Question PC randomly freezing

Mar 15, 2023
It's been months that I'm experiencing random freezes on my pc, it started almost as soon as I bought it and I can't relate it to some change or accident. Most of the time it freezes while I'm just using the browser and often it happened while no user program was running. After the freeze I can't do anything but force the restart. It doesn't happen every time I uses it but sometimes happens multiple times a day.

I tried using different operative systems including different Linux distributions and Windows 11, the pc freezes on all of them. I tried removing one of the two ram slots I have and running on only one of them at a time even on a different slot, the system still freezes. I tried different GPU drivers and even running without the graphic card but it freezes anyway. I also tried to run an OS from a USB and I experienced a freeze in that case too. I ran memory tests and intel diagnostic tools and every test passed without any problem.

It's been months that I'm experiencing random freezes on my pc, it started almost as soon as I bought it and I can't relate it to some change or accident. Most of the time it freezes while I'm just using the browser and often it happened while no user program was running. After the freeze I can't do anything but force the restart. It doesn't happen every time I uses it but sometimes happens multiple times a day.

I tried using different operative systems including different Linux distributions and Windows 11, the pc freezes on all of them. I tried removing one of the two ram slots I have and running on only one of them at a time even on a different slot, the system still freezes. I tried different GPU drivers and even running without the graphic card but it freezes anyway. I also tried to run an OS from a USB and I experienced a freeze in that case too. I ran memory tests and intel diagnostic tools and every test passed without any problem.
Sounds like the psu is shorting out at random, a lot of system now if the psu shorts or something power related has a issue the screen will freeze all actions will stop there will be no audio the monitor will only display the last thing showing.... However it can also be the gpu randomly cutting power, very rare but there have been instances where the psu is sending the power however for some reason the gpu will just stop registering that it's reciceving anything. And lock up in a since.

Reactions: niccolo_zanieri
Sounds like the psu is shorting out at random, a lot of system now if the psu shorts or something power related has a issue the screen will freeze all actions will stop there will be no audio the monitor will only display the last thing showing.... However it can also be the gpu randomly cutting power, very rare but there have been instances where the psu is sending the power however for some reason the gpu will just stop registering that it's reciceving anything. And lock up in a since.

You can try running occt psu stress test if you get freezes during this it's most likely the psu shorting if not if maybe the gpu cutting out,,, not really sure how to diagnose that specifically can be stupid random things that trigger it.... It may also be corrupt system files cause a system failure.... But that would be easy to test by boot to several different iso... Even using a boot Linux distro from a USB if it freezes during this it's almost a promise psu or gpu... If no issues 99% most likely corrupted drives

Mar 15, 2023
You can try running occt psu stress test if you get freezes during this it's most likely the psu shorting if not if maybe the gpu cutting out,,, not really sure how to diagnose that specifically can be stupid random things that trigger it.... It may also be corrupt system files cause a system failure.... But that would be easy to test by boot to several different iso... Even using a boot Linux distro from a USB if it freezes during this it's almost a promise psu or gpu... If no issues 99% most likely corrupted drives
I tried removing the gpu and using the motherboard hdmi port and had the same issue, also tried every possible drive both on Ubuntu and Windows without having different results. I'll try the tests for the psu. Thank you so much.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Mar 15, 2023
I'll try to make some test with the psu and will let you know. Thank you a lot for the answer.

Reactions: white.a.drew