PC randomly restarts. Unable to create dump file, no BSOD

cheeseggs

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi guys, I have been experiencing a restart issue for the past month after a new build.

The computer will restart in the middle of anything. Whether it's idle or if I'm browsing the internet. It will then continuously loop at the motherboard splash screen (goes black, shows motherboard logo, goes black again) without letting me boot into bios. After a few minutes, it will then boot into windows.

Today, the computer has restarted several times and started showing the startup repair option.

I have been unable to find any dump files even after turning the option on. I have automatic restart turned off as well but the computer still restarts on its own and shows no BSOD.

However, google chrome still remembers to restore the pages that I have been browsing when I log back on.

Specs:
Processor: Intel i5-4590
8GB RAM Kingston
GPU: GTX 960
PSU: Coolermaster V650 (V550 before replacement)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-plus
Windows 10

Every time it restarts, the same log will appear in the event viewer stating the following:

Event 41, Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Level: Critical
User: SYSTEM
0x8000200000000002
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0

I have done the following:
- HDD smart test
- memtestx86 (13 passes no errors)
- Replaced motherboard & PSU
- Reinstalled windows 10 several times due to the system being stuck at automatic startup repairs
- Installed the newest drivers
- Installed latest windows 10 updates

I have posted this problem before but was still unable to resolve the issue. I am urgently trying to finish a project so I am hoping you guys would be able to help? Thank you for reading.

Solution
That last CMOS reset must have changed boot order, or maybe switched the access mode for the hard drive (e.g. from Legacy IDE to AHCI or some such).
Crashes are often caused by heat or power issues, but you seem to have ruled those out. One last test there may be useful; take the side off your case and aim a common household fan into your PC to see if something is overheating that isn't being measured.
You might try running with a single stick of RAM for a while.

cheeseggs

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

hi, I have been checking the temps constantly with hwinfo for a few weeks now and ruled overheating out. This is pretty puzzling :/

cheeseggs

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Hi Onus, I have tried resetting the cmos once before by taking the battery out and replacing it. But when I tried booting the computer up, it showed windows as non-bootable and had to do a clean reinstall. I'm trying to RMA any parts that might be faulty though. What do you think could be the cause of the random restarts?

That last CMOS reset must have changed boot order, or maybe switched the access mode for the hard drive (e.g. from Legacy IDE to AHCI or some such).
Crashes are often caused by heat or power issues, but you seem to have ruled those out. One last test there may be useful; take the side off your case and aim a common household fan into your PC to see if something is overheating that isn't being measured.
You might try running with a single stick of RAM for a while.

Solution