Question PC randomly freezes completely

Apr 19, 2019
I just bought a new pc with following specs

-CPU: Intel Core i5 9400F 6-Core 6x2.9Ghz (turbo: 4.1Ghz)
-GPU: Inno3d Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5X
- Case= Sharkoon Skiller SGC1 gamer
-SSD: 256GB NeoForza SATA600 SSD
-HDD: Toshiba 500GB SATA3 DT01ACA050 7200 32
-MOBO: MSI B360M Pro VH
- RAM:16GB DDR 4 Gskill 2666Mhz
- Wifi: PCI Express TP-Link TL-WN881ND (300MBit)
- PSU: CoolerMaster 600 watt B600 Black voeding
- CPU Cooling: Cooler Master H411R

My problem is at the most complete random moments (can happen during gaming or just browsing the internet) the pc completely freezes nothing responds and the audio plays a loop of the sound that is played at the moment.
I have to shutdown the pc completely (hard shutdown) cuz nothing works anymore. I checked if it was a temperature issues but it isn't all fans work in idle its around 30-40° Celcius.
Now the weird thing is my previous pc i had before this had the same exact problem (it happened when i upgraded that pc to w10)

Anyone any suggestions of what the problem can be ?
(i already tried another keyboard,mouse and unplugged the webcam becuz thats the only thing this pc and my previous one have in common)

Last edited:
F4-2666C19S-8GIS
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2666c19s-8gis

Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.

Use of identical, exact match, same thing have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Such combinations often cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications. Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage

If memory modules pass MemTest86 when not combined together, that is, if used as Singles, then the memory is good.

Apr 19, 2019
F4-2666C19S-8GIS
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2666c19s-8gis

Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.

Use of identical, exact match, same thing have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Such combinations often cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications. Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage

If memory modules pass MemTest86 when not combined together, that is, if used as Singles, then the memory is good.

Shouldn't it normally not matter if u put single modules together? like 99out of 100 times it works
i did the memtest86 with both of them in and the pc froze 3 times at test13 (hammertest)
kinda hard for me to take a module out since the cpu cooler cable is in front of it in the way to take it out and its connected somewhere on the backplate where the mobo is on and i don't wanna take it all out since the pc is on waranty

RAM sold in kits are ONLY guaranteed to run at their advertised speed with that specific number of sticks. Yes, most of the time you can buy 4 singles and it works fine, but it's not guaranteed. Oftentimes, if the sticks aren't faulty but not working together, making unpaired sticks run normally only requires a minor timing or voltage tweak.

If RAM can't pass MemTest even for 25 minutes, it's faulty. I'd recommend testing with only 1 stick installed at a time. Most likely one stick will work fine and run indefinitely without errors, and the bad one won't. Testing a good and bad stick together can/ will extend the time required to uncover the fault.

If the sticks were bought in a kit (set of 2 or 4) you'll need/ want to send the full kit back for replacement (for reasons explained above)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
RAM sold in kits are ONLY guaranteed to run at their advertised speed with that specific number of sticks. Yes, most of the time you can buy 4 singles and it works fine, but it's not guaranteed. Oftentimes, if the sticks aren't faulty but not working together, making unpaired sticks run normally only requires a minor timing or voltage tweak.

If RAM can't pass MemTest even for 25 minutes, it's faulty. I'd recommend testing with only 1 stick installed at a time. Most likely one stick will work fine and run indefinitely without errors, and the bad one won't. Testing a good and bad stick together can/ will extend the time required to uncover the fault.

If the sticks were bought in a kit (set of 2 or 4) you'll need/ want to send the full kit back for replacement (for reasons explained above)
i tested them individually and one stick made the pc freeze when it did the memtest a 2nd time (2/4 around 30minutes)
the other completed all 4/4 tests without any problems
Its under waranty so if they send the exact same single module RAM (like it is now) will it cause a problem? Or will it be fine?

Like I said, you replace the whole kit. However many sticks came together. If you bought them all as single sticks, you'll replace a single stick.

The manufacturer will know this because the SKU indicates if a stick came as a kit or single.

Replacing a faulty kit/stick with a working one is the whole idea.

Apr 19, 2019
Like I said, you replace the whole kit. However many sticks came together. If you bought them all as single sticks, you'll replace a single stick.

The manufacturer will know this because the SKU indicates if a stick came as a kit or single.

Replacing a faulty kit/stick with a working one is the whole idea.
They are just single module sticks, don't come from a kit so i will probably get the same single module stick just asking if i replace the single stick i won't get the same problem cuz its 2 single kits

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Yes, after you get a replacement for the faulty stick, more than likely everything will work fine.

Warranty returns are free anyway.
Pc was running great for 3days with no issues but i saw i had to put the 1 Ram module i have into the other slot (DIMMA1) and it feezes on start up now i switched it back into the other slot and my pc freezes even more

Apr 19, 2019
Yes, after you get a replacement for the faulty stick, more than likely everything will work fine.

Warranty returns are free anyway.
i had to put the 1 Ram stick i have into the other slot (DIMMA1) and it feezes on start up now i switched it back into the other slot and my pc freezes even more. Sended the pc back and they replaced both RAM sticks , what are the chances both RAM sticks are faulty when i tested that one with memtest86 and it didn't show any problem?