[SOLVED] PC randomly restarts

ochiesays

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
So I just finished building a new pc and it will just randomly restart, usually during gaming. All of the parts (except the HDD) are under a year old and I have tried multiple solutions. I have reinstalled windows and reformatted both hard drives, unplugged and plugged back in the psu leads, checked the temps and ram usage, updated all the drivers and bios, and everything seems to be operating normally. I have built many systems and this is the first time I have had this issue. Maybe there is some small thing I am missing, but right now I feel like I have exhausted all my knowledge on the subject. Thank you all for the help!

System specs:

Asus ROG Strix X470-I
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Corsair LPX 16GB 2133Mhz
EVGA GTX 1070ti
Corsair CX750 750W
Samsung 500GB SSD
Western Digital 1 TB HDD

Solution
I had this problem with a mac once, where the thing crashed because the GPU couldn't handle it because it was set to dynamic mode. whenever i'd set it to integrated mode it was able to withstand some heavier loads (integrated meaning the graphical controll came from the mob instead of the GPU i think). Mac or not a mac, this could be the problem with your pc (not completely sure but it is possible). Plug in the screen to the mobo graphics and play a game or whatever. If the game runs fine and it doesn't crash, it's the graphics card.

ochiesays

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Strange, I just got the PSU a month ago so I don't know why that would be occurring, the PSU should be delivering enough power. Should I just try my 650W and see if it holds? I had the 750W in a different system for a month while I was waiting on parts and never had this issue.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
I had this problem with a mac once, where the thing crashed because the GPU couldn't handle it because it was set to dynamic mode. whenever i'd set it to integrated mode it was able to withstand some heavier loads (integrated meaning the graphical controll came from the mob instead of the GPU i think). Mac or not a mac, this could be the problem with your pc (not completely sure but it is possible). Plug in the screen to the mobo graphics and play a game or whatever. If the game runs fine and it doesn't crash, it's the graphics card.

Solution

ochiesays

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Update! Switched the PSU from the 750W to the 650W and still had the restarting issue. Not sure what to try next, maybe reseating the CPU? The temperatures are good, but it's the only thing I can think of at this point. The GPU is connected through a ribbon so it can sit upright so maybe I should plug it directly into the mobo. Will a bad GPU connection cause a restart? I didn't think so, but thought I would ask.