Question PC Randomly Reboots. not overheating

ddarth

Prominent
Oct 6, 2018
This is my 2nd post in this forum, so pardon me if I get anything wrong. But here's what's going on, my pc would randomly restart itself. And this happens VERY randomly, sometimes I could be playing games for hours and it would run just fine without any reboots. other times it would restart up to 5 times in 1 hour just by browsing the internet. however this might just be a coincidence but everytime im downloading something it would restart itself. i dont know if this relate to the problem though. could be entirely coincidental. I also used speccy to monitor my temperature it's quite stable with the CPU at 38C while the gpu at 40C while idling

Here is my components list:
cpu: fx 8320e
motherboard: msi 970 gaming
gpu: gt 1030
Ram:hyperx 16gb 1866mhz
cpu cooler: CM Nepton 240m
psu: CM G750M

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It might be the PSU as you say it's random.

You noticed it happens when downloading it might be faulty storage.

Do you have HDDs or SSDs? Use HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo to check their SMART health status and see if there are any bad sectors.

ddarth

Prominent
Oct 6, 2018
It might be the PSU as you say it's random.

You noticed it happens when downloading it might be faulty storage.

Do you have HDDs or SSDs? Use HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo to check their SMART health status and see if there are any bad sectors.
i have both ssd and hdd. the ssd is for windows and the hdd is mainly for games, etc. and thanks ill try that

ddarth

Prominent
Oct 6, 2018
UPDATE: I took out one of the ram and the restart hasn't happened since. Don't really know if this is the cause though since there's no error when i use memory diagnostic tool to check the ram. but hey if it works, it works.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
UPDATE: I took out one of the ram and the restart hasn't happened since. Don't really know if this is the cause though since there's no error when i use memory diagnostic tool to check the ram. but hey if it works, it works.
Perfectly possible. Faulty or mis-configured RAM can easily cause random reboots.
If you had changed literally nothing and then suddenly the module started causing problems, I would just return it if you still have any warranty on it.