PC - Randomly freezing - have replaced almost every part yet it still happens

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys
i have owned my current pc for about two years .... every thing was fine about until 8 months ago where my pc would randomly hard hang and would require me to Hold the power button for atleast 5 seconds until it shutback down again ,

on event log it would show up as KERNEL- POWER 41 error

I found this weird because ever since that day my pc would freeze randomly lets say once in 30 mins or somethimes twice a hour and sometimes it would carry on working for 3 hours with out hanging, Before that for the past year and 2 months my pc would be working perfectly

The hangs would happen randomly sometimes at login screen , Some times at the WINDOWS loading screen before the loginscreen , when i would be playing games and even just idling

I have checked all my temperatures never goes above 50.C thats for all components graphics card CPU and motherboard. And mind you i have not installed any new harddrive or software , the problem just started randomly and on its own . i Run everything at stock and only use EVGA Precision X for my GPU fan as a tinker that is it .

All my parts are warrantied so i took it into the store , I replaced my Ram all 4 sticks Corsair vengance 16 gb 1600mhz , MY cpu also got replaced brand new i 2500k , My graphics card for a gtx 680 to a GTX 780 , Even my coolermaster GX 750 bronze to a seasonic 850 , As for the motherboard (p8z77-V ASUS) i sent it back to the service center and they informed me that it was working perfectly fine

Even after almost getting an almost new system the problem still occurs

i have read almost every single " pc freezing and hanging " forum out there on the internet and have tried every thing for the past 8 months to get my pc working , Disk check - Audio drivers , Reseating of cpu heatsink , Registry cleaner , I have even ran all virus tests countless of times , i have used almost every method given on forums or any help i could get

The only thing on my current rig that has no been replaced is my WD 2 TB green HD and my OCZ Vertex 120 GB which i have tried out both individually one unplugged while one is plugged both have windows installed and it still freezes.Could the problem be the HD and the SSD since they are the only parts which i have not switched out or got new

Help would be greatly appreciated as i have been desperately trying to get my Rig back working again as i would like to enjoy what i paid so much for , i hope this post is not long and boring but i honestly dont know what else to do - on top of everything the computer engineers who have looked at my pc have no idea what the problem is

The only thing i have not done is Reformat both my HD and SSD , or swapped them out for new ones could this be the problem ?

Thanks alot for your time and experience

CPU - i5 2500k
Ram - Corsair veng 16gb 1600mhz
MOBO - Asus p8z77-V
GPU - GEFORCE 780 - Asus
PSU - Almost brand new - 850 seasonic 80 plus
HHD - WD 2TB
SSD - OCZ vertex 2 - 120 gb
Case - Coolermaster HAF X

jnewegger23

Distinguished
What version of windows do you have? Windows 8 has a "Refresh" option that supposedly makes your system like new without having to do a true re-install. Acronis has a try and decide option (I have a full retail paid verson) but I'm not sure if this available on their free trial version and perhaps you can get that going and try a fresh reinstall. It could be one of your drives has an issue but it's hard to say. If you do any reinstall options make sure to have time to activate windows with a possible phone call! Hope this gets you going in the right direction!

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks alot for your reply , i am running windows 7 64 BIT , i usually use it for gaming , do you suggest i install windows 8 and scrap my current windows 7 ? but i have heard that if you want to keep your rig for gaming should stick to windows 7 , but hey if windows 8 makes this problem go i will install it in a heart beat

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I keep hearing repeated clicking sounds on my HD every time i click or go into a folder for my HD

Ive tried unplugging the HD and only running the SSD problem still occurs, and vice verca as well

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
i just installed a fresh windows 7 , on a NEW HARDRIVE BRAND NEW , and it still froze, i have no idea what the problem could be now, guess onlything to do is send the motherboard back to the service center since it is my last and only option

jnewegger23

Distinguished
When you replaced all 4 sticks of ram did you try just booting with 1 stick. Read you mobo manual to make sure you properly place it when using only 1, try this 4 times (once for each stick and see if any of those work). Sometimes even in a batch you get 1 bad stick and it can mess things up. Not 100% sure on this but I feel your frustration and wanted to throw something in the dark that I didn't think to mention before. Also, your running everything at stock speeds right? Deal with oc's later if you aren't please. Thanks! Good luck! Update me when you get a chance.

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
yes i gave all my new parts to an engineer he said every thing was running fine as he has checked every thing , actually the service center said my last 4 ram sticks were fine as well but they insisted on giving me new sticks if it would help me fix the problem they are barley 2 months old , i make sure to load optimized defaults in my bios i have no tinkered with anything only thing i use is evga precision X for turning the fan speed up on my graphics card, my system can easily OC , but i have ran it on stock since the day i got it . Thanks for the input as i said earlier even though they gave me my motherboard back from the service center saying its 100% , its my only option every thing else is practically brand new i literally have no other options i even ordered a new surge protector incase i reallly have no idea at this point

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
i bought a new HDD and installed windows worked fine for an hour then boom freeze again thats how i isolated the problem back to the motherboard as it is the only part not on my pc that i have RMA

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Dude, you're not listening. YOU need to check the sticks 1 at a time even though they are new. Sometimes 4 sticks gets ordered brand new and even though they past testing (sometimes manufacturers fib!) you have to do this to see if one is bad when symptoms aren't checking right. It doesn't take that long. You can't assume it's not the ram since they replaced them. That might be part of the problem! I'm not mad, it's more like "dude, can you hear me?" in a funny way, not upset k? Your system can run on 4gb fine, not sexy fast but fine. Please try that and update me k?
But that said, it's probably not that but with all the crap you've been through I just want to make sure. Cause what if it is 1 stick and we figure out which one, then all you have to do is send that out and your done! Unlikely but just a shot.

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
something just weird happened , when i was testing my ram my screen would not turn on , the pc would boot but the screen would stay in power saver is that a sign of somesort ?

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Well, sorry, it's really hard to help over a forum at this point. When you do figure it out let us know how you got her back up and running! Best to you! Sorry I couldn't help more, try anandetch if you haven't sometimes there's some serious gurus out there but they can be snarky too if you're not careful so don't take their grumpiness personal.

Thanks,

Justin S.

athlonman00

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Something to consider if you're still experiencing these problems...I don't recall seeing anything about switching the data cables on the drives. They're not the most impervious little things, it may just be that you have a cable that's not transferring data all the time and causing lockups? Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Yeah i have tightened them re attached them , i got some new cables also , i have bought a new surge protector i have disabled/ enabled audio drivers , this is so frustrating i do not know know why this is happening !!!!!!

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
well i gave my mobo into the service center . they told me they put in a new bios chip , i will be getting it in a few days i will test it and let you guys know hopefully this fixes the probem.

Rezan Patel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013