Question PC randomly restarting after moving to a new apartment

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Hello all,

I just moved into a new apartment upstairs in the same building and my pc has been randomly restarting. Ever since setting up my pc in my new room I have been getting random restarts in games or even while watching YouTube. Literally last week prior to the move I had not suffered a restart or any issues since upgrading my computer.

The only things I can think of are that the new outlets were mentioned to be stronger in this new unit (I think the landlord mentioned 240v or something)

I tried reseating the GPU and RAM.

On startup the VGA light shows red but only for a few seconds then stops (this was happening before but didn't seem to cause any issues this last year before the move)

I do run a space heater in the unit which may be drawing power (not sure if this even matters or would conflict with power to the pc)

PC:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86)
PSU: RM 850x (about a year old
Geforce RTX 3080 Undervolted
OS is on a Sandisk SATAIII SSD
EVO 860 SSD
PRO 850 SSD

If anyone has any advice or help I'd greatly appreciate it! I feel like I'm going insane trying to figure this out / what the issue could be lol

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It would be logical to consider that most likely your service comes in at ground level on the bld, and then coming to your breaker panel on a long service cable is dropping the ability to push amperage. IDK where you are in the world, but US is typically on 120VAC for wall outlets. Most often (here) the only things in the house needing more are HVAC, stove, and maybe your water tank. Anyway, I don't know where you are, so 240VAC could be normal....

My suggestion in this case would be to consider purchasing a quality battery backup with line conditioning. You might have to leave it plugged in for a bit before attaching components to it.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Did you look into the Bios setting to see if your PC is configured to restart after a power lost?
Did you look into the Bios setting to see if your PC is configured to restart after a power lost?
I have not checked yet but will do and report back! Would this indicate low voltages or an issue with the outlet supplying power? Also could I simply turn this off and circumvent the issue?

Thanks for the response.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
It would be logical to consider that most likely your service comes in at ground level on the bld, and then coming to your breaker panel on a long service cable is dropping the ability to push amperage. IDK where you are in the world, but US is typically on 120VAC for wall outlets. Most often (here) the only things in the house needing more are HVAC, stove, and maybe your water tank. Anyway, I don't know where you are, so 240VAC could be normal....

My suggestion in this case would be to consider purchasing a quality battery backup with line conditioning. You might have to leave it plugged in for a bit before attaching components to it.
Hmm well this is extremely concerning, I hope this is not the case as we've already signed the lease and such a thing did not occur to me after moving. I talked to the landlord and he suggested restarting the breaker for the room and that something like this was impossible. I'm no electrician so this sort of thing is starting to get beyond my sphere of knowledge. I really appreciate the explanation!

Will also look into a battery backup, however they look awfully expensive on first glance!

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019

I may also be looking up the wrong thing lol, could you please link me an example of what you mean?

Thank you so much! I'm a newbie when it comes to power and stuff.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I may also be looking up the wrong thing lol, could you please link me an example of what you mean?

Thank you so much! I'm a newbie when it comes to power and stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't have a reference on hand....but essentially when power is transmitted down a conductor such as copper line (etc.) the farther it goes the larger a wire it needs in order to supply the needed current, as well as the larger the power source needed to provide a target voltage/amperage. Obviously, you can't change the amount of power available at your service, nor can you likely get the apartment landlord to pull a new larger service cable (even if that is actually the only problem at hand).

If you are familiar with construction, you know that when you run a saw off a small gauge and long run of drop cable, it cuts the efficiency of the saw and risks damage to it from amperage drop/voltage drop.

Keep in mind that the above is merely a guess based on the details provided. YMMV

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Unfortunately, I don't have a reference on hand....but essentially when power is transmitted down a conductor such as copper line (etc.) the farther it goes the larger a wire it needs in order to supply the needed current, as well as the larger the power source needed to provide a target voltage/amperage. Obviously, you can't change the amount of power available at your service, nor can you likely get the apartment landlord to pull a new larger service cable (even if that is actually the only problem at hand).

If you are familiar with construction, you know that when you run a saw off a small gauge and long run of drop cable, it cuts the efficiency of the saw and risks damage to it from amperage drop/voltage drop.

Keep in mind that the above is merely a guess based on the details provided. YMMV
Ahh thanks for the explanation though! Makes total sense. I should have been more specific, I was referring to the "quality battery backup with line conditioning". When I looked it up there were a ton of different models and the prices varied quiet a bit. No worries if you don't have any recommendations, just was asking as I don't even really know what to be looking up besides what you mentioned. Much appreciated!

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Lol, I was on the whole other page.

I personally own an APC and have had exceptional service out of it. There are many other decent brands available, and yes, typically good ones cost a bit.
Totally good!

I'll check that brand out then. I guess I'm just struggling to understand what it does and what even a good one or decent brand to look for. Thanks for the suggestion!