in computers and she doesn't even know what a VPN is. Everything is just set up for her in her pc by their company and all she does there is work. I also think that she is not allowed to install any other software aside from the ones that she use for work.

2.) Yes it is indeed locked

3.) Yes, i think so too. before I was able to access the hg6245d via 192.168.1.1 (cause I was trying to enable NAT but didnt succeed anyways) but now I can't seem too, it says SSL encryption error or whatsoever.

4.) Yes no other wireless devices other than my phone, my mom's phone, my father's phone, and mines, but those wireless devices are connected to the main fiberhome router, not the 2nd one that we use for LAN.

5.) The one who configured the baudtec router as a hub was the technician when he activated our FIBR internet connection in our subdivision / village. Before we were using DSL cables but we got an upgrade and he said, if we were gonna use more than one LAN port on the main router (fiberhome) we would need to sign a waver that anything happens to the router / damage would not be replaced by the company so we just didn't go through it. Hence, he saw the old DSL router that we were previously using and set it up as a hub.

From what I remember, he didnt configure anything really software-wise(I watched him as he did it). He just used a LAN cable from Fibrhome to the DSL router (2nd router)

basically the physical set up is

Main Router ->->RJ45 ->-> DSL router then from DSL router -> two LAN PC'S are connected to it. (I didnt know that it was possible or that it worked that way but it did).

The one that has admin rights are the guys that they deploy when theres a problem in the internet connection I think, or the ones that installed our FIBR internet. (I think they all have access no matter who it is)

Hmm if help is needed, that would mean we would need to ask for tech support from our ISP?

Ralston18

Titan
Expanding your line diagram:

ISP === fiber ===> fiberhome hg6245d router [LAN Port] ---Ethernet ---> [WAN port]baudtec rn243r4 [LAN port(s) --- Ethernet---> to your PC and your Mom's PC.

The fiberhome router should be configured as the main router providing DHCP IP addresses to network devices (wired and wireless).

The baudtec router should have its' router functions disabled making the baudtec router simply a switch.

As a customer you should have Admin access rights to the fiberhome router - otherwise you would have no control over configuration settings such as network names, wireless passwords, assignment of static network addresses (if required), guest users, parental controls etc.

FYI:

https://www.techchore.com/pldt-default-password/

As I understand it, you gained access to the fiberhome router using 192.168.1.1 which is one of the default addresses for the router. And you either used the default admin login/password or created (changed) to your own combination.

Your computer (per ipconfig /all) appears to be getting its' assigned DHCP Address of 192.168.1.11 from the fiber home router. Maybe....

However, the baudtec router (if enabled as a router) is also likely to be using 192.168.1.1

Reference:

https://www.cleancss.com/router-default/BaudTec/RN243R4

Is the following User Manual link a match to your Baudtec Router?

https://usermanual.wiki/BaudTec/RN243R4/html#pf24

If so, determine if possible without changing anything, that you are able to access the baudtec's admin functions.

And per physically numbered Page 67 how is DHCP configured?

Even thought I said we do not want to touch your Mom's computer (and we don't) she should still be able to go to the Command Prompt and run "ipconfig /all" and be able to see the results. Doing so does not make any changes to her computer which is what we truly want to avoid.

Her computer may be correctly configured to receive an assigned DHCP address via the fiberhome router.

Your computer is probably getting confused between the routers - likely a configuration error of of omission or commission.

The objective is to configure your computer's network configuration (not-working) to match your Mom's network configuration (working).

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Expanding your line diagram:

ISP === fiber ===> fiberhome hg6245d router [LAN Port] ---Ethernet ---> [WAN port]baudtec rn243r4 [LAN port(s) --- Ethernet---> to your PC and your Mom's PC.

The fiberhome router should be configured as the main router providing DHCP IP addresses to network devices (wired and wireless).

The baudtec router should have its' router functions disabled making the baudtec router simply a switch.

As a customer you should have Admin access rights to the fiberhome router - otherwise you would have no control over configuration settings such as network names, wireless passwords, assignment of static network addresses (if required), guest users, parental controls etc.

FYI:

https://www.techchore.com/pldt-default-password/

As I understand it, you gained access to the fiberhome router using 192.168.1.1 which is one of the default addresses for the router. And you either used the default admin login/password or created (changed) to your own combination.

Your computer (per ipconfig /all) appears to be getting its' assigned DHCP Address of 192.168.1.11 from the fiber home router. Maybe....

However, the baudtec router (if enabled as a router) is also likely to be using 192.168.1.1

Reference:

https://www.cleancss.com/router-default/BaudTec/RN243R4

Is the following User Manual link a match to your Baudtec Router?

https://usermanual.wiki/BaudTec/RN243R4/html#pf24

If so, determine if possible without changing anything, that you are able to access the baudtec's admin functions.

