Question PC Randomly freezes and screens become solid colors

poorhobo88

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
So ever since yesterday my pc will randomly freeze and the screens go a solid color(the color seems to be random) and I have to hard reset the pc to get back to normal function until it happens again. It is not a new build, I built this PC around a year ago and never have had this problem since.

I updated my nvidia drivers the night before this happened and it has been happening ever since then but I have rolled them back and it is still occurring. I also updated my BIOS to the latest version and that also did not help. It's also not temps, the temps are fine. I booted into safe mode and it seems to not happen while in safe mode, but it's hard to tell because it isn't triggered by anything in specific. While in safe mode I used DDU to uninstall my nvidia drivers and then reinstalled them, which didn't fix the issue.

My best guess is a dead/dying GPU which I really hope isn't the case given the current supply issue.

Here is an example of what happens when it freezes. This is only 2 of the times it happened out of the like 9 or 10 at this point.

Specs:
Ryzen 2700x
16gb ddr4 ram
GTX 1080Ti
MSI x470 Gaming Plus motherboard
I dont remember the exact PSU but its a good rated EVGA one off of the top tier in the psu tier list like ~750 watts
1 M.2 ssd and 2x samsung 860 evos
Windows 10

I really need this fixed and any help is appreciated.

Last edited: