[SOLVED] PC randomly freezing, even after all parts replaced ?

vbishop86

Commendable
Jun 11, 2019
Hello. I've been having this issue on and off for over a year and a half now, even after replacing every component. I'm at a complete loss for what could be causing the freezing.

I did a completely fresh install of Windows 10 Pro onto my brand new SSD (bought this morning). I replaced my old HDD with a brand new one this morning as well. All other components (processor, motherboard, graphics card, RAM, PSU) have all been replaced in the last year since the random freezing began and nothing has seemed to remedy this. The only thing I haven't replaced is the case itself and the PCI-E wireless adapter.

What's been happening is my computer will just suddenly stop responding - I could be playing a game, browsing the internet or even having my PC sitting idle. Sometimes, it will happen after an hour but other times it can happen after 5-10 minutes. My display freezes, I cannot use my mouse or keyboard and I need to restart my computer. I do not get any blue screen of death. I've ensured all updates to Windows are installed, all drivers are updated & that my BIOS is updated.

I've been monitoring temperatures the entire time - I haven't seen any spikes that would indicate overheating. I have three fans for my case itself - two on the front and one on the back. I am using the stock cooler on this processor, however the temperatures seem to be normal.

Below is a list of my specs - any help would be greatly appreciated.

MBD: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650
SSD: WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB (2017)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB @ 1330Mhz
PSU : Corsair TX550M

Thanks!

Solution
The only thing I haven't replaced is the case itself and the PCI-E wireless adapter.

Nothing can be excluded from the diagnostic plan, you should use an USB Wi-Fi dongle to test to see if the problem persists after removing the PCI-E wireless adapter.

Or you can just remove the PCI-E wireless adapter, uninstall its drivers and use the computer offline (or use an Ethernet cable) for a while for the test.
The only thing I haven't replaced is the case itself and the PCI-E wireless adapter.

Nothing can be excluded from the diagnostic plan, you should use an USB Wi-Fi dongle to test to see if the problem persists after removing the PCI-E wireless adapter.

Or you can just remove the PCI-E wireless adapter, uninstall its drivers and use the computer offline (or use an Ethernet cable) for a while for the test.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

vbishop86

Commendable
Jun 11, 2019

I’ve been hard-wired in for most of the weekend and it was still freezing. I just removed the wireless adapter and it froze on me again.

It’s been freezing during Windows 10 installation, it froze after a fresh install as well. I tried not installing drivers and it freezes. I tried updating drivers and it freezes.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this to keep happening.