Question PC randomly powers off until RAM is re-seated or 8pin CPU power is reconnected

Nov 19, 2019
First off, here are my specs:

MB: ASUS X99 DELUXE S/N F8MCK006715
BIOS: AMERICAN MEGATRENDS 4101 7/10/2019
CPU: INTEL CORE I7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 GHZ
MEMORY: BALLISTIX SPORT DDR4 8GB 2400 MHZ
HDD: SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 120GB
VGA: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980
POWER SUPPLY: EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W
OS VERSION: MICROSOFT WINDOWS HOME 10.0.17763 BUILD 17763

So I've been dealing with this issue on my PC I built in August of 2015 for about a month now, the issue seems to be getting worse as time goes on. It all started when I returned from a 3 day trip in the middle of October. I came home and tried to power on my PC and it struggled to boot. I tried re-seating the memory and it booted up. Had no issues for several days with the machine on 24/7, until one day it froze. The screen was on, and the QCODE on the MB read AA (all good) but I could not move the mouse or interact with the PC in any way. So I shut down the PC and then again experienced issues booting up. I went out and bought a brand new 8GB stick of memory and voila, machine worked fine. 5 days later, I was again experiencing random freezes/shut downs, this time more frequent. It would start to POST but then shut down, or it would get stuck on a POST code while trying to get into BIOS. It would get into BIOS but then freeze while in BIOS. It would get into Windows but then freeze 5-10 minutes after using it. My thought was that I had a faulty power supply, so I went out to buy a new one to test it. After disconnecting old power supply and reconnecting it to the new one, it still struggled to boot. The only way I could get it to boot up was a combination of re-seating the memory, resetting CMOS or disconnecting power supply and plugging it back in. I thought I had a faulty MB so I was able to boot up into BIOS and reflash my MB to the latest version ( was running on 2015 BIOS before) and that seemed to solve everything. PC was up and running with no issues, no freezes for several days again. Now the PC will just shutdown at random intervals with 00 QCODE. If I try to power it back on, it turns on and off very quickly, or boots to a certain stage and then shuts down, or doesn't boot at all and just displays the 00 QCODE (doesn't even power up case fans). Now, the only way I can seem to get my PC to boot is by either disconnecting the 8pin power connection to the CPU or the 24pin to the MB and then powering it back on. ASUS support seems to think my MB is faulty but it has been working for years without issue. They also think I have some bent pins on the CPU which seems impossible to me as I haven't re-seated the CPU since I first built the machine, I can't imagine the pins slowly "bend" over time. Both the new and old power supplies seem to produce similar, if not the same results. I cannot for the life of me determine what is going on with my machine, and to be honest I'm going a bit crazy trying to figure it out. What am I missing here?

Nov 19, 2019
Could be the board, but I wonder if its even worth going through all the trouble of finding a LGA 2011 MB instead of just building a new PC
They're fairly plentiful on eBay, give it a try.
Otherwise maybe it's time to upgrade, Ryzen is a pretty good value option if you don't want to break the bank.

Nov 19, 2019
They're fairly plentiful on eBay, give it a try.
Otherwise maybe it's time to upgrade, Ryzen is a pretty good value option if you don't want to break the bank.

Well, the system is running fine now. Haven't had any freezes/shutdowns in hours now. Still scratching my head to what might be going on. Gonna keep using my PC until more problems arise.