PC Specs:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

GPU : MSI R9 380 4GB

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Storage : SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Blue 1 TB Hard Drive

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Ever since two weeks ago my PC will constantly crash without warning. No BSOD is displayed, instead the PC will just go straight into a restart. This crash happens frequently when im gaming, and less frequently when watching videos or just surfing the web. It happens without warning and randomly.

I have reseated the hardware as well as check for dust. I have ran memtest and hard drive scans and all came back fine. I have reverted back to an older GPU driver.

I have ran OCCT using the GPU , PSU, RAM and CPU stress tests. The RAM and CPU tests are fine with no noticeable temperature jumps or errors.
The PSU and GPU tests however have a high chance of causing a restart.

Event viewer shows kernel-power (41) errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hey, i had similiar problems with my 2008 computer, tried changing PSU as you and it had no impact, im pretty sure it's motherboard problem, defective capacitors which can be replaced by experienced tehnician, or just buy a new motherboard. You can inspect motherboard capacitors and see if you can find an inflated or blown one, but either way i suggest you a new motherboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
event 41 (63) isn't an error. its a reaction to a restart
On startup windows runs a report and if it finds it wasn't shutdown correctly it creates this event

if it restarts without BSOD its not windows.

Could it be a heat issue?

I would run HWINFO and run logging while running one of the things that will cause a restart, and see if it shows anything on the results.
when you start it, click show sensors and run
in bottom right of the window are icons,
Click on the icon to the right of the clock icon, that shows "Logging start" if you hover mouse over it
this opens file explorer where you can make a log file, name it something logical like the date, and run it everytime you expect to see the problem.
the output can be opened in excel or google docs.

If you want you can upload the csv file and show link here.

Oct 24, 2020
event 41 (63) isn't an error. its a reaction to a restart
On startup windows runs a report and if it finds it wasn't shutdown correctly it creates this event

if it restarts without BSOD its not windows.

Could it be a heat issue?

I would run HWINFO and run logging while running one of the things that will cause a restart, and see if it shows anything on the results.
when you start it, click show sensors and run
in bottom right of the window are icons,
Click on the icon to the right of the clock icon, that shows "Logging start" if you hover mouse over it
this opens file explorer where you can make a log file, name it something logical like the date, and run it everytime you expect to see the problem.
the output can be opened in excel or google docs.

If you want you can upload the csv file and show link here.

Thanks for the fast response. I have included the csv file. Would you mind taking a look?

Thanks in advance!

Link : http://www.mediafire.com/file/0msg6i09qe6akve/24-10-20.CSV/file

Colif

Win 11 Master
your 12volt rail appears to be running at 10.028 almost all way through the test, that is way out of spec. it drops down to 9. at some stages.

the minimum it is allowed to go is 11.4 as per - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

Your PSU is the cause, its not supplying enough power to keep everything on in games. Idle use or videos isn't going to use as much power.

Need another PSU that can supply the power your PC needs. I would suggest a Seasonic but I could be biased as thats what I have :)

i have asked someone to double check my findings as I may have read it wrong. it should be obvious in the sensor window in hwinfo - for instance:
HlHPq3l.jpg

Its possible hwinfo recorded it wrong so you can check it in the bios or with a multimeter

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020
your 12volt rail appears to be running at 10.028 almost all way through the test, that is way out of spec. it drops down to 9. at some stages.

the minimum it is allowed to go is 11.4 as per - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

Your PSU is the cause, its not supplying enough power to keep everything on in games. Idle use or videos isn't going to use as much power.

Need another PSU that can supply the power your PC needs. I would suggest a Seasonic but I could be biased as thats what I have :)

i have asked someone to double check my findings as I may have read it wrong. it should be obvious in the sensor window in hwinfo - for instance:
HlHPq3l.jpg

Its possible hwinfo recorded it wrong so you can check it in the bios or with a multimeter

Had a feeling it was the PSU and this may have confirmed it. I have ordered a new one and hopefully this fixes it, thanks !

Oct 24, 2020

HlHPq3l.jpg

Upon further investigation I found my BIOS to be displaying 12.164 as my 12V rail value , is this an error on the HWINFO side or the BIOS? Where would I go from here?

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
Hey, i had similiar problems with my 2008 computer, tried changing PSU as you and it had no impact, im pretty sure it's motherboard problem, defective capacitors which can be replaced by experienced tehnician, or just buy a new motherboard. You can inspect motherboard capacitors and see if you can find an inflated or blown one, but either way i suggest you a new motherboard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.