Question PC randomly freezing and crashing

Ragnarok777

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've got a somewhat new PC (1 year old) that has started to freeze and crash since about 2 months ago. It happens completely randomly regardless if I'm playing high-end games or just browsing the web. Sometimes it happens twice a day and sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days.

I've tested just about everything. See below the steps I've taken:
  • Ran full memory diagnostics (Used Memtest84 with a 4 pass full test)
  • Ran GPU benchmark tool (Furmark, tested for 10ish minutes, no crashing/freezing)
  • Rolled back to a previous version of Windows (1904 iirc)
  • Did a clean reinstall of Windows and updated it
  • Installed and updated all drivers (tried rolling back to previous GPU drivers as well)
  • Reseated RAM just in case
  • Ran HWINFO to check temperatures. All temps are within normal ranges except the GPU that run a bit hot, but there's a known cooling issue with that model.
It usually freezes becoming completely unresponsive and then restarts after a while or freezes for a split second and then restarts.

When the PC manages to produce a dump file it always points to ntoskrnl.exe+487a98 being the problem. I can post a link to the full file if it is necessary. I've still got warranty on the whole PC, but I just need to be sure there isn't something I'm missing before I go through all the effort of sending it back.

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM
16,0GB Single-Channel Corsair @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz) (NOTE: This display is connected with a VGA-DISPLAYPORT adapter, not sure if that could cause crashing? I have been using it like that for months though)
DELL S2440L (1920x1080@60Hz)
8GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
Storage
476GB Hitachi HS-SSD-E100 512G (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST1000NM0011 (SATA )
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS