PC randomly reboots while playing games

Sep 9, 2018
Hello all, as the title says my PC is randomly rebooting while playing games with no BSOD or error messages. The is something new that started a few months ago (My PC is almost 3 years old). The first time it happened I thought it was just a glitch in one game, but then it started happening with other games as well. It only happens with games, otherwise everything else is stable. Sometimes I can play for a long time without any problems, other times it happens one after the other. Here are my specs:

O/S: Windows 10 64-bit

PSU: CORSAIR CX-M series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500

MB: MSI Z170-A PRO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

GFX: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G

MEM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

Here are the things I've tried:
-I've monitored the CPU and GPU temp and they were well within range when it happens.

-I've dusted off the insides, and didn't see any bulging capacitors.

-I've put the PSU on it's own power cord, no luck.

-I've installed older & newer graphic drivers.

-I looked at the event log and didn't see anything of interest. There was a critical kernel-power error but all it said was there was an unexpected loss of power, which didn't tell me anything I didn't know.

-The BIOS is updated as well as other drivers.

-I've reseated the GFX card, memory, and power cords.

-I had done a clean install about 8 months ago, so it hasn't been that long.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
That part in your post about the power error and loss of power makes me highly suspect it actually IS your psu causing the issue, as it's failing under load.
Looks like you have the older CX model with the black, green and white label on the unit. These models weren't of particularly great quality. Corsair has since released improved versions of these with a black and silver label.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That part in your post about the power error and loss of power makes me highly suspect it actually IS your psu causing the issue, as it's failing under load.
Looks like you have the older CX model with the black, green and white label on the unit. These models weren't of particularly great quality. Corsair has since released improved versions of these with a black and silver label.

Solution

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Agreed. Psu would be the next thing I tried. I don't know about the quality of that specific corsair. As with anything even with high quality you may run into a issue now and then. If you dont have a replacement to try, for now I might even unplug all the connections and replug them in just to make sure everything is connected well (slim chance, but for 2 mins of work might as well)

Edit: never mind I see you already have

Sep 9, 2018
Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it. The PSU was one of my suspects, but I thought I would ask someone with more knowledge. My current one is not a very good, from what I've read it's a tier 4 PSU. I don't have a spare one to try, so I might just gamble on buying a better one and cross my fingers.

Sep 9, 2018
Apr 13, 2018
Might be possible, it is a problem with your PSX... mine was giving the same problem which I corrected by replacing my FSP Hyper K 500W Power Supply to FSP Hyper K 600W Power Supply.....problem solved.....