Nov 22, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO: MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4-3000
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo - 1TB
HDD: Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
PSU: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ BR

Hey everyone! Two weeks ago I built my first PC, and I love it when it works. From the day I put it together, I've been having issues with it randomly restarting. At first, it would restart about every two minutes - this changed when I enabled the A-XMP in the BIOS. Since then, the entire system will restart randomly or, sometimes, the system will stay on but the monitor will turn off and then turn on several times in a row. I cannot for the life of me figure out why.
What I've done so far:
  • Reassembled the PC to ensure everything is plugged in properly.
  • Updated the BIOS and installed the drivers for the CPU and GPU.
  • Tried running the system with only 1 RAM stick.
  • Replaced both RAM sticks with a new set.
  • Replaced the GPU with a new graphics card.
  • Ran MemTest86 which found no problems.
  • Ran several stress tests via OCCT. During the OCCT, the system did restart but I'm not sure if this triggered by something.
  • I've played GodFall and WoW: Shadowlands an hour each to see if heavy usage would cause the computer to restart. I was able to play both games with no issues.
I'm thinking it might be the PSU - maybe I have too low of a wattage? My other thought is that it's the motherboard...but I'm not sure what exactly might be wrong with it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Solution
Did you install windows freshly on it?

reset the BIOS by jumper, don´t alter the RAM speed and try again

try a different PSU, it might be faulty or not good enough for your hardware or just too old (degration)
Nov 22, 2020
Did you install windows freshly on it?

reset the BIOS by jumper, don´t alter the RAM speed and try again

try a different PSU, it might be faulty or not good enough for your hardware or just too old (degration)

I did install Windows freshly - I was having these issues before having Windows on the system.

I'll give the BIOS reset a try. All the parts are new, including the PSU, but I'll try changing it out for a higher wattage one.

no, it should do, but wouldn´t recommend it. It´s a very old unit (came out 2016) and could be problematic with newer components (high voltage/current spikes in very short times)

A good PSU in my opinion does provide at least 5years of warranty, better 7+
at least gold certificated ( if reviews of the PSU are showing similar values, certificate is not necessary)

Have a look at something like this
NZXT C 650
(warranty: 10 years )

for future proof I would go for a 750Watt PSU, if your budget allows it
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jf...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020131-na
(warranty: 7 years)
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XB...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-np-c750m-us

also have a look at this list:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020
no, it should do, but wouldn´t recommend it. It´s a very old unit (came out 2016) and could be problematic with newer components (high voltage/current spikes in very short times)

A good PSU in my opinion does provide at least 5years of warranty, better 7+
at least gold certificated ( if reviews of the PSU are showing similar values, certificate is not necessary)

Have a look at something like this
NZXT C 650

for future proof I would go for a 750Watt PSU, if your budget allows it
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jf...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020131-na
(warranty: 7 years)
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XB...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-np-c750m-us

also have a look at this list:

Thanks for your input! I went ahead and purchased the NZXT C650 along with a new CPU Cooler (Noctua NH-D15S) and I think my problem might have been solved. I'm running some tests right now, but so far everything looks good!

Reactions: helpstar