Question PC Randomly Hangs and Shuts Down

Nov 1, 2018
Hello all,

Recently my PC started hanging, sometimes showing black screen and shutting down by itself when not doing anything stressful.

I initially thought it was the external GPU (EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti) so I took out but the issue still persisted. I noticed that with the GPU i was getting black screen and random shut downs but with the integrated GPU i was also getting random colorful screen flickering as well.

I booted up the PC but the monitor started showing some weird colorful lines and flickering and eventually leading to freezing and hanging where there was nothing i could do but shut down the PC completely.

Sometimes the PCstarts normally, logs into windows and after some time e.g 1-30mins it hangs and shuts down.

My PSU was bought a year ago and its a good one: Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus Gold 650W

Is it possible there was a power surge and the PSU was affected?

Maybe the Motherboard?

I have tried switching aroung the ram sticks and using the one by one but the issue still persists.

Any ideas?

PC Specs
-------------
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
CPU: I5-4690K (Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600 )
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti
PSU: Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus Gold 650W
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

Jan 18, 2020
Hello all,

Recently my PC started hanging, sometimes showing black screen and shutting down by itself when not doing anything stressful.

I initially thought it was the external GPU (EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti) so I took out but the issue still persisted. I noticed that with the GPU i was getting black screen and random shut downs but with the integrated GPU i was also getting random colorful screen flickering as well.

I booted up the PC but the monitor started showing some weird colorful lines and flickering and eventually leading to freezing and hanging where there was nothing i could do but shut down the PC completely.

Sometimes the PCstarts normally, logs into windows and after some time e.g 1-30mins it hangs and shuts down.

My PSU was bought a year ago and its a good one: Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus Gold 650W

Is it possible there was a power surge and the PSU was affected?

Maybe the Motherboard?

I have tried switching aroung the ram sticks and using the one by one but the issue still persists.

Any ideas?

PC Specs
-------------
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
CPU: I5-4690K (Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600 )
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti
PSU: Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus Gold 650W
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

I experienced a similar problem like yours months ago and it ended up that my RAM's are causing it. I replaced them and now it's been a month since it's last restart.

Nov 1, 2018
I have replaced the PSU with a new one and the problem still persists. I randomly get BSOD's like MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and KERNEL_MODE_TRAP . I also get screen horizontal flcikering lines at random times and computer hangs.

Any ideas? I have checked my ram stick with memtest86 and it passed all tests.

I have tried using borrowed ram sticks but the issue still persists. I have also attached a video of the issue.
I left my PC on overnight and set it to never sleep and found it in the morning turned off.

Screen flickering and black screen here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyLLogBw-04
Have you made any changes to your registry editor or tried to overclock memory? Reset cmos and then reinstall windows if that doesnt work

DDU your drivers, update your bios and chipset drivers.

Nov 1, 2018
The PC wont even boot now, it doesn't pass post and doesnt send any signal on the display.
Also sometimes when i turn on the pc it immediately shuts down as if it loses power momentarily and starts again. It does this 2-3 times until it stays on but doesnt post.

Please help.