LexyV

Honorable
Aug 17, 2015
Dear Tomshardware forum

I'm having issues with my desktop as it started randomly freezing several weeks ago. This started happening after having had to replace my HDD that became corrupt, I then got an SSD. The pc freezes when using any program or even performing simple actions, from 2-15 seconds and then unfreezes. I have looked at countless Youtube videos and guides trying to solve it to no avail.
What I did however discover is that it's my drive that causes it, when a freeze occurred I'd have my task manager open to monitor it and as the pc froze I could see the drive usage percentage ramp up to a 100%, then fall back to its usual 3-10% and unfreeze. I tried as I said a bunch of things, such as disabling windows search, superfetch and much more. Those all didn't work so I reset my whole windows, wiping and reinstalling everything, and at first the issue seemed to be fixed, but it came back. Although, after resetting windows the drive percentage went to 50% and freezed instead of a 100, but now even task manager freezes. On the task manager it also doesn't show whether a certain program is causing it, as all the programs I'm using at the time never use more than .1MB/s when it occurs.

My specs are:
MB: Gigabyte B250-HD3P
CPU: I5-7400 3GHz
GPU: (Gigabyte) Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
PSU: TS FXF (not entirely sure which model)
-
Please let me know if any other info is needed (I have speccy)

Thanks
A

davesnothere

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
First, i would try changing the sata cable and plugging it into a different port. someimes the cable or the port soldered on the board gets damages...

after eliminating hardware possibilities above, download and install windows server evaluation: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019
Fill out some info to go to your spambox, then download and burn off the iso.

then install it on that system. then go to the control panel, click on system, then click Adavanced system settings, then click the settings button in the performance box, then click the advance tab on the performance options window that pops up, then select Programs to adjust services performance.

After going through windows updates, reboot, and see if things are ok. I use server 2016 instead because if the driver don't meet the timing specification, it will refuse to load.
Most likely its the Nvidia driver, but I know some drivers for the hdd controllers in windows10 are junk too. I think me running server 2016 is why my old 2010 single core 2.0G 170u runs faster than the store bought i7 3.2G that the office has bought for me to use there.

fahad9t

BANNED
May 12, 2019
Do you use scripts after fresh install to remove bloatware?
once i applied all the scripts that wer in debloating and then i got the same problem like u
try to check ur reg with ccleaner