[SOLVED] Pc randomly restarts while gaming.

Jun 17, 2021
Hello,

I recently build a new pc using my old graphics card. Everything was working fine but noticed that my Pc kept shutting down when playing games. This happens randomly usually between 5 minutes to 2 hours and more frequently for demanding titles. One time it happened while watching a youtube video but that was an exception. I dont get any bluescreens etc., just black screen and then instant restart.

Things I pretty much ruled out:

- Its not an overheating issue, checked temp for every component.

- Reinstalled most drivers and deleted everything on my old secondary SSD which I transfered from my old PC.

- I did two intensive benchmark tests for over 3 hours, so I doubt that its my PSU.

- My BIOS is up to date.

- I did a memtest

Specs:

GTX 970 (old PC)

Ryzen 5 5600x

MSI MAG B550M Bazooka

Crusial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

600W 80+ Gold PSU from bequiet

500 GB NVME SSD

2 TB SDD Sata (old PC)

Windows 10

Im happy about any answer :) Thank you!

Solution
I did a stresstest with GPU and CPU at 100% for half an hour and all voltages seem perfectly normal. GPU temp was at 80 Degree Celcius but nothing serious.

At this point I dont really know what to do.. Some people in other discussions mentioned that it could be a sound driver problem but dont really know how to test it. Is there a possibilty to dissable your sound card all together?
If you ran the GPU and the CPU at 100% for a half hour and the voltages didn't vary more than 5% from what they are supposed to be...I think the power supply is probably not the issue.
It's possible that it's a hardware issue. (like the MB....GPU....)
If I had one....I would swap in another GPU...any GPU....to see if the problem goes away.
It could...
"so I doubt that its my PSU. "
I wouldn't rule it out completely.
Many stress tests don't stress the CPU and GPU at the same time like a game does.
What specific model PSU? It's brand new?
From what I see...there are good Be Quiets and not so good ones.

Jun 17, 2021
Its the "be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply", brand new. Is there a simple way to test my PSU? Like a specific stress test?

Its the "be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply", brand new. Is there a simple way to test my PSU? Like a specific stress test?
There are a few ways.
One way is to download and run HWInfo.
There are three important voltages. +12, +5 and + 3.3
They are displayed in the MB section of HWinfo (if your MB reports them...but most do).
You want them to remain within 5% of these values at all times....including under the heaviest load you can apply.
If they don't....get a new PSU.
If the PC crashes when you put it under heavy load.....setup HWInfo to log the data to a file.....and you can look at it after.....and it will show the voltages right up to the instant of the crash.

Jun 17, 2021
There are a few ways.
One way is to download and run HWInfo.
There are three important voltages. +12, +5 and + 3.3
They are displayed in the MB section of HWinfo (if your MB reports them...but most do).
You want them to remain within 5% of these values at all times....including under the heaviest load you can apply.
If they don't....get a new PSU.
If the PC crashes when you put it under heavy load.....setup HWInfo to log the data to a file.....and you can look at it after.....and it will show the voltages right up to the instant of the crash.

I did a stresstest with GPU and CPU at 100% for half an hour and all voltages seem perfectly normal. GPU temp was at 80 Degree Celcius but nothing serious.

At this point I dont really know what to do.. Some people in other discussions mentioned that it could be a sound driver problem but dont really know how to test it. Is there a possibilty to dissable your sound card all together?

If you ran the GPU and the CPU at 100% for a half hour and the voltages didn't vary more than 5% from what they are supposed to be...I think the power supply is probably not the issue.
It's possible that it's a hardware issue. (like the MB....GPU....)
If I had one....I would swap in another GPU...any GPU....to see if the problem goes away.
It could also be a problem with the MB.
Something I would also do...but I tend to doubt you can.
I save images of my OS hard drive at various time intervals.
I can always go back.
I would install an old image of the drive.....to see if the problem goes away....and if it did...I could blame it on software.

Solution