[SOLVED] PC randomly restarts

Aug 19, 2019
My issue started on Friday, few days ago. When I installed 2 Noctua 140mm industrialPPC fans. Before I installed them, I had no issues. But now I can be playing a game, sitting there idling or just looking at stuff on the internet, it restarts with no blue screen. I looked in the event viewer and it shows no error or critical. I even did the update recovery, since I know people been having issues with 1903 Windows 10 update but that didn't work.

Ryzen 5 2600x
ASUS Prime X470 Pro
EVGA Black XC RTX 2070
G.Skill 3200GHz 2x8GB DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB m.2 NVM
Seagate 2TB storage
Windows 10
Seasonic 850watt Gold Focus Plus

All my temps are fine. My CPU was overclocked to 4GHz and I have the Noctua D15. Temps stay around 61 degrees. My GPU is stock and stay around 60. It was overclocked but some games didnt like it and crashed. So I keep it stock.

Yesterday, I ran into some issues. I thought everything was up to date but wasn't. I tried flashing my bios to 5204 but failed 7 times.

I also ran Mem86. It did its 4 passes and ran with zero errors.

I ran Furmark and put extreme burn in setting on. Ran fine without any issues for half hour. Temps got high as 67.

I ran IntelBurnTest for half hour. No issues. 61 degrees with overclock at 4GHz.

But now I'm starting to get some really weird issues. After do these stress tests, the second I open a game, PC restarts. But now I log into Windows, I get a black screen and lose power to my mouse and keyboard. The PC hasn't restarted, as I hear sound. It did this 7 out of 10 times.

When I did have a successful log in, I did a diagnosis test on my SSD. 100% health and no issues.

I'm leaning towards my power supply or even the mobo might be failing.I can't do much more til Tuesday night.

Is there any other diagnostic tests I should do? I'm going to see if I can find a PSU tester today. But unfortunately, I dont have another mobo to try.

Solution
Have you tried formatting the USB that you were trying to update the BIOS off of, then putting the BIOS file on it again and try it then? Maybe a BIOS update will fix this issue if you can somehow do it. Try a different USB and a different port as well.

mandeep57

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
My issue started on Friday, few days ago. When I installed 2 Noctua 140mm industrialPPC fans. Before I installed them, I had no issues. But now I can be playing a game, sitting there idling or just looking at stuff on the internet, it restarts with no blue screen. I looked in the event viewer and it shows no error or critical. I even did the update recovery, since I know people been having issues with 1903 Windows 10 update but that didn't work.

Ryzen 5 2600x
ASUS Prime X470 Pro
EVGA Black XC RTX 2070
G.Skill 3200GHz 2x8GB DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB m.2 NVM
Seagate 2TB storage
Windows 10
Seasonic 850watt Gold Focus Plus

All my temps are fine. My CPU was overclocked to 4GHz and I have the Noctua D15. Temps stay around 61 degrees. My GPU is stock and stay around 60. It was overclocked but some games didnt like it and crashed. So I keep it stock.

Yesterday, I ran into some issues. I thought everything was up to date but wasn't. I tried flashing my bios to 5204 but failed 7 times.

I also ran Mem86. It did its 4 passes and ran with zero errors.

I ran Furmark and put extreme burn in setting on. Ran fine without any issues for half hour. Temps got high as 67.

I ran IntelBurnTest for half hour. No issues. 61 degrees with overclock at 4GHz.

But now I'm starting to get some really weird issues. After do these stress tests, the second I open a game, PC restarts. But now I log into Windows, I get a black screen and lose power to my mouse and keyboard. The PC hasn't restarted, as I hear sound. It did this 7 out of 10 times.

When I did have a successful log in, I did a diagnosis test on my SSD. 100% health and no issues.

I'm leaning towards my power supply or even the mobo might be failing.I can't do much more til Tuesday night.

Is there any other diagnostic tests I should do? I'm going to see if I can find a PSU tester today. But unfortunately, I dont have another mobo to try.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/74-...3-can-furmark-kill-your-gpu-actually-yes.html

Aug 19, 2019
Still doesn't explain why it was doing it before I ran Furmark. Like I said it started on Friday when I installed my 2 Noctua fan. I ran Furmark late last night. Probably 2 hours before I posted on here.

Aug 19, 2019
I haven't tried clearing CMOS yet. I won't be able to do anything til Tuesday night. I work 2 full time jobs and Monday and Tuesday I work both but u have Wednesday off from both that's why I gotta wait til Tuesday night. At that time, I'll also do DDU and see how that goes. Then I'm gonna see if I can find someone who has a PSU tester so I can test my power supply. Then I'll also try my video card in another system. Only 4 months old, makes it a bummer.

Super rare, but I have had fans do this to me in the past.
If installing the fan seems to be when it started, then try disconnecting them to see if it continues.
Now, in my case it was the fan headder, not the fan itself that was causing the intermittent issue, so perhaps try a different headder if you have one available?

Aug 19, 2019
I unplugged both fans. Still doing it. Before I got these 2 fans, I had just the 2 reg case fans plugged into fan 1 and 3. Then when I got these 2 new fans put in, I kept the fan that was in the back but plugged that one into Fan 1, as it was in fan 3 before. So I know Fan 1 and 3 worked fine. But maybe Fan 2 was faulty. That was where I plugged one of the new fans in. Maybe it was already faulty and it was waiting for something to happen.

Aug 19, 2019
Update. So I think I might have found the culprit of my windows black screen and power lose to my mouse and keyboard. Its had to say if it's the CPU or motherboard. My CPU was 4GHz at 1.28 voltage. Ran without issues. Cleared my CMOS last night. Booted right up into windows. Restarted 3 more times. All successful. Applied my known to work OC. Failed. Back to stock. Successful. Changed the voltage from auto to 1.25 on stock speeds. Failed boot. Gave some more voltage. Failed again. I went high as 1.45 voltage on stock with failed boot. Now I tried under voltage til 1.05. All failed. But once I put the voltage to auto it booted just fine. Even when I manual set my CPU speed, it would fail to boot. Unless everything was set to auto, it wouldn't boot.

Have you tried formatting the USB that you were trying to update the BIOS off of, then putting the BIOS file on it again and try it then? Maybe a BIOS update will fix this issue if you can somehow do it. Try a different USB and a different port as well.

Solution
Aug 19, 2019
It's the same USB stick I used when I first updated the bios to 5007 a week after it was released. But I haven't tried since the CMOS reset. I'll have time tonight and next 2 days to play around with it. If it doesnt work, I'll contact Asus.

The main thing is I'm able to get back into Windows just fine again. And it seems I'm not getting the random restarts I was getting to start it all off. So it's quite possible the CMOS reset might have fixed my random restarts and that.