Question PC Randomly Rebooting, On the Verge of Instanity Please Help Me

Jan 13, 2021
Hello all,

I could really really use some help/advice as I am new to the PC community and am on the verge of insanity.

I just built a PC a week ago and it has been running perfect since a couple days ago, temperatures were running cool. It started with the blue screen of death with the Stop Code: APC_INDEX_MISMATCH. This would happen randomly, usually when alt tabbing out of games such as Warzone. It progressed and since then has gotten much worse.

Yesterday I was playing warzone and my entire system restarted. Usually the reboot is fine, but once I logged in, the system rebooted again and again. It is now to the point where it will run idle in both normal and safe mode, but any applications or system programs I try to run instantly causes a shutdown. I decided to uninstall Warzone since that seemed to be running when reboots happened, but this did not seem to solve anything.

I did a little research and performed multiple troubleshooting things. I did a "Clean boot", used sfc /scannow (encountered no issues, but now I cant even fully run that without the system rebooting), tried to run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and the other commands that follow but the system shutdown, and I ran memtest86 with no error found in the first round of 13 test. I opened the Event Log to see if I could see any errors which I did but the most recent were Critical: Kernal-Power and Error: DistributedCOM 10005.

It got to the point where I wanted to just reset windows and start fresh but I can't do that because when it starts reinstalling the PC restarts and fails to reset windows. I have tried reinstalling from the windows installer on a USB stick and the same issue occurs.

I decided that today I will try a couple things which could help.

1.) Restore BIOS - Earlier yesterday I switched all of my fans to PWM instead of Auto. This may not be the cause but it would be worth a shot since all of the happened after that change.

2.) Remove power to GPU and connect HDMI to Motherboard - I would like to try to eliminate any graphics card issues. I would update my GPU driver but the PC restarts when trying to do this.

3.) Test new power supply

Here are my PC specs just incase it helps... PLEASE SAVE ME.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($180.00)

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($159.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($214.88 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Lian Li UNI SL120 58.54 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($80.00)

Case Fan: Lian Li UNI SL120 58.54 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($80.00)

Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Best Buy)

Jan 13, 2021
My thought is re-install windows, but you can't.
Start removing stuff - start the process of swapping components and or testing in another system. Hopefully you will get an error specific to a device.

Tried a new PSU but did not work.. I was running in safe mode and noticed most restarts are when the CPU utilization increases to around 40-50%. Was thinking about running a CPU stress test.

I also did not try to install windows with a clean install from BIOS so I may try that as well

Jan 13, 2021

Hello all,

I created a previous post that outlined this issue but was going to make this one short for quick help.

My PC is currently only booting into safe mode. When I try to log into normal mode, windows says signing in and then my screen goes black and the "Republic of Gamers" logo appears and the system tries to load again, repeatedly restarting in a loop until every 3 fails Windows forces a screen where I can boot into safe mode.

Once in safe mode, it runs fine idle. When I start to load any applications or uninstall programs the system once again goes black and repeats the loop.

Solutions I have tried:

1.) Restore BIOS

2.) Disconnect power to GPU to see if system would still shutdown and restart. (Yes it still did)

3.) "clean boot" windows (disabled all drivers from task manager)

4.) Purchase a new PSU to try and replaced all power cables with new

5.) Ran Malwarebytes (unable to fully run because system shuts down during scan)

6.) Uninstall recent applications

7.) Tried to reset Windows via security in control panel but the system shuts down before it can be reinstalled

I have noticed that is seems to shutdown randomly at times as well as when there is any high utilization of the CPU. Beggining to think it could be hardware.

Ideas??

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2021
latest bios? xmp profile on?
check cpu/gpu ?
memory test?

Ran memtest86 and no errors came back. Its hard to check any CPU or GPU info because the system crashes consistently anytime I want to run test.

I will check XMP and the Bios but I reset the bios so whatever default settings are. I was planning to try and flash the bios just to be sure. Also worth noting the BIOs runs fine and has never crashed.

Jan 13, 2021
yeah if you are not running the latest bios. do update it. and then check xmp profile, then memory test

Yeah so windows install still did not work. It shut down after I entered the product key in the setup screen.

I am worried to do a BIOS Update because if it were to shutdown midupdate it may brick my board.

I was thinking about picking up a ROG B550-F Gaming board and basically swapping everything to see if that fixes it