Question PC randomly restarts when NOT gaming.

Aug 6, 2022
Title. The pc will randomly shut off and restart when im NOT playing a game. It runs fine with no issues as long as im playing certain games even if they are just running in the background. For example I can just open Dark Souls 3 and leave it in the main menu and the issue disappears (I have 10.5k hours on ds3 because of this)

Like I said this only works with certain games. Pc is fine while playing more demanding games
But with LESS demanding/low spec/older games, it will still randomly shut off & restart.
Also might be worth noting my PC particularly hates Minecraft and will shut off within minutes while playing it (Unless I have DS3 running in the background, then its fine)

I have tried troubleshooting with someone in the past and ruled out alot then after a while they found this post which seems to line up with the problems im having:
https://superuser.com/questions/1024417/pc-rebooting-randomly-when-not-playing-games-light-idle-load

The answer they got was:
"This hints at the CPU/idling too low and core voltage dropping below a workable threshold. When the machine is busy Speedstep won't pull back, but once its left alone it becomes unstable.
Setting vDroop and core voltage should resolve it, and if needed you can manually configure the rest of the CPU config instead of automatic management."

So this may be the answer, But I have no Idea how to fix it as I don't see any options for vdroop in the bios. Any help would be much appreciated

Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 7400 @ 3.00GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1200MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
MSI B250M BAZOOKA (MS-7A70) (U3E1)
Graphics
2460G4 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 630 (MSI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA )

PSU
EVGA 450 watt 80+ Bronze

Also had an RX 580 in there but it died recently

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS