[SOLVED] PC randomly drops wired connection for 5-20 seconds each time then speeds cap out at 95 mbps

jaydin.suncar

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2017
Hi everyone , I been having this issue for several months where the connection on my pc randomly drops for 5-20 seconds and whenever the connection restores , my download and upload speed gets capped at 95 mbps. I use a cat 7 ethernet cable from my pc to router , whenever the problem occurs the LED from LAN port 1 is is off on my router . Whenever the connection on my pc restores , the LED for LAN port 1 would be orange which indicates the speed for that device is capped at 95-100mbps . LAN port 1 is connected to my pc btw. These are the changes/fixes I've attempted :

Scanned pc for any viruses/malware
Tried a different LAN port on router
Updating Ethernet drivers
Network reset
Tried using a different ethernet cable
Tried using the other ethernet port on my motherboard since there is 2
Rebooting router

Configuring the network adapter settings
EEE Max Support speed from auto to 1.0gbps
Energy-Efficient from enabled to disabled
Gigabit Lite from enabled to disabled
Green ethernet from enabled to disabled
Power Saving mode from enabled to disabled
Speed & Duplex from auto to 1.0gbps
unticking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Whenever the issue occurs , its like there is no ethernet plugged into my pc or LAN port 1 on my router . This issue only occurs on my pc , any help would be appreciated .

CPU : AMD Ryzen 3600xt
Motherboard : MSI B550 Tomahawk
Router : Netgear Nighthawk R6400v2
ISP : Verizon Fios

Solution
It almost has to be a bad cable. The other option would be a bad port which you can't fix.
Leave the setting on auto. Both ends must be set the same and most routers only work on auto.

You have to be very careful about fake cables. It is actually more common to get fake cables with bigger cat numbers. Cat7 cables never fully got certified and are actually very expensive to build correctly. Many cat7 cables that are inexpensive are fakes.

You only need cat5e cables there is no benefit to buying a higher number when your router ports can only run 1gbit. You need pure copper cables (no CCA) and the wire must be 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

There really are no setting that can affect how the speed is negotiated...
It almost has to be a bad cable. The other option would be a bad port which you can't fix.
Leave the setting on auto. Both ends must be set the same and most routers only work on auto.

You have to be very careful about fake cables. It is actually more common to get fake cables with bigger cat numbers. Cat7 cables never fully got certified and are actually very expensive to build correctly. Many cat7 cables that are inexpensive are fakes.

You only need cat5e cables there is no benefit to buying a higher number when your router ports can only run 1gbit. You need pure copper cables (no CCA) and the wire must be 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

There really are no setting that can affect how the speed is negotiated. This is done at a very low hardware level so it almost always is some hardware issue and you hope it is only a cable. I would avoid using the 2.5g port on your motherboard. There have been strange issues with both realtek and intel. Intel was much worse where a large run of chips had a design issue that could only really be fully fixed by replacing the motherboard.

Solution

jaydin.suncar

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2017

There really are no setting that can affect how the speed is negotiated. This is done at a very low hardware level so it almost always is some hardware issue and you hope it is only a cable. I would avoid using the 2.5g port on your motherboard. There have been strange issues with both realtek and intel. Intel was much worse where a large run of chips had a design issue that could only really be fully fixed by replacing the motherboard.

Oh i see , i’ll make sure to not get any cat 7 cables in the future and set the setting back to auto . I have a xbox one connected to my router with a cat 7 cable as well and never had a problem with the internet connection on it.

Oh i see , i’ll make sure to not get any cat 7 cables in the future and set the setting back to auto . I have a xbox one connected to my router with a cat 7 cable as well and never had a problem with the internet connection on it.
Have you tried swapping the cable? Then you could rule out the cable or the port on the PC

Yeah Cat 5e is a lot cheaper and works up to gigabit. Would say if you’re gonna get stuff like a NAS maybe upgrade to cat 6 and get a motherboard and a NAS that has over gigabit networking. Cat 6 isn’t too expensive and works up to 10gbps

Defective cables are very strange. Some equipment will tolerate out of specs cables more than others. Even the very best quality cables will at times go bad. It actually takes very little to damage a cable, you pull too hard and the end get just a little loose internally in the plug and they can work very intermittently.

The meters that can really test cables to see if they meet certification standards are way to costly for pretty much anyone other than someone who make their living installing cables. All you can do is buy new cables from a reputable vendor when you are a end user and hope they last.

jaydin.suncar

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2017
Have you tried swapping the cable? Then you could rule out the cable or the port on the PC

Yeah Cat 5e is a lot cheaper and works up to gigabit. Would say if you’re gonna get stuff like a NAS maybe upgrade to cat 6 and get a motherboard and a NAS that has over gigabit networking. Cat 6 isn’t too expensive and works up to 10gbps
i tried a different cat 7 cable , but i’ll use a cat 5e and see how that works out