[SOLVED] PC Randomly Restarts while playing higher-end games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello,

As of recently, my PC has been restarting while playing some higher-end/newer games. For example, while playing Borderlands 3, my PC will sometimes (although rarely) randomly restart. This usually happens during a cutscene. I've noticed this happening more frequently with the new Modern Warfare beta that just came out. Whenever I enter a loading screen to play a match, my computer restarts immediately with no stopcode.

After checking event viewer, I noticed it was restarting with ID 41.

My specs are:
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: i7-4790k
RAM: 16 GBs (DDR3)
MB: Gigabyte Z97-HD3

I monitored my temps, and they seem relatively normal (not going above 80c). None of my parts are OC'd.

I think the cause of these issues could either be my lack of RAM or the fact that I have 5 hard drives plugged into my PC, although I don't seem to have this issue with any other games (I can run Monster Hunter: World just fine). I am also using three monitors, not sure if that would effect much, though.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much!

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
I was surprised when you said green label and bought months ago since the green labels havent been made for a some time.

The grey label cx750 should power that system fine. See ehat the replacement does.

Btw, that psu has a 5 yr warranty in case this happens again.
I hope it doesn't happen again lol. If it does, I'm afraid that it's something other than the power supply, but I have no idea what else it could be.

Jan 7, 2020
It might be ok for testing, but I personally would not use that PSU with a 2080.

You might as well try it to see if it works, then you know the other PSU is at fault.
If it continues, you learned nothing as both PSUs may be the issue since the W1 is very crappy quality.

I had a similar issue after building a new system in November using MSI B360 Gaming Plus/Core i7 8700/GSkill Ripjaws ram/ Gigabyte RX 5700 and a Corsair CX750m PSU. I had some initial issues getting the build up and running (restart loop and would not boot or go into BIOS). This should have been my first clue. I then got the system to boot and all was good for a month. I got my son a XFX RX5700 GPU for Christmas but it wouldnt fit in his case so I swapped my Gigabyte GPU because the card was shorter. My system then became unstable. It would shut off and restart under graphics load. I thought it was GPU/drivers and and I wasted many hours loading, unloading, and reloading video drivers. After changing the motherboard, which got damaged in the troubleshooting process, my new PSU came in and I installed it. Problem solved. The Corsair PSU is junk. At least mine was. I got a EVGA Supernova 750 Watt PSU and it runs everything great and at lower temps. Do not waste your time or money on cheaper PSU. It may save you in the short term but it cost me a new motherboard and many hours in the long run.