And per physically numbered Page 67 how is DHCP configured?

Even thought I said we do not want to touch your Mom's computer (and we don't) she should still be able to go to the Command Prompt and run "ipconfig /all" and be able to see the results. Doing so does not make any changes to her computer which is what we truly want to avoid.

Her computer may be correctly configured to receive an assigned DHCP address via the fiberhome router.

Your computer is probably getting confused between the routers - likely a configuration error of of omission or commission.

The objective is to configure your computer's network configuration (not-working) to match your Mom's network configuration (working).

I'm sorry I forgot to add that, in my mom's case, she is also using a CISCO Phone.

So the accurate topology would be

Main router -> Lan Cable -> 2nd Router -> 2 Lan Cables, 1 for my PC, 1 for the Cisco phone, and from the Cisco Phone -> to my Mom's PC

With the baudtec router DHCP disabled, i really don't recall the technician configuring it to be like that, (he didn't do anything software related when he used the DSL router as a hub or switch). I just watched him plugged LAN cables and that was it.

"As I understand it, you gained access to the fiberhome router using 192.168.1.1 which is one of the default addresses for the router. And you either used the default admin login/password or created (changed) to your own combination."

Yes, before I was able to at least view the login/homepage for the fiberhome router using 192.168.1.1, but now for some reason, i cannot access it. I used default admin / password before when I was trying to enable NAT(didn't work so I just left it) and then changed the password to my own combination (not that too complicated from the default one and I have the login credentials saved on a notepad, so I was sure that 192.168.1.1 is what I used to get there even though im already connected to a second router.

I tried going to 192.168.1.11 but it doesn't let me go there too. For reference this is what the webpage tells me "
This site can’t provide a secure connection
192.168.1.1 uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
"

With the manual, I am not sure. The drawing of the router is not 100% accurate and I think it is not the same, the DSL baudtec pldt router that I use has no antenna's attached to it.

For an accurate representation, this is what it looks like PLDT Home DSL Modem WiFi Router BaudTec RN243R4-2T2R-A6 not Huawei ASUS, Computers & Tech, Parts & Accessories, Networking on Carousell

"Your computer (per ipconfig /all) appears to be getting its' assigned DHCP Address of 192.168.1.11 from the fiber home router."

I remember, I set the assigned DHCP address of 192.168.1.11 from the fibr router's settings to my PC, I was the one who did that.
I tried going to 192.168.1.11 but it doesn't let me go there too.

"If so, determine if possible without changing anything, that you are able to access the baudtec's admin functions."

Hmm, I think it is not possible now since, before the upgrade, when we were using the DSL baudtec router as the main one (no fibr router yet), i also used 192.168.1.1 as a default landing page, once we had the fibr router, I tried going to 192.168.1.1 and the landing page was automatically on the fibrhome one not the baudtec's one so i don't know if i can access it this time. Though if there is, a way, I would also love to know.

With my mom's PC, I'm not sure if i can do that as she is currently working as of this moment, and I wouldn't think that she would allow me to tinker it even if it is only a cmd of ipconfig /all.

Last edited:

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
I'm sorry I forgot to add that, in my mom's case, she is also using a CISCO Phone.

So the accurate topology would be

Main router -> Lan Cable -> 2nd Router -> 2 Lan Cables, 1 for my PC, 1 for the Cisco phone, and from the Cisco Phone -> to my Mom's PC

With the baudtec router DHCP disabled, i really don't recall the technician configuring it to be like that, (he didn't do anything software related when he used the DSL router as a hub or switch). I just watched him plugged LAN cables and that was it.

"As I understand it, you gained access to the fiberhome router using 192.168.1.1 which is one of the default addresses for the router. And you either used the default admin login/password or created (changed) to your own combination."

Yes, before I was able to at least view the login/homepage for the fiberhome router using 192.168.1.1, but now for some reason, i cannot access it. I used default admin / password before when I was trying to enable NAT(didn't work so I just left it) and then changed the password to my own combination (not that too complicated from the default one and I have the login credentials saved on a notepad, so I was sure that 192.168.1.1 is what I used to get there even though im already connected to a second router.

I tried going to 192.168.1.11 but it doesn't let me go there too. For reference this is what the webpage tells me "
This site can’t provide a secure connection
192.168.1.1 uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
"

With the manual, I am not sure. The drawing of the router is not 100% accurate and I think it is not the same, the DSL baudtec pldt router that I use has no antenna's attached to it.

