[SOLVED] PC Randomly Reboots, PSU / Mobo to blame?

Sep 21, 2021
So I've been having an issue for several weeks now (basically dating to when I change my CPU and upgraded bios) that my PC will randomly reboot and I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue. I have to admit up front, i made a CPU upgrade (3900 -> 5950) and did a bios update at the same time (using the same mobo that was stable prior to the upgrade), and on top of that did an overclock out of the gate on the new chip. In hindsight, it was a bad idea to change that many variables all at the same time but the issue cropped up after the Chip upgrade, bios update, and manual overclock (in the bios).

The reboots can happen anywhere from 8 hours into a boot cycle to 5 -30 minutes; It's really random and I haven't been able to force the issue on it's own. Most of the time this happens while playing a game (escape from Tarkov) and primarily only does it when I'm in the menus, though it sometimes does it while in raid (but less frequently). I've not experienced the issue as often when playing other games but all of that seems circumstantial because if i leave my PC on with nothing loaded, sometimes it will reboot / be at the login screen when I get home from work.

I've tried the following, but the issue still persists:
  1. Reset BIOS to stock settings (still on the latest BIOS for my motherboard)
  2. Replaced all 4 memory sticks with new ones (64 GB)
  3. Monitored CPU/GPU temperatures until time of reboot, CPU maintains an average of 50°C, GPU <65°C
  4. Checked that all physical connections to the motherboard are secure & not loose
  5. Installed latest graphics card drivers
  6. Installed/Up to date on windows 10 updates
I don't believe i have a thermal issue causing it to reboot as the CPU gets no-where near dangerous temps, nor does the GPU. I'm beginning to think the PSU is starting to fail and I'm getting random power draw spikes that are causing it to reboot at random times under heavy loading. I've noticed in the task manager that EscapeFromTarkov and Chrome show as "Very High" power draw and as I noted the reboots occur more often when I'm playing Tarkov, though it does happen outside of that.

The second thing that I've noticed is since changing the memory, when my PC reboots the lights on the memory sticks are behaving very weird and going completely haywire; They flicker through RGB extremely fast (this is not a default setting, nor one that I enabled) and other times only half of the LED's on a stick will be lit while the others will be off. This is the second thing thinking I have an issue with either the PSU or maybe even possibly the motherboard?

Lastly, I noticed last night I'm getting a weird buzzing noise from my GPU / GPU fans (possibly unrelated to the reboot issue?). I am completely perplexed at this point. I ordered a new PSU to try but was hoping to get some insight / see if anyone has any thoughts (my second PC has a dead power supply fan so in case this doesnt resolve the issue, I needed it anyhow).

All of my components are less than a year old. My system specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler: Gigabyte AORUS 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE Gaming Motherboard AM4
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300 G+ 80+ Gold 1300W Fully Modular (220-GP-1300-X1)
Memory: 4 x 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite Series DDR4 4000 (F4-4000C16D-32GTEG)
Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090-O24G-GAMING

Solution
So I've been having an issue for several weeks now (basically dating to when I change my CPU and upgraded bios) that my PC will randomly reboot and I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue. I have to admit up front, i made a CPU upgrade (3900 -> 5950) and did a bios update at the same time (using the same mobo that was stable prior to the upgrade), and on top of that did an overclock out of the gate on the new chip. In hindsight, it was a bad idea to change that many variables all at the same time but the issue cropped up after the Chip upgrade, bios update, and manual overclock (in the bios).

The reboots can happen anywhere from 8 hours into a boot cycle to 5 -30 minutes; It's really random and I haven't been able to force the...

The reboots can happen anywhere from 8 hours into a boot cycle to 5 -30 minutes; It's really random and I haven't been able to force the issue on it's own. Most of the time this happens while playing a game (escape from Tarkov) and primarily only does it when I'm in the menus, though it sometimes does it while in raid (but less frequently). I've not experienced the issue as often when playing other games but all of that seems circumstantial because if i leave my PC on with nothing loaded, sometimes it will reboot / be at the login screen when I get home from work.

I've tried the following, but the issue still persists:
  1. Reset BIOS to stock settings (still on the latest BIOS for my motherboard)
  2. Replaced all 4 memory sticks with new ones (64 GB)
  3. Monitored CPU/GPU temperatures until time of reboot, CPU maintains an average of 50°C, GPU <65°C
  4. Checked that all physical connections to the motherboard are secure & not loose
  5. Installed latest graphics card drivers
  6. Installed/Up to date on windows 10 updates
I don't believe i have a thermal issue causing it to reboot as the CPU gets no-where near dangerous temps, nor does the GPU. I'm beginning to think the PSU is starting to fail and I'm getting random power draw spikes that are causing it to reboot at random times under heavy loading. I've noticed in the task manager that EscapeFromTarkov and Chrome show as "Very High" power draw and as I noted the reboots occur more often when I'm playing Tarkov, though it does happen outside of that.

