Question PC randomly restarts

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Hello,

I got a new PC a couple of months ago, spec can be found here. It's been working fine, but on Thursday it suddenly restarted. No warning, no blue screen, nothing to indicate why. My monitors all went blank, then after a few seconds, I saw the motherboard logo appear as the PC restarted. Same thing happened today.

I looked in the event log, and there wasn't anything at all that gave any clue. No errors, no warnings, nothing.

C:\Windows\minidump doesn't contain any files, so nothing to help there.

My first thought on Thursday was that it was the heat, as it was a very hot day. However, today isn't so warm. I checked the temperatures in Speccy (see the above link), and while they are perhaps warmer than I'd like, I wouldn't have thought they were high enough to cause a sudden crash.

I realise I haven't give much useful information here, but I don't know what else to give. If anyone can suggest anything else I can use to find out what happened, I'd be very grateful.

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for the link. I don't think much of it is relevant, but there are a few things I can try. It's only happened twice, so I have no idea how long I'd have to wait to decide if it's fixed.

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Having not restarted since I posted the thread, it's just done it three times in the last 90 minutes.

I was going to recheck the link posted by @rgd1101 , but it seems to have been removed.

Anyone able to suggest what I might do to check out this problem? Thanks

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
@rgd1101 Thanks for the reply...

It happened twice about a month ago, a few days apart. Hasn't happened since then. Last night it happened three times within about 90 minutes.

I realised late last night that it could have been due to one or both of two factors. 1) it was warm in my office, and the CPU temperatures were in the upper 60s. Not sure if that's an issue or not. 2) The 2nd and 3rd times it happened, I was running a calculation that used pretty much all of the CPU power for about 5 minutes. I have done this calculation before, but the 2nd restart happened while it was a few minutes in, and the 3rd was the same. It only occurred to me afterwards that it might have been connected.

CPU temps were in the upper 60s, peaking around 70degs. Didn't look at GPU temps too carefully, but I think they were a bit lower.

How do I test with one GPU? Please clarify.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS