[SOLVED] PC Randomly Restarts while playing higher-end games?

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello,

As of recently, my PC has been restarting while playing some higher-end/newer games. For example, while playing Borderlands 3, my PC will sometimes (although rarely) randomly restart. This usually happens during a cutscene. I've noticed this happening more frequently with the new Modern Warfare beta that just came out. Whenever I enter a loading screen to play a match, my computer restarts immediately with no stopcode.

After checking event viewer, I noticed it was restarting with ID 41.

My specs are:
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: i7-4790k
RAM: 16 GBs (DDR3)
MB: Gigabyte Z97-HD3

I monitored my temps, and they seem relatively normal (not going above 80c). None of my parts are OC'd.

I think the cause of these issues could either be my lack of RAM or the fact that I have 5 hard drives plugged into my PC, although I don't seem to have this issue with any other games (I can run Monster Hunter: World just fine). I am also using three monitors, not sure if that would effect much, though.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much!

Sep 29, 2019
I have a similar problem, check my thread. Something to note is that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I didn't have any of these problems with the EXACT SAME GAMES on Windows 7.

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
I do have a 600 watt power supply that I used before I upgraded to my 2080 and new power supply, would that be sufficient enough to power my system during heavy load? I know the 2080 says that it can use up to 550 Watts, so I'm not a hundred percent sure

It might be ok for testing, but I personally would not use that PSU with a 2080.

You might as well try it to see if it works, then you know the other PSU is at fault.
If it continues, you learned nothing as both PSUs may be the issue since the W1 is very crappy quality.

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
It might be ok for testing, but I personally would not use that PSU with a 2080.

You might as well try it to see if it works, then you know the other PSU is at fault.
If it continues, you learned nothing as both PSUs may be the issue since the W1 is very crappy quality.
It wouldn't be permanent, as Corsair says they'll give me a new PSU if I send back the old one. I was just wondering if I could use the W1 temporarily until I receive my new PSU. However, I don't want to use it if it means risking damage to other parts in my system.

victorthelama

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Some updates:

First off, I had the model wrong. Turns out I did have the silver label, not the green label.

Second, I contacted Corsair customer support and I got approved for a RMA, so I'm sending back the current one and getting a new one. Hopefully this will stop any issues I've been having.

I was surprised when you said green label and bought months ago since the green labels havent been made for a some time.

The grey label cx750 should power that system fine. See ehat the replacement does.

Btw, that psu has a 5 yr warranty in case this happens again.