The second thing that I've noticed is since changing the memory, when my PC reboots the lights on the memory sticks are behaving very weird and going completely haywire; They flicker through RGB extremely fast (this is not a default setting, nor one that I enabled) and other times only half of the LED's on a stick will be lit while the others will be off. This is the second thing thinking I have an issue with either the PSU or maybe even possibly the motherboard?

Lastly, I noticed last night I'm getting a weird buzzing noise from my GPU / GPU fans (possibly unrelated to the reboot issue?). I am completely perplexed at this point. I ordered a new PSU to try but was hoping to get some insight / see if anyone has any thoughts (my second PC has a dead power supply fan so in case this doesnt resolve the issue, I needed it anyhow).

All of my components are less than a year old. My system specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler: Gigabyte AORUS 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE Gaming Motherboard AM4
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300 G+ 80+ Gold 1300W Fully Modular (220-GP-1300-X1)
Memory: 4 x 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite Series DDR4 4000 (F4-4000C16D-32GTEG)
Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090-O24G-GAMING
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 32 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Update the bios to the latest again then load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install Chipset driver then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them. then enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling in graphics settings.

• Also try to lock the voltage and underclock the gpu clock and see if it helps.
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 21, 2021
Thanks for the quick reply! I will give this a try when I get home tonight. Would changing the CPU on the same motherboard without doing the above steps be a likely cause for the behavior I'm seeing?

• Also try to lock the voltage and underclock the gpu clock and see if it helps.

I did have the CPU voltage set to 1.3125 and then 1.25 both before and after I changed the processor (because the default voltage handling on the Ryzen chips tends to run a bit hot, like 70-80°C hot).... but once i changed the processor and started getting these issues I thought it was the OC settings and so I've just been on default bios settings. I haven't tried this on the GPU though, but will report back once I get a moment to sort out the above tonight! And I don't think I'm using a branched cable on the GPU connection but will double check (and since I've got a 3090 I've got 3 8-pin power connectors going to it).

Thanks for the quick reply! I will give this a try when I get home tonight. Would changing the CPU on the same motherboard without doing the above steps be a likely cause for the behavior I'm seeing?

I did have the CPU voltage set to 1.3125 and then 1.25 both before and after I changed the processor (because the default voltage handling on the Ryzen chips tends to run a bit hot, like 70-80°C hot).... but once i changed the processor and started getting these issues I thought it was the OC settings and so I've just been on default bios settings. I haven't tried this on the GPU though, but will report back once I get a moment to sort out the above tonight! And I don't think I'm using a branched cable on the GPU connection but will double check (and since I've got a 3090 I've got 3 8-pin power connectors going to it).
i mean the gpu too, lock the stock voltage and do some little underclock, sometimes gpu bins arn't good enough that it cant stand the core clock boost provided by nvidia algorithm, i heard this from someone in thi forum but couldn't find the post, what he did was making sure the cable is not branched and lock the voltage + underclock, might help you with this case. but do the thing i told you before doing this :D

Sep 21, 2021
So i waited a couple days to reply, at first I had some stability issues but that was because I couldn't resist overclocking the memory a little higher than it could run stable; After doing the steps you highlighted above and on a stable memory OC, I have had zero random reboots and the LED's on my memory sticks are no longer going berzerk. On top of that CPU/GPU temperatures and behavior is much better as well. Thank you so much!! I was starting to lose my mind!

i mean the gpu too, lock the stock voltage and do some little underclock, sometimes gpu bins arn't good enough that it cant stand the core clock boost provided by nvidia algorithm, i heard this from someone in thi forum but couldn't find the post, what he did was making sure the cable is not branched and lock the voltage + underclock, might help you with this case. but do the thing i told you before doing this :D

So i waited a couple days to reply, at first I had some stability issues but that was because I couldn't resist overclocking the memory a little higher than it could run stable; After doing the steps you highlighted above and on a stable memory OC, I have had zero random reboots and the LED's on my memory sticks are no longer going berzerk. On top of that CPU/GPU temperatures and behavior is much better as well. Thank you so much!! I was starting to lose my mind!
your welcome, i'm glad that i could help :D