For an accurate representation, this is what it looks like PLDT Home DSL Modem WiFi Router BaudTec RN243R4-2T2R-A6 not Huawei ASUS, Computers & Tech, Parts & Accessories, Networking on Carousell

"Your computer (per ipconfig /all) appears to be getting its' assigned DHCP Address of 192.168.1.11 from the fiber home router."

I remember, I set the assigned DHCP address of 192.168.1.11 from the fibr router's settings to my PC, I was the one who did that.
I tried going to 192.168.1.11 but it doesn't let me go there too.

"If so, determine if possible without changing anything, that you are able to access the baudtec's admin functions."

Hmm, I think it is not possible now since, before the upgrade, when we were using the DSL baudtec router as the main one (no fibr router yet), i also used 192.168.1.1 as a default landing page, once we had the fibr router, I tried going to 192.168.1.1 and the landing page was automatically on the fibrhome one not the baudtec's one so i don't know if i can access it this time. Though if there is, a way, I would also love to know.

With my mom's PC, I'm not sure if i can do that as she is currently working as of this moment, and I wouldn't think that she would allow me to tinker it even if it is only a cmd of ipconfig /all.

Update: I am now able to access 192.168.1.1 by using Internet Explorer, with baudtec landing page, I do not know if I can
Though i am able to access the landing page of 192.168.1.1 (fibrhome) i now cannot log-in as I think my ISP updated our firmware (i tried login credentials but it wont let me access it). There was a guide on youtube that before i login on the landing page, I would need to restart my router (couldn't do that now) but yeah, he says that it is such a hassle since the router should be restarted / disconnected from the fiber cable before logging 192.168.1.1. (just in case you would need me to see the settings regarding 192.168.1.11 being manually assigned)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Who provided the Cisco Phone and for what reason?

For a wired connection to your Mom's phone all that should be necessary is 2nd Router as a switch ----Ethernet cable ----> Mom's PC. No need, that I have noted thus far, for the Cisco Phone to be part of the connection path.

Basic network line diagram (where ----> represents an Ethernet cable) as I believe it should be. However, someone else may spot some error of omission or commission on my part and correct accordingly. Or make other suggestions. I have no problem with that.

ISP === fiber ===> fiberhome hg6245d router [LAN Port] ---Ethernet ---> [LANport] baudtec rn243r4 [LAN port(s)] --- Ethernet---> to your PC and another ----> to your Mom's PC.

fiberhome router being 198.162.1.1 (subnet 255.255.255.0)

Somewhere in the fiberhome admin pages you should be able to find the allowed DHCP IP address range. What is that range?

Your pc's ipconfig indicates that your pc is currently using an assigned DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.11. Which router is providing that address I cannot determine for sure. The Cisco Phone now being involved.

[Regarding: "I tried going to 192.168.1.11 but it doesn't let me go there too. For reference this is what the webpage tells me ". You are trying to go to your own computer. Problematic to begin with but combined with other apparent issues the error's meaning may be a bit garbled.]

baudtrec router should have its' DHCP functions disabled making it essentially a switch.

All network devices should be using the fiberhome router as their gateway (192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0) and their respective network adapters configured to do so.

If either router has been factory reset then the router reverted to its' default configuration settings. If anyone logged into either router and changed any settings then those configuration settings need to be known.

Work to determine the following:

1) That you can gain administrative access to both routers. Do not change anything. Gain access and keep notes (IP address, admin name, password) regarding how you gained access.

2) Determine what IP addresses are assigned to or being used by each network device along with the applicable DHCP IP address range.

3) Look in the router's admin pages for some diagram or listing of connected devices. The list may indicate what is and is not currently connected. What devices (if any) are listed? E.g., your PC and IP address, Mom's PC and IP address etc.

4) Does your Mom have any technical support for her work PC? Was the Cisco phone intended to be a hot spot for her computer?

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

For a wired connection to your Mom's phone all that should be necessary is 2nd Router as a switch ----Ethernet cable ----> Mom's PC. No need, that I have noted thus far, for the Cisco Phone to be part of the connection path.

Basic network line diagram (where ----> represents an Ethernet cable) as I believe it should be. However, someone else may spot some error of omission or commission on my part and correct accordingly. Or make other suggestions. I have no problem with that.

ISP === fiber ===> fiberhome hg6245d router [LAN Port] ---Ethernet ---> [LANport] baudtec rn243r4 [LAN port(s)] --- Ethernet---> to your PC and another ----> to your Mom's PC.

Somewhere in the fiberhome admin pages you should be able to find the allowed DHCP IP address range. What is that range?

Your pc's ipconfig indicates that your pc is currently using an assigned DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.11. Which router is providing that address I cannot determine for sure. The Cisco Phone now being involved.

