Question PC randomly freezes and my USB ports seem to lose power ?

Mar 29, 2023
Hello, hopefully someone here can help me. I recently had a custom pc built for me through cyberpower. I decided to go all out (on my budget at least):

Specs:
MSI MPG Z690 FORCE
Intel i9-13900K
GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
32GB Fury DDR5 6000mhz RAM
Corsair 1000 watt PSU
Corsair 240mm liquid cooler
4TB HDD / 2TB SSD.

might not be the best but i thought it was pretty good. The OS is Windows 11.

Now don't get me wrong, whenever it doesn't freeze up i love it. it runs everything that i throw at it but its just the irritation of being in that one intense moment on a game and out of nowhere it freezes.

I think it has something to do with the USB ports because I lose all function of my mouse and keyboard, but at the same time my mic stays lit up so i dont understand that. i just hold the power button to shut it down and it instantly boots up like nothing happened. All of these parts should be brand new minus the 3 months I've had the pc. so please if anyone has any idea on what might be causing it please let me know.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event at the time of the freezes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the timeline format can prove very helpful with system history and patterns.

Event viewer takes more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Also:

How many USB devices are connected? If all are drawing power from the host computer's USB ports try using an independently powered USB hub.

Plug the hub into one of the host system's USB ports and then plug the USB devices into the hub.

Mar 29, 2023
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event at the time of the freezes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the timeline format can prove very helpful with system history and patterns.

Event viewer takes more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Also:

How many USB devices are connected? If all are drawing power from the host computer's USB ports try using an independently powered USB hub.

Plug the hub into one of the host system's USB ports and then plug the USB devices into the hub.
thanks for the reply, i looked at the event viewer and i have no idea what im looking for. i read the passage from the link you provided and i got a little bit of a better idea. its saying something about kernel power "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." that is under the critical tab so i assumed that might be the one to look at?

as far as the usb devices plugged in, 9 in total. so if you thing a usb hub would solve the issue what do you think about this one? https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Char...B07KHRLSTT/ref=psdc_172504_t1_B07G8S324L?th=1

Mar 29, 2023
Has this been happening ever since you received the PC, or just recently? Have you checked to see if all your motherboard's drivers were installed by cyberpower? Are your GPU drivers up to date? Do you have the latest non-beta BIOS installed?
thanks for the reply i just updated all of my drivers tonight so we will find out if it fixed it thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Likely that having 9 USB devices is a bit too much for the host system's ability to provide steady power to all of them.

What are those devices?

The hub that you linked seems more applicable for the use of multiple thumb drives versus actual USB devices such as keyboards, mice, USB network adapters, external USB drives, etc. However, full disclosure, I am not familar with the product so will defer to those who have purchased and used the hub.

My choice would be an independently powered hub with fewer ports. Probably just 4, maybe 6, to connect the real power drawing peripherals.

If possible, try to borrow and test a known working, independently powered USB hub of any sort from a family member or friend.

Do some testing to determine if the hub does indeed reduce the number of freezes and associated USB power problems. Continue watching the error codes, warnings, etc.. Reliability History is much easier to use. Then, if and as necessary, go to Event Viewer for more information and depth regarding any given error or other entries.

Also: do keep in mind that USB ports can be problematic. Especially with causing intermittent shorts that result in system crashes.

Shutdown, unplug, and use a bright flashlight to inspect all USB ports for signs of damage or debris. Especially around the I/O port.

Mar 29, 2023
solved*** turns out the usb ports are fine. i followed all of yalls tips and ended up updating my bios and motherboard and so far haven't had a crash since so in my book it is fixed. thank you all for your help and i will come back here if it crashes again but so far its good :)

Reactions: rickypicky5