Question PC randomly freezing while gaming

Mar 15, 2019
Specs: EVGA RTX 2070 XC 8GB AMD Ryzen 5 1600X G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING 2 1080p monitors, 1 144hz, 1 60hz

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15484262

Just today I started experiencing this issue after gaming with no issues for a few hours yesterday. I launched Apex Legends today which I’ve had some issues with in the past, and right before I got into a game my entire pc froze. I could not click, tab out, or anything. Picture still displayed on the screen with no movement, and I could still hear sound for about 30 seconds before cutting off. I had to hard reboot my PC and got the same error two more times while trying to play apex. Thinking this could just be a game specific issue, I launched Rainbow 6 Siege and hopped in a game. After a few minutes of gameplay I experienced the same crash.

I experienced the first crash on an outdated GeForce driver, and updated afterwards which did not seem to make a difference. I notice that it only seems to crash when GPU usage in task manager is at 99-100%. GPU temps and clocks seem fine to me (not that I am an expert). And I even tried underclocking slightly and still experienced the crash. I changed NVIDA Physx to CPU based on a recommended to someone experiencing a similar issue with no prevail.

I built this PC myself but am by no means an expert. I have been playing in it for nearly 9 months now with few issues but nothing as major as this.

Any help would be appreciated and I am happy to provide any additional information if necessary!

Edit: I found that while the pc is frozen I can press ctrl+alt+del and ctrl+alt+esc and after a minute or two the screen will go black and then the ctrl+alt+del menu will appear and I can return to the desktop with the game no longer open.