Pc randomly rebooting after upgrades

Nov 1, 2018
I recently upgraded some components on my MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) board. Previously, I was running a Anthlon II X 2 processor and a Geforce 550 Ti video card. A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded the processor to a FX8320e. Still using the old video card, everything is running fine. I bought a used Geforce GTX 1060 card off ebay. My system is using a Seasonic S12 Bronze 620w psu. I've had it about a year.

After I upgraded the processor, everything seemed to be running fine. After installing the new card about a week later, and making sure I had the latest graphics driver, my pc routinely seems to mysteriously reboot. I don't know if the shutdown is coming from the psu failing, or if it's an issue with the card. I don't get a blue screen or anything. Just a reboot. I don't have my old card anymore to test this theory, but I do have my old Thermaltake Purepower 600 psu to possibly test.

What I'm looking to find out is, is it possible its restarting because there's just not enough power feeding the video card and processor? Could this be simply because the parts require too much power? Or because the psu is failing? I suspect it could be the video card, but if that was the case, wouldn't I get a blue screen noting a hardware failure of the video card. I'm trying to deduce this problem since it started recently since the updated. Also, I've checked the processor temps when the system is running and its staying cool. So it's not that.

Any help is appreciated.

When do the reboots occur? If its under load then it would point towards a psu fault (such as not enough juice) or even temps. What are your temps under load? Hopefully a more experienced member can answer this since I am not very well versed with the older AMD hardware setups but I know certain Am3 boards could run cpus such as the 8320/50 etc but they weren't exactly designed to handle their tdp-it could also be a reason as to why you're facing an issue.

Nov 1, 2018
I've had the reboots happen while browsing the internet, and in some cases, right after a previous reboot. It's totally random though. I've never had it reboot while playing a game. I'm wondering if maybe the processor and the video card are pulling too much power off the rail causing the reboots. I've been checking air temperature coming out of the case and it's not coming out warm or anything. In fact it's blowing cool air right back outside the case. As for the processor.. I didn't have any issues with it the week before the video card came in. Even under load, temps stay low. I'm using the 8320e which is the 95w processor as my board isn't compatible with the 120w 8320 version. And the 8320e is only a 30w upgrade over the Athlon II X2 which required 65w. So I'm only drawing 30w more power to the processor.

The issue could be anything. I checked the capacitors on the board. They all look good. It's just awful timing with this stuff. So I'm mainly trying to deduce if the card could be thr issue (which it seems to work, and plays games just fine), or if it's the psu either failing, or just not having enough power for both. The psu is under a 5 yr warranty, so I could contact seasonic about a replacement.

InvalidError

Titan
A 620W S12-II should be enough to all but the most extreme single-GPU, single-socket heavily overclocked systems. An FX8320 and GTX1060 are unlikely to use more than half that much. Quantity and quality shouldn't be a problem here unless the PSU has a manufacturing defect.

One thing you could try that doesn't cost anything is removing the GPU drivers and running a registry cleaner (ex.: DDU) to remove orphaned crap before re-installing drivers, in case registry crumbs from older drivers are corrupting something.

Nov 1, 2018
"You can always try running some diagnostics such as memtest86 to see if your ram is playing nice. Also is your board running an updated bios? Perhaps there was a newer release that improved compatibility."

I did that. Memory test came back clear. Board has been using the latest bios for a while now.

Nov 1, 2018
"A 620W S12-II should be enough to all but the most extreme single-GPU, single-socket heavily overclocked systems. An FX8320 and GTX1060 are unlikely to use more than half that much. Quantity and quality shouldn't be a problem here unless the PSU has a manufacturing defect."

That's what I thought. But when I was in the bios, it looked like everything was running close max on the wattage. Which shouldn't be the case as a 600w should be plenty to power the card, the board, the processor, 2 HDDs, and 4 fans.

Nov 1, 2018
went into the bios, under pc health and this is what it's showing.

cpu temp: 30c/86f
system temp: 28c/82f
cpu fan speed: 3621 rpm
cpu vcore: 1.377v
3.3v | 3.344v
5v | 4.978v
12v | 11.968v

event logger is also showing

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 1

The details view of this entry contains further information.
WHEA-Logger
event id: 19

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.
WHEA-Logger
event id: 19

InvalidError

Titan
Cache hierarchy error sounds like Windows expects the CPU to have one cache layout and gets confused about the hardware having a different actual layout. One or more of the CPU-related bits of the Windows kernel or related drivers may not have updated correctly after you switched CPUs.

If you have a spare HDD, you may want to try clean-installing Windows on it and see if that makes your problems go away.

Nov 1, 2018
It wasn't rebooting before the video card though. I had already had the processor installed almost a week. I can try a clean install on the drive and see if that works. I was tempted to try hooking my other 600w power supply up and seeing if it does the same thing.

Something else to note. I've never had the system reboot while in the bios. So its plausible the issue could be windows related.

InvalidError

Titan

"Hard white stuff" is likely something like silastic - a silicone-based cement used to prevent components from moving so they don't break during shipping and handling.

Electrolyte that leaked out of capacitors is brownish in color and crumbles with little to no effort.

Nov 1, 2018
I have windows 10 on a flash drive, set it to boot first in the bios and I can't get past the windows screen. It just sits. Nothing happens. So I can't even do anything with reinstalling windows. Wtf