PC randomly hard resetting when in game.

veroxinfox

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I'm having issues while in game where my system will hard reset itself. I recently upgraded my gtx960 to a gtx1080ti, I never had these issues on my old 960 but then again I also was not playing my games at 4k highest settings with my 960 either. I checked both CPU and GPU temps, both well under their highest recommended temps, as well as bumped up my 8GB ram up to 16GB, still having the same issue. I am wondering if this is a PSU problem at this point either it overheating or not delivering the needed power my new GPU needs, but upon inspection I forgot I already had a 750watt PSU, so I am at a loss as to what the issue is. Keep in mind these are hard resets, there is no prompt that pops up stating Windows is shutting down beforehand. Any help at this point would be appreciated, please and thank you.

System Specs: Intel i5 7600k, GTX 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, MSI z270-A PRO, thermaltake 750watt PSU.

Solution

Some Tough Powers are well made and dependable. Unfortunately, that one... not so much. I would suspect the PSU, especially if it has been used a lot under heavy load.

veroxinfox

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

I have the Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU 750w bronze, I bought this in a used system back in 2013 and upgraded it with new parts over time, the PSU is the only thing I have yet to upgrade since 750watts is still plenty for my system, so I have no idea how old the PSU actually is other than me having it for 5 years. Here is a link to the PSU itself.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153036

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Some Tough Powers are well made and dependable. Unfortunately, that one... not so much. I would suspect the PSU, especially if it has been used a lot under heavy load.

Solution