[Regarding: "I tried going to 192.168.1.11 but it doesn't let me go there too. For reference this is what the webpage tells me ". You are trying to go to your own computer. Problematic to begin with but combined with other apparent issues the error's meaning may be a bit garbled.]

baudtrec router should have its' DHCP functions disabled making it essentially a switch.

All network devices should be using the fiberhome router as their gateway (192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0) and their respective network adapters configured to do so.

If either router has been factory reset then the router reverted to its' default configuration settings. If anyone logged into either router and changed any settings then those configuration settings need to be known.

1) That you can gain administrative access to both routers. Do not change anything. Gain access and keep notes (IP address, admin name, password) regarding how you gained access.

2) Determine what IP addresses are assigned to or being used by each network device along with the applicable DHCP IP address range.

3) Look in the router's admin pages for some diagram or listing of connected devices. The list may indicate what is and is not currently connected. What devices (if any) are listed? E.g., your PC and IP address, Mom's PC and IP address etc.

4) Does your Mom have any technical support for her work PC? Was the Cisco phone intended to be a hot spot for her computer?

1.) Will do and try some time tomorrow, as stated I will be needing to disconnect the router as a whole before going in to the 192.168.1.1 landing page and login.

4.) Cisco phone is used for her work, she is doing calls to patients.

Just an update, i disconnected again this day at 1:08 AM for 2-3 seconds (yesterday it was at 1:10+ AM ish) but yeah the range is very close. I checked to see if my mom's was disconnected but she wasn't, her connection was fine as she was doing calls when my PC got disconnected.

1.) Will do and try some time tomorrow, as stated I will be needing to disconnect the router as a whole before going in to the 192.168.1.1 landing page and login.

Just an update, i disconnected again this day at 1:08 AM for 2-3 seconds (yesterday it was at 1:10+ AM ish) but yeah the range is very close. I checked to see if my mom's was disconnected but she wasn't, her connection was fine as she was doing calls when my PC got disconnected.
Is the phone plugged into the secondary router or the main router

If the phone is plugged into the main router then ignore this if plugged into the secondary router, it maybe signal connection getting crossed with the phone line and Ethernet to your PC, this being the connection to the PC via Ethernet is on a similar line signal basically trying to use your PC as a fax machine instead of a pc

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Just an update: and I also forgot to add. Sometimes my pc, "disconnects" from the ethernet but will still have an internet connection. Right now, it is "Network No internet access" but I still do have an internet connection because I am typing this.

Some apps don't work and actually thinks that I do not have an internet connection (even though i can play other online games, browse the internet / web browser) if this happens.

Before this happened today though, we restarted our main router because my mother was having technical internet problems for 3 days now (slow internet during 8PM-10PM) but that might be likely just be an ISP issue being loaded at the moment.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015

Just another update, I was able to access our DSL router (secondary) one by typing in 192.168.1.1 while the main router is turned off.

Here are all the info (i don't know if it helps but here it is)

View: https://imgur.com/a/VkF21Bu

In regards with the primary router, I Still couldn't get access with it, (The youtube guy told me that I need to remove the fibr optic cable first while the router was turned off and try to login in 192.168.1.1 while the router has LOS red light on it. He said that if I tried to login while the router was on/off without LOS, I wouldn't be able to gain access even if i had the personalized admin password inputted correctly (hence why he wants me to disconnect the fibr cable first). He said our ISP purposely did this.

I remember, while trying to gain access to 192.168.1.1 before, I read youtube comments of some people that had the same ISP as mine and they were also trying to access admin rights to 192.168.1.1 and they said that the ISP people gave them the admin rights only if they signed the waver. I also wasn't able to gain access to admin rights of our router, I just did it with a trick from youtube before but yeah, I think the ISP was restricting us access unless we sign the waver (the same waver that I talked about before, one that unlocks the other 3 LAN ports of our main router).

This is a long chain and I think ralston18 mentioned this but not sure what was done.

So from what I see from your last post both router have exactly the same IP address. This will cause you all kinds of strange random issues if you can even get it to work.

What I am unclear about is do you have the the cable that goes from the primary router to the second router in the WAN port of the second router or the LAN port. If you are using the WAN port I am kinda surprised it works at all, routers normally don't work at all when the lan and wan are on the same subnet. In this case change the lan IP on the second router to something like 192.168.0.1.

If you cabled it to the LAN port then you are using the second router as a AP. To run this way change the IP to something like 192.168.1.250. You must also disable the DHCP function in the second router. If you leave it on both the ISP router and the second router will attempt to give out IP addresses and you get very strange problems.

Reactions: white.a.drew