PC randomly freezes or reboots

shalamovr

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Hello everyone!

So, as the title says: my PC randomly freezes or reboots. Usually after one reboot it works fine for several weeks or even months. But mostly it happens once a month. Sometimes the PC would freeze/reboot several times in a row (usually a couple of times). It happens mostly after Windows boots up, but sometimes it would freeze while it is booting up or even in BIOS. However today it rebooted five times — three times after starting Windows and two times while playing a game.

The specs are following:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3225 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1Gb
Memory: (don't know the exact models, but can figure this out by digging into PC) 2x2GB, 4GB = 8Gb in total, DDR3
HDDs (checked with AIDA64):
1) WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 (931 Gb)
2) ST3320620AS (298 Gb)
3) Hitachi HDS721032CLA362 (298 Gb)

The PC is connected to UPS.

What I've tried so far (will update if you recommend anything):

• Ran MemTest86, found nothing
• Tried different slots for memory, the same
• Checked all the cords and cables inside, everything's connected and fine (but did it a while ago)

Video card is also probably fine, I use this PC only for games, and it runs Doom 2016 demo, as well as other games without any issue. The drivers are up to date.

The issue is probably with hardware as it may freeze and reboot even without loading OS. I don't think that's overheating, because it would freeze/reboot after a fresh start.

Any tips on further diagnostics?

UPD: Ok, so I switched it off and now, when trying to switch it on, it "tries" to switch on — I can hear and see that fans start spinning but they stop immediately and then it tries again and again. Have to turn the power supply off to stop it. My guess now is that PSU is dead.

apologetic_zombie

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
So you might be in a boot loop, make sure all dust is clear from heatsinks and fans. See if you can try and get into the BIOS (usually tap the DELETE key rapidly as soon as you turn the pc on). If you cant see if you can clear the CMOS

D

Deleted member 217926

Power supply make and model?

To be clear, the computer worked fine then started doing this and it got worse or it has always done this since it was new?

shalamovr

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016

PSU model is Thermaltake TR2-470 PP (470W).

It is hard to tell, probably since it was new, but it was on rare occasions — maybe once in two months. It was hard to track or reproduce because it was random.

Okay, so I managed to run the PC, it booted Windows and freezed. Rebooted, turned it off then turned it on and again, it tried to spin the fans but didn't start. It did start from third attempt. I'm gonna dig into it today, unscrew the PSU and check its capacitors inside, as well as motherboard capacitors.

shalamovr

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
So I unscrewed the old PSU and and checked its insides, there was like a TON of dust and one bulged capacitor. I went and bought a new 650W Chieftec (was gonna upgrade the PC anyway, so extra power won't hurt), installed it and PC booted without any issue. I'm still gonna have to monitor it and play games for some time, so I'll came back to this thread in a few weeks.

shalamovr

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Update: it seems that PSU was not an issue (or maybe partly). The PC now starts without a problem, however it would reboot or freeze randomly while loading Windows or several minutes after loading. Any ideas for further diagnostics?

TRENDING